How many cups of tea do you drink a day, and do you consider yourself overweight?

1 cup a day, I am not overweight
2%
2 or more cups a day, I am not overweight
54%
1 cup a day, I may be "just a little bit" overweight
2%
2 or more cups a day, I may be "just a little bit" overweight
41%

Total votes: 41

Feb 24th, '08, 00:11

by osadczuk » Feb 24th, '08, 00:11

Yet the caffeine FAQ says the opposite http://coffeefaq.com/site/node/6

I''m wondering if that was a comment to an earlier version of the FAQ.

Feb 24th, '08, 01:02

by Wesli » Feb 24th, '08, 01:02

Caffeine raises metabolism!

Feb 24th, '08, 03:11

by omegapd » Feb 24th, '08, 03:11

I don't know one way or the other, but caffeine does have a negative effect on some diets, particularly low carb diets like the Atkins. I've used this diet before with very good results and one of the first things in the book says to switch to decaf coffee/tea.

I can't remember where I put the book, or I'd tell you all why... :lol:

Feb 24th, '08, 10:05

by Mary R » Feb 24th, '08, 10:05

You're right...the Atkins diet proper *did* emphasize a negative metabolic effect of caffeine. However, Dr. Atkins based his advice on a study that showed this negative effect when dieters consumed diet soda.

Because there are no calories in diet soda, Atkins attributed this effect to caffeine.

But Dr. Atkins formulated his original diet several decades ago, now. Subsequent research now indicates that caffeine does stimulate the metabolism. It also indicates that diet sodas do have a depressive effect on metabolism, which is now being attributed to the citric acid in the sodas.

Feb 25th, '08, 00:05

by tissigirl » Feb 25th, '08, 00:05

Keep in mind also that diet sodas have a LOT of sodium in it. That can effect weight loss.

From what I understand in all my diet/exercise research over the years, small amounts of caffeine can actually boost your metabolism. Body For Life program users actually recommend a small amount of caffeine before your workouts. Large amounts, however, can have the reverse effect. It basically "borrows" your body's energy. So later when you run out of that "borrowed" energy you crash, which will slow down the metabolism. That's why those energy boosters on the market are not especially good to use.

Feb 25th, '08, 11:23

by TimeforTea » Feb 25th, '08, 11:23

I have to say I agree with Wes 100% regarding diet and exercise.
Last edited by TimeforTea on May 19th, '08, 00:42, edited 4 times in total.

Feb 25th, '08, 13:08

by insanitylater » Feb 25th, '08, 13:08

people claim mate helps with weight loss. i'm sure the caffeine has something to do with it but without a diet change/exercise you most likely will gain it all back

Feb 26th, '08, 01:37
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Feb 26th, '08, 01:37

omegapd wrote:I don't know one way or the other, but caffeine does have a negative effect on some diets, particularly low carb diets like the Atkins. I've used this diet before with very good results and one of the first things in the book says to switch to decaf coffee/tea.

I can't remember where I put the book, or I'd tell you all why... :lol:
Idiot disclaimer: I'm not a doctor and I may be totally braindead. Don't listen to me.

A doctor of mine claims that caffeine is a diuretic and thereby inhibiting absorption of water. Water is needed to remove fat. So, you may be inhibiting weightloss with tea.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes -- Douglas Adams.

Mar 17th, '08, 03:14

Tea and a Diet

by MINTGREEN » Mar 17th, '08, 03:14

I just started drinking oolong tea hoping it would act as a detoxifier. What else should I eat to loose weight? A big salad every day? A gallon of water every day? Fruit? How much protein? What type of vegetables? What type of fruit? and what type of protein? I'm stuck at 256 and need advice. I'm good looking, but way too big. I'm been exercising 2-3 times a week for 2 months, but no change in the scale.
Last edited by MINTGREEN on Mar 17th, '08, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 17th, '08, 03:20

by insanitylater » Mar 17th, '08, 03:20

this is a tea board not a nutrition one :)

but since i started drinking mate everyday i have lost 5 pounds

Mar 17th, '08, 08:56

by JM » Mar 17th, '08, 08:56

When I cut the sugar and milk out of my coffee I lost a few inches off my waist and I recently gave up coffee for tea, but I haven't noticed any further weight loss, but I don't really think I need it. I run 3 miles two or three times a week to keep the weight in check.

Mar 17th, '08, 20:28

by MINTGREEN » Mar 17th, '08, 20:28

Will tea help rid the body of impurities or do you drink it just for taste and maybe the ceremony of making it? I dont have any issues with caffeine in coffee or anything else with caffeine. I only feel the benefit that it clears my head. Will Tea clear my head too?

Mar 17th, '08, 21:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 17th, '08, 21:17

I just drink it for the taste and enjoyment. I don't know about it "clearing my head," but I'm sure if you want it to, the placebo effect will make it happen. What exactly do you mean by "impurities," by the way?
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Mar 17th, '08, 21:51

by Eastree » Mar 17th, '08, 21:51

I drink mainly for the flavor and the enjoyment of the experience.

However, tea holds some concrete benefit, as mentioned before, with things such as giving up sodas and drinking tea in stead. The mild caffeine will give a bit of an energy boost, which will help cope better than water would (at least it's sometimes difficult for me to pass by a can of sugary goodness). I'm now giving this yet another go, especially having finally found a usable bottle for transporting tea in my lunch box, to work.

Mintgreen:

As far as ridding impurities, I haven't heard anything (at least nothign backed up with medical science that I'm aware of) about tea's ability being greater than 'fluids' (water) in general. The caffeine, though slight, and the antioxidants and other contents of tea may prove beneficial for this purpose, however.

And yes. Tea will help you clear your head much like the other caffeinated products do for you. Tea has less caffeine than most other products on the market, so it may be a bit milder in effect. But caffeine is caffeine. edit: There are claims (I've seen frequently enough to consider true) that Buddhist monks used to drink tea to remain alert during long periods of meditation. Now *that's* a little anecdotal proof of clearing heads!

Mar 31st, '08, 01:56

by Eastree » Mar 31st, '08, 01:56

At least on caffeine:

(found in the April issue of Muscle and Fitness magazine ... don't ask xD I thought it would have more useful information)
Caffeine stimulates muscles to contract harder and spares the breakdown of glycogen, the muscle's backup reserves, by allowing fatty acids to more readily be burned as energy. New research also shows it can increase strength and endurance; in short, caffeine helps you train harder and longer. With regard to dehydration, if you were to drink 18 oz of coffee at one sitting, you'd have to start urinating more than that amount within an hour for it to be considered a diuretic agent. Any regular coffee drinker knows this isn't the norm ...
Erm ... my point:

I don't know whether the other beneficial properties of tea have been explored, but at least the caffeine, when combined with an active lifestyle (rather than allowing the caffeine itself to do the work), it seems there may be some benefit.

+ Post Reply