is wegman's loose tea good ?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Feb 23rd, '08, 20:19

is wegman's loose tea good ?

by insanitylater » Feb 23rd, '08, 20:19

i ended up getting a little of these two

yerba mate
lavender sencha green tea

they don't have a distributor listed anywhere just the country the tea came from

Feb 23rd, '08, 20:54

by Pentox » Feb 23rd, '08, 20:54

I haven't been able to verify this, but I believe that their vendor is Ito-en. My reasoning for this is two fold, the first is a simple comparison of the tea offerings by Wegmans and Ito-en. The offerings are both very similar in offerings, with many teas bearing the same names that I have not seen elsewhere. Things like the lavender sencha that you mentioned seem rather unique to those two, along with the yuzu sencha, and shisho sencha. My other reason for believing this is the amai cookie store/website (www.amainyc.com). Wegmans serves their cookies in the Pittsford store, I don't know about the other stores as the Pittsford store was only recently opening up when I had visited it. If you look at the tea menu offered by Amai though, a lot of their teas are marked as being sourced by Ito-en. This does include the aforementioned Yuzu Sencha and Shiso Sencha. While it is very likely that they could have multiple vendors like amai does, it is very likely that Ito-en is one of the suppliers for Wegmans for the above reasons. Also with Itoen's corporate office in Brooklyn NY it lends further probability that they are at least one of the main suppliers for Wegmans.

To answer your actual question though:
Personally I think Wegman's tea is rather good, it's not the best around, but it is not bad. In my opinion it ranks somewhere above Teavana and above most prepackaged teas, but below other specialty stores like Lupicia and Den's.

Feb 23rd, '08, 21:24

by insanitylater » Feb 23rd, '08, 21:24

thanks for the reply. it would make sense since they do sell a lot of Ito-en products

the tea probably won't disappoint me because up till now i have been drinking the rishi prepackaged loose teas. i really need to get around to ordering from adagio and the other sites i have learned about

Feb 23rd, '08, 22:07

by Pentox » Feb 23rd, '08, 22:07

insanitylater wrote:thanks for the reply. it would make sense since they do sell a lot of Ito-en products

the tea probably won't disappoint me because up till now i have been drinking the rishi prepackaged loose teas. i really need to get around to ordering from adagio and the other sites i have learned about
I would agree, Ito-en / wegmans tea is at the borderline of what I like. They thankfully have good packaging/storing habits. Out of curiosity which wegmans did you go to to get loose leaf from?

Feb 23rd, '08, 22:12

by insanitylater » Feb 23rd, '08, 22:12

15 Woodbridge Center Drive
Woodbridge, NJ 07095

you know what surprises me is that the whole foods near me doesn't carry any loose tea besides the rishi tins. they have plenty of coffee but nothing for the tea fan

Feb 28th, '08, 02:29

by erikt » Feb 28th, '08, 02:29

Hello fellow jersian! only thing i've noticed is that some tea is mis handled by the buyers. I wanna smack people when i see them CHOPPING up the tea... this creates LOTS OF DUST.... i really feel like my wegmans teaspot is ruined by this one lady... she doesn't realize what she's doing when she's packaging her tea... i see her often, guess she's on the same schedule as me grrr... lol.
But yes it's GREAT for sampling. I just tried the Ginger Pu-erh..... it's kinda fishy!!!!! I thought this tea was supposed to be decent for cheap pu-erh.

Feb 28th, '08, 09:27

by hop_goblin » Feb 28th, '08, 09:27

Is wegmens a regional store or dist.?

Feb 28th, '08, 10:22

by xine » Feb 28th, '08, 10:22

Wegman's is I believe regional- MidAtlantic- mostly upstate New York, NJ, Pennsy, Virginia, and Maryland. I go to the Woodbridge one too (on the way home from work!) or the one near to me in Princeton. Adagio also has their products in Wegmans.

Feb 29th, '08, 00:38

by hop_goblin » Feb 29th, '08, 00:38

xine wrote:Wegman's is I believe regional- MidAtlantic- mostly upstate New York, NJ, Pennsy, Virginia, and Maryland. I go to the Woodbridge one too (on the way home from work!) or the one near to me in Princeton. Adagio also has their products in Wegmans.
Cool thanks Xine.. never heared of that particular brand before.

Feb 29th, '08, 03:29

by Pentox » Feb 29th, '08, 03:29

xine wrote:Wegman's is I believe regional- MidAtlantic- mostly upstate New York, NJ, Pennsy, Virginia, and Maryland. I go to the Woodbridge one too (on the way home from work!) or the one near to me in Princeton. Adagio also has their products in Wegmans.
Yup you got that right Xine. They're in I believe 7 eastern seaboard states down to Virginia. They're based out of Rochester NY.

Mar 5th, '08, 01:22

by horsencl » Mar 5th, '08, 01:22

I'm from New Jersey too! All of the Whole Foods I have been to only carry those teeny weeny tins of Rishi. I've recently discovered the joy of Wegman's as well. I haven't tried their loose teas yet but I'm sure I will eventually. Any other good sources for loose tea? Janam is Jersey City closed and they were my only tea place :(

Mar 5th, '08, 13:39

by insanitylater » Mar 5th, '08, 13:39

i really like the lavender sencha from wegmans

there are two teavana's located in new jersey. one in bridgewater and the other in paramus
www.teavana.com

i remember seeing a tea shop in westfield but i didn't go in

Mar 9th, '08, 12:20

by insanitylater » Mar 9th, '08, 12:20

shame that janam closed i wanted to go there soon. they added me on myspace a while back

not sure if this is the tea place i saw but it's the only one that comes up in a westfield tea search

La Tea Da Tea House
223 Elmer St
Westfield, NJ
(908) 233-1555

Mar 21st, '08, 22:22

by insanitylater » Mar 21st, '08, 22:22

as an update i learned rishi is another one of their vendors. i bought some of their blueberry rooibos today and it seems to be the same as
http://www.rishi-tea.com/store/product. ... =24&page=1

Mar 22nd, '08, 12:29

by Pentox » Mar 22nd, '08, 12:29

insanitylater wrote:as an update i learned rishi is another one of their vendors. i bought some of their blueberry rooibos today and it seems to be the same as
http://www.rishi-tea.com/store/product. ... =24&page=1
Ah yeah, I had that too. I guess I just didn't look to see if it's on the ito-en list. I wonder what other vendors they might use.

+ Post Reply