Tins vs. bags

Completely off the Topic of Tea

Tins vs. bags

Postby mikeman715 » Feb 7th, '08, 00:09

Hello,i was just wondering if you "must" put your teas into tins or do you just leave them in the bags?Also how important is it to keep tea in a canister/tin?Benefits vs the bags?

Thanks
mikeman715

Postby Salsero » Feb 7th, '08, 01:09

When I got started I bought a bunch of tins, but I've really never used them! I think that a mylar pack that you can roll down or sqeeze the air out of probably provides better storage conditions than a partly empty tin.

So I vote: use the bags.
Salsero

Postby Space Samurai » Feb 7th, '08, 01:53

I use both; tins are nice cos they stack. Anything I care about stays in the mylar bag for the reason Sal was talking about it; you can squeeze out the extra air.
Space Samurai

Postby Wesli » Feb 7th, '08, 02:29

If you drink it fast enough, bags are fine. However, the best storage for opened teas are really tightly sealing double-lidded tins.
Wesli

Postby mikeman715 » Feb 7th, '08, 08:36

I get alot of my tea at teavana,since there is one very near.Are those bags and good if i roll the air out?OR I could buy a couple of there tins or what about these... http://shopstashtea.com/400038.html
mikeman715

Postby Mary R » Feb 7th, '08, 08:43

Last I bought from Teavana, their bags were basically paper bags like what you'd use to buy bulk coffee with at any local grocery.

These are unacceptable for tea storage longer than a day. Invest in tins. Even the over-priced Teavana ones if you have to.

The clear lid on the tin you linked to will also be problematic unless it is treated with some sort of UV filter thing like Adagio's tins are. Light and air degrade tea.
Mary R

Postby mikeman715 » Feb 7th, '08, 09:01

^^Thanks for the help everybody!
mikeman715

Postby Ladytiger » Feb 7th, '08, 19:03

Upton Tea Imports has a nice selection of tins, the least expensive are $1 and I think the hold a good amont of tea.
Ladytiger

Postby Chip » Feb 7th, '08, 19:18

I refuse to answer under the grounds I will certainly show my anal retentive side.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Feb 7th, '08, 19:29

Ladytiger wrote:Upton Tea Imports has a nice selection of tins, the least expensive are $1 and I think the hold a good amont of tea.

Well, ok...since you mentioned Upton anyway. I use their sample tins that are around 60 cents when you buy a dozen. These are also available from tin distribution companies on line for a little less.

But the sample tin is perfect for everyday use tea due to its snug lid and small size. I use these for the tea I have open, then snugly roll up the bag with the "reserve," placing it in at least another bag...those foil ziplocks that some vendors use are ideal (Upton also sells them new).

The reserve will stay sealed up until I use all the tea in the sample tin. This way, the reserve is preserved quite well since it is not repeatedly opened every day. The reserve bag can also be placed into a tin or other airtight container.

My goal is to create multlble layers of protection for the reserve leaf while making the everyday use leaf readily available in a small amount, but still protected.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Instant Messenger

Permissions