Bicycling

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Aug 8th, '08, 22:42

Bicycling

by Space Samurai » Aug 8th, '08, 22:42

About two months ago I finally aired up the tires* on the bicycle that my former brother-in-law gave me, and it has changed my life.

I've lost weight, save money on gas, and generally feel good about myself. I use my bike to get to work, run errands if they're close, and I try to head out to the local trails at least twice a week. It's great knowing that I am doing something for my health, my wallet, and the environment. Plus its just so damn relaxing at times, and I've had a chance to see things I never knew were in the city.

So I'm curious who else on the forum shares my hobby. I know that there are a few of us at least. :D

*by air up, I mean take it to the bike shop to fix it, and they told me all I needed was some air.[/i] :oops:

Aug 9th, '08, 00:24
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Aug 9th, '08, 00:24

That's a pretty respectable bike, there.

I ride a Trek 7300 Multitrack, which I've had since August of '05, and on which I rode during Hurricane Katrina. It's an awesome bike.

Aug 9th, '08, 00:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 9th, '08, 00:28

1999, I found 2 new obsessions at the same time. Tea and biking!

Lance had just won his first Tour de France. I went shopping a few weeks later figuring I would buy a "hybrid." The guy I bought it from, Brad from a local shop called Technocycle asked me a few questions and said, dude, you are a roadie, you will not be happy with a hybrid. I bought a Bianchi Veloce road bike. The guy was right on target. I have the bike still and rode it many thousands of miles.

Talk about stress reliever. I could have the worst day of my life, hop on my bike, hit the pedals and feel the acceleration, the excitement, the adrenaline, endorphans, etc within minutes feel like a new man.

In 2005 I got a Giant TCR carbon fiber road bike from Brad. WOW. I loved it so much, I had him build me a top of the line version from the frame up.

Along the way, I raced, Time Trialed and love to find long mountains roads to climb.

I love riding as much as tea.

Aug 9th, '08, 02:52

by greenisgood » Aug 9th, '08, 02:52

I too enjoy the feeling of getting on my bike as a relaxing but exertive means of transport as well as the best way to clear the mind (esp. when followed by a cold shower and a cup of sencha). Though the thought of commuting by bike sometimes seems less than enjoyable, I find that it is always well worth it in the end.

I ride a $400 mountain bike which is almost entirely impractical for 95% of what I use it for which is mainly urban commuting and day road trips aside from the ever so occasional single-track adventure. I even took it for a hundred mile ride one day which got me some looks by my skinny-tired compatriots. Somehow though I can't see myself on a road bike or a fix-y. But I suppose if I ever tried one I would laugh at my old ways.

I used to bike to work in the winter (on my other "bad weather" mountain bike) with a thermos of dragonwell on my back.

Cars are coffins.

Aug 9th, '08, 14:13

by olivierco » Aug 9th, '08, 14:13

Bicycling is great especially to relax and to stay fit.

I used to ride about 4000 to 5000 km a year but reduced my mileage when I added running to my sport schedule. A typical month for me is 150 km bike, 60 km running and 30 min a day of stationary bike.

Aug 9th, '08, 15:02

by Salsero » Aug 9th, '08, 15:02

I've been riding my generic Schwinn pretty much every day for half an hour for nearly 20 years, mostly on road but also a bit in the woods and fields.

Aug 9th, '08, 17:19

by RussianSoul » Aug 9th, '08, 17:19

I have an old Hardrock mountain bike that is too heavy for me. But I ride in spurts, sometimes every day for a couple of weeks, sometimes once a week. And then Chicago winter hits... That's why I haven't replaced it yet. One of these days, when I am done buying teaware (like that is gonna happen anytime soon :roll: ), I'll have a custom hybrid put together. I ride mostly bike trails, but don't think a racer is my thing.

Aug 9th, '08, 18:10

by omegapd » Aug 9th, '08, 18:10

RussianSoul wrote: One of these days, when I am done buying teaware (like that is gonna happen anytime soon
If I had the room, I'd quit collecting tea and collect bikes. I'm the cruiser man here. If I wanted to ride in the woods, I'd take the 4 wheeler. :lol:

Glad to see a few others share the hobby.

Aug 9th, '08, 18:19

by henley » Aug 9th, '08, 18:19

omegapd wrote: If I wanted to ride in the woods, I'd take the 4 wheeler. :lol:
I'm w/you! :wink: My FIL has 40+ acres that are perfect for 4-wheeling.

Aug 9th, '08, 18:22

by chamekke » Aug 9th, '08, 18:22

I have a basic sort of women's bike; I think it cost me all of $350 when I bought it a few years ago. It's not at all fancy, and the frame is a little heavy, which hopefully makes it a bit less tempting to the many bike thieves in my burg...

My home is within walking distance of the office and of the city centre, so I don't need to take my bicycle that often (or any other form of transit other than mare's shank), but hubby and I do enjoy bicycling for fun. It's a good way to sightsee, to go shopping, to peruse yard sales, or just to exercise... and of course it's exhilarating, too!

P.S. The editor in me desperately wants to change the word "less" to "fewer" :?

Aug 9th, '08, 18:54

by hop_goblin » Aug 9th, '08, 18:54

The only bikes i own are a couple of 50s' vintage bikes.. They are cool! I haven't done much research on them but they are all original even down to the original white wall tires. I guess they were made during the height of the sci-fi craze of the 50's since they have headlamps! If I get time I will take a couple of pics if anyone is interested.

Aug 9th, '08, 22:14

by Chip » Aug 9th, '08, 22:14

...fer sure Hop!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 9th, '08, 22:25

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 9th, '08, 22:25

hop_goblin wrote:The only bikes i own are a couple of 50s' vintage bikes.
I wonder if any of them are a Galaxy Flyer :D

Aug 9th, '08, 23:24

by fencerdenoctum » Aug 9th, '08, 23:24

I have a junky little mountain bike from when I was younger, but I'm thinking of getting a road bike. All my friends that have gotten into it love it, and I'd like to give it a shot. Now to just quite buying tea long enough to buy it....

The Tea Sipping Swordsman,

Fencerdenoctum

Aug 10th, '08, 04:25

by olivierco » Aug 10th, '08, 04:25

hop_goblin wrote:If I get time I will take a couple of pics if anyone is interested.
Of course!

+ Post Reply