Nov 20th, '05, 08:31

Teas during pregnancy?

by Lou » Nov 20th, '05, 08:31

Can anyone tell me if it's safe to drink teas during pregnancy, and if there are any I should avoid? Thanks :D

Come have a look at the pregnancy/baby forum: http://www.pregnancyandbaby.notlong.com

Pop in and say hi :D

Nov 20th, '05, 15:07

by Marlene » Nov 20th, '05, 15:07

I drank tea throughout my pregnancy. Herbal and otherwise with no ill effects. If anything, it quelled my nausia very nicely. If it realy concerns you though, speak to your doctor abougt it.
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Nov 20th, '05, 21:02

by klemptor » Nov 20th, '05, 21:02

Marlene, I had no idea you had a kid!

Isn't the caffeine supposed to be bad, though?
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Nov 20th, '05, 21:42

by Marlene » Nov 20th, '05, 21:42

A lot of things are supposed to be bad for you, but while one study shows bad things, another shows no effect at all. Millions of chinese and japanese women drank (and still do drink) tea while pregnant, and no link has ever surfaced in writings. So I figure the danger is minimal to non existant. Like I said, if you're worried, doctors are great sorces of information.
As for my son, I got myself in a bad situation. I placed him for adoption. I could barely afford to take care of my self, I certainly couldn't afford to raise a kid, and I wasn't about to get on welfare if I could avoid it. There are so many wonderful people who can't have children, and desperately want one. I figured it would be best for all involved to place him. He's a wonderful boy. I get pictures and letters all the time. I know his mom and dad love him very very much, and can give him more than I ever could. :)
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Nov 21st, '05, 08:58

by klemptor » Nov 21st, '05, 08:58

I'm glad he's with a family that loves him and can provide for his needs. And I'm glad that you get pictures and updates, too!
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Nov 21st, '05, 14:37

by PeteVu » Nov 21st, '05, 14:37

My mother drank tea while she was pregnant with me. I havent sprouted any extra limbs... yet.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Nov 22nd, '05, 11:16

by Lou » Nov 22nd, '05, 11:16

PeteVu wrote:My mother drank tea while she was pregnant with me. I havent sprouted any extra limbs... yet.
:lol:

Dec 6th, '05, 19:30

by JamesBeach » Dec 6th, '05, 19:30

I don't believe caffeine is seen as a "nutrient" by a body, and is simply absorbed into the blood causing stimulative effects. Blood is not supposed to be shared with the little one in the oven, the placenta acting as a barrier that allows only nutrients to get by. I don't know for sure if caffeine can pass this barrier, but I could say with a good deal of sureness that if any does at all, the amount that does is trace. So I wouldn't worry.

What's safe while pregnant has always been an interesting deal. For example, I had a smoking friend who became pregnant. Of course, smoking is not advised during pregnancy. She greatly desired to quit cold turkey for the sake of the baby, but this would cause the very stressful "nic fits" that tobacco addictions are notorious for. After weighing out the benefits and hits of stress or tobacco, her doctor advised her to have a smoke occasionally, since apparently the stress from withdrawals would have been ultimately worse for the baby.

That was pretty off-topic, though. :-p Anyway, tea should be fine.

Dec 15th, '05, 20:36

by Firemanshunny » Dec 15th, '05, 20:36

Are there certain teas that people should avoid while pregnant? I read that some herbs could be bad for you. I was thinking of getting some Rooibo due to the fact that it is decaf. But I have never tried it before.

Dec 16th, '05, 12:30

by Marlene » Dec 16th, '05, 12:30

One word: Doctor.
Seriously folks, the best advice will come from a doctor!
-Billy Connolly

Dec 18th, '05, 22:03

by Alexis » Dec 18th, '05, 22:03

I'm not sure which to avoid, but raspberry leaf is very good for preparing the uterus for labor. Congratulations!
"The Church says that the Earth is flat, but I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow on the moon and I have more faith in the Shadow than in the Church."
-Ferdinand Magellan

Dec 23rd, '05, 09:25

by Lou » Dec 23rd, '05, 09:25

Alexis wrote:I'm not sure which to avoid, but raspberry leaf is very good for preparing the uterus for labor. Congratulations!
Mmmm, thanks - may get some of that as I approach my due date :D

+ Post Reply