Jun 27th, '08, 15:17
Scrolling: scrolling

Firefox extension to fix and open text links

by ABx » Jun 27th, '08, 15:17

Anyone that hangs out in the chat much knows that the chat ends up putting a space in long URLs, which breaks the link. To work around this we've mostly been using TinyURL (or similar) to make the URL shorter, but sometimes we get lazy or someone new posts a URL not knowing what the chat will do.

So today I was searching for a particular extension that allows you to select plain text URLs and open them, and I found THIS. What makes this one different is that it will automatically remove spaces! It also fixes some typos, like when someone accidentally makes a typo in "http://", which seems to happen fairly regularly (more on other forums/sites), or if you miss a letter or two when highlighting the URL.

It's also apparently made to work better on non-English sites, like some Japanese sites that use multi-byte characters, and lets you open a text link by double-clicking it which I haven't seen in similar extensions before.

Here is the author's own homepage, which gives some additional details on what all it does.

I just thought I'd pass it on for the Firefox users out there. Even beyond TeaChat I find this functionality to be immensely useful.

If you get it and want to test it, you can use this:
tps:/addons.mozilla.org/en-US/ firefox/ad don/1939

Jul 26th, '08, 13:48

by heavydoom » Jul 26th, '08, 13:48

thanks for this. i have no idea if this will be helpful to me but hey, it's free, i love firefox and this may come in handy whenever....

+ Post Reply