Steeping tea

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jul 10th, '08, 10:03

Steeping tea

by elchai » Jul 10th, '08, 10:03

How many times do you use your tea leaves before throwing them out?

How long should you let them sit before throwing them out in between steepings?

Jul 10th, '08, 10:20

by Riene » Jul 10th, '08, 10:20

What kind of tea are you using, elchai? Green, oolong, or black?
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jul 10th, '08, 10:43

by elchai » Jul 10th, '08, 10:43

Well, I guess I need to know for all three... :)

Jul 10th, '08, 12:31
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 10th, '08, 12:31

This is all pretty much a matter of personal preference.

Typically one would brew the leaves till they no longer yield a decent, or enjoyable cup. And that has too many variables for someone to answer you specifically. It depends on the tea and the amount you brew, and the temp.

You need to try it with each of your teas and see.

As for sitting between steeps again it's what you feel comfortable with. I used to have a 4 hour rule, which I recently threw out the window. With good leaves of an excellent or expensive tea, no one is going to throw away leaves due to a time limit. I have not re-brewed leaves left in a pot overnight, but some here do. And I might too, given the right circumstances.

Jul 10th, '08, 12:59

by elchai » Jul 10th, '08, 12:59

Ok, well, I have only been steeping the leaves 2 times for everything. I guess I'll have to try longer and see how they do.

I have left my leaves in the pot overnight and used them again, but I just wasn't sure if that was a good idea. It seems to be fine. I just wasn't sure how long it would take for mold to set in, since they stay wet.

Jul 10th, '08, 16:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 10th, '08, 16:43

elchai wrote: I have left my leaves in the pot overnight and used them again, but I just wasn't sure if that was a good idea. It seems to be fine. I just wasn't sure how long it would take for mold to set in, since they stay wet.
I stick the pot in the refrigerator if I am going overnight.

Jul 10th, '08, 22:02

by orguz » Jul 10th, '08, 22:02

Victoria wrote:This is all pretty much a matter of personal preference.
Thanks Victoria for pointing out the thread. had i seen it before i wouldn't have started new topic :oops:

I agree the better the tea in my case OOLONGS!!! the more i steep the leafs.

Jul 10th, '08, 22:02

by elchai » Jul 10th, '08, 22:02

Salsero wrote:
elchai wrote: I have left my leaves in the pot overnight and used them again, but I just wasn't sure if that was a good idea. It seems to be fine. I just wasn't sure how long it would take for mold to set in, since they stay wet.
I stick the pot in the refrigerator if I am going overnight.
Ok, I may have to try that then. Thanks!

Jul 11th, '08, 11:33

by keelyn » Jul 11th, '08, 11:33

If I'm brewing western style, I steep 3 times over about a 24 hour period. I'll decant and drink the first brew immediately and cover the leaves with hot water again. I'll probably drink the second brew 3-8 hours later. The 3rd brew I'll have sit overnight, sans refrigeration, and probably drink sometime after my first fresh cup of the day. I never let the leaves dry out before adding water again.

Leaving tea sit over 36 hours leads to off tastes develop and I toss it. If I have wet leaves sitting around they go moldy after 3 days. For them to stay wet and go moldy the container must be covered, like in a gaiwan. Otherwise they just dry out. I've never had liquid get moldy, just the leaves, though I have observed a change something like fermentation in the liquid after several days.

The way your tea behaves will also depend on the conditions of your household, such as temperature, sunlight, and humidity. So experiment and get to know your tea.

+ Post Reply