Do the Olympics mean more to you?

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Aug 13th, '08, 23:11

Do the Olympics mean more to you?

by jashnew » Aug 13th, '08, 23:11

Do the Olympics mean more to you because it's in China and China was the first to discover tea? Through my love of tea and especially Chinese tea my new hobby that I picked up was the study of Chinese history. If you're watching the Olympics NBC is also running stories on the Chinese culture. They are showing all the tea houses as well. It's pretty cool recognizing all the teaware that NBC is unknowingly showing in the background.
There are two things I love, tea and rooibos http://www.teacontent.com/

Aug 13th, '08, 23:18

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 13th, '08, 23:18

I wouldnt say that it means any more to me, but it deff makes it all that more interesting that it is in China. I find myself watching the events and thinking what possible part tea has played on the people/athletes. Perhaps Michael Phelps is downing some high quality chinese tea before his competitions :wink:

Aug 13th, '08, 23:20

by Space Samurai » Aug 13th, '08, 23:20

no comment.

Aug 13th, '08, 23:40

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 13th, '08, 23:40

Space Samurai wrote:no comment.
Making no comment, is still making a comment space :)

In fact, no comment usually speaks more than one haha

Aug 13th, '08, 23:43

by Space Samurai » Aug 13th, '08, 23:43

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:Making no comment, is still making a comment space :)

In fact, no comment usually speaks more than one haha
But it does so politely. 8)

Aug 14th, '08, 00:24

by Wesli » Aug 14th, '08, 00:24

:?

Aug 14th, '08, 00:29

by chamekke » Aug 14th, '08, 00:29

No.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 14th, '08, 00:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 14th, '08, 00:42

Yes.
Last edited by Chip on Aug 14th, '08, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 14th, '08, 02:07

by chamekke » Aug 14th, '08, 02:07

Chip, since you posted on the heels of my answer (which was intended to be tactfully short), I think I must respond.

No, the Olympics do not mean more to me because it's in China and China was the first to discover tea.

I love Chinese classical music and have been interested in Chinese arts, culture, and history for as long as I can remember. My opposition to China's oppressive state apparatus is just that: opposition to the way it hurts its people, especially the poorest and most powerless. This does not imply an aversion to Chinese people or its culture, quite the reverse. That is why I find the circumstances surrounding these Olympics particularly odious. I have seen too much footage of too many elderly Chinese, weeping as they tell how they were forced from their humble Beijing homes, often with little or no reimbursement, to make way for the grand Olympic facilities. Unknown thousands, if not tens of thousands, cast into homelessness in their old age. This is not the traditional culture of China, it is an abomination.

And that is a fraction of what I might say. So I hope you are not implying that people who oppose the Olympics are necessarily anti-Chinese. Some of us oppose the glossy spectacle because it seems to make some people (and I don't mean Chip or anyone else on this forum - I am speaking more generally) forget how odious China's government actually is, and the harm it's doing its own people. Setting aside the question of the welfare of the people of Tibet, Darfur, Burma...

If you think this is too political, please feel free to delete it. I am sure it is probably not welcome.

Aug 14th, '08, 02:32

by Space Samurai » Aug 14th, '08, 02:32

I'm with Chamekke. This looks and feels like a PR piece for the PROC. I don't think that this is a case where one can simply differentiate between sports and politics.

A few months back I was strongly against the Beijng Olympics, but I tried to tone it down and be open minded--the hipocricy of being an American pointing fingers at another nation's foreign and domestic policy was getting to me. But with all the news articles I've read about the Beijing Olympics, I can't feel right about this.

Aug 14th, '08, 04:17

Re: Do the Olympics mean more to you?

by olivierco » Aug 14th, '08, 04:17

jashnew wrote:Do the Olympics mean more to you because it's in China and China was the first to discover tea?
No

Aug 14th, '08, 04:31

by Chip » Aug 14th, '08, 04:31

chamekke wrote:So I hope you are not implying that people who oppose the Olympics are necessarily anti-Chinese.
No.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 14th, '08, 07:51

by Proinsias » Aug 14th, '08, 07:51

Yes the Olympics does mean more to me since it is China, for many of the reasons chameke said it meant no more to her.

If it was in Zimbabwe it would mean more to me, if it was in France or Australia or Iceland or one of many many countries with more laid back governments it wouldn't mean as much to me.

The world spotlight is on China which means I'm more likely to read the paper or watch the telly concerning the Olympics than I have been in previous years.

It's hard to say if the Olympics in Beijing is a good or a bad move, the effects of the world spotlight may have long lasting effects.

Aug 14th, '08, 11:23

by auggy » Aug 14th, '08, 11:23

With chamekke and space on this one. Nope.

Aug 14th, '08, 18:42

by chamekke » Aug 14th, '08, 18:42

I just wanted to add that I do regret the abrasive tone of my posting above. My remarks were NOT meant as a personal comment on anyone, but it sure may have sounded like it. For this, I apologize unreservedly.

Whatever political- or tea-related differences we may have, I regard everyone here as a friend.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

+ Post Reply