PETS!!!!

Forum problem solving, rules, contact information

Nov 18th, '08, 17:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Nov 18th, '08, 17:48

Pentox wrote:
Victoria wrote:Image
Caption: I can see the fur between my eyes!
Hahaha!! Ummm yeah!! I paid full price for this purebred Tonkinese,
with unusual markings for a Tonk. I said - "I think he's cross-eyed???"
The breeder said - "Maybe a little when he looks really hard at something".

As it happens, he's always looking hard at something!!!

Nov 18th, '08, 18:19

by chad » Nov 18th, '08, 18:19

Currently have three cats - hurricane rescue kittens (from our back yard) from the 2004 season. Momma was obviously a slut: Charlie is American short-hair white and black like a holstein cow, Ivan(a) ((should be Jeanne but Ivan acutally fits her better)) is a calico, and Francis is Maine Coon cat...

In 2004 we had 5 cats, Angel (misnamed) a Siamese, and the only kitten we kept from any of her litters - Licorice. Daddy was an American long-hair. I had to put Angel down about 2 years ago and Licorice was put down a couple of weekends ago.

Over the years we've always had cats and with the kids (now almost all grown and gone) we had dogs, hamsters, frogs, fish, salamanders, birds, etc. etc. etc.

Nov 18th, '08, 19:31

by Geekgirl » Nov 18th, '08, 19:31

Haha! Do I even need to participate here? What the heck, any opportunity to share photos. LOL! If you've been here longer than a couple months, I think you've met all my critters.

From oldest to youngest:

Shaq, alias Shakky-pants. He just turned 12. He is the hardest to photograph nicely, and also the nicest of all the pets. He likes to be fed at 5:00am, and if he is not fed promptly, will cruise the house eating loose bits of fuzz until he throws up. He also has developed a new favorite game which involves teasing the other cat until a fight breaks out. Likes whipping cream and blackberry yogurt.

Bubba, alias Matchacat, or Beelzebubba . He is at least 10 years old, but probably older. We got him at the shelter about 8 years ago, right after we lost my precious Abbycat. Bubba loves people food and will beg for it relentlessly. The second you look like you might hand him a bite, he will slap your hand as hard as he can, in the hopes that you might drop the entire piece of whatever you are giving him. Especially fond of the crumbs left behind from pizza.

Sunny, alias Bucketdog (no idea why) 7-1/2. He's a sweet cocker spaniel who loves the kiddos. Given the choice between loving on a baby and eating bacon, I think his brain would smoke before he could decide. Sunny never has accidents in the house, rarely barks without reason, and waits patiently for his dinner. In other words, he's a very good dog. Except for a few weeks ago, when he peed on Murphy. Will do anything for cheese.

Murphy, 2 years old. Alias Spawn of Satan, Murphball, murphalupagus, moofy and lil' f***er. Murphy ate our kitchen floor, ate our cupboards, tore the eyes out of all of Sunny's stuffed animals, tore the stuffing out of every bed we have given them, chewed up a plastic crate, and thinks that if he needs to potty, it's perfectly okay to do it on bath towels, as long as the he pulls it down on the floor first. Murphy likes tea, and will use whatever he can as a step stool to get up to the teacup and take a taste. Also likes beer and sake.

Matcha the Budgie aka Bird. The latest edition to our menagerie. Discovered in the yard on one of the hottest days this summer, nobody claimed him, so he's still here. As far as I know, he does not like tea, but he adores nectarines.

One male human, 38 years old. Most often referred to as "honey." Likes World of Warcraft, and can occasionally be heard to utter sayings such as "JFC! The server went down right before I was going to hit level 72!" Likes tea. Will do anything for Pizza Schmizza. Has forbidden me to post his picture on the internets, but looks a little bit like this online:

Last edited by Geekgirl on Nov 18th, '08, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 18th, '08, 19:57

by Proinsias » Nov 18th, '08, 19:57

Your male human is the oldest and still ends up at the bottom of the pile :(

Nov 18th, '08, 20:04

by Geekgirl » Nov 18th, '08, 20:04

Proinsias wrote:Your male human is the oldest and still ends up at the bottom of the pile :(
Yeah, maybe when he comes out of the WoWcave, he can be first. :lol:

Nov 18th, '08, 20:39

by Proinsias » Nov 18th, '08, 20:39

Good luck!

Nov 18th, '08, 21:01

by Geekgirl » Nov 18th, '08, 21:01

Proinsias wrote:Good luck!
I'm not holding my breath. :roll: :lol:

Nov 18th, '08, 22:27

by caligatia » Nov 18th, '08, 22:27

As I've mentioned, I have two cats. Let me find some good pictures... Aha. Click for larger.

This is Juhani.

My husband found her as a stray about two years before I met him, which means she's probably seven or eight. She was named after a character in the video game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Juhani's insatiably curious and very friendly to strangers. She's the one who enjoys helping me make tea in the kitchen. She doesn't like laps, but sometimes she will deign to snuggle with me in bed.

And this is my lapkitty, Dahlia:

Dahlia was a stray I fed when my guy and I were staying at his parents' place. She loves laying on me and the husband, and would happily sit on me 24/7 if she could get away with it. She's skittish around strangers, but warms up once she sees Juhani make friends with the new person. Dahlia's favorite thing in the whole world is food, and she is very very VERY loud when she wants it.

You'll notice that they're both sitting on my laptop. I've learned to keep the lid closed...

Nov 18th, '08, 22:56

by geeber1 » Nov 18th, '08, 22:56

This is Luke, our 10-year party dog:
ImageImage
He's a black lab/golden retriever mix and loves to wear strange headgear.

Snuffy is a 6-month old tortoiseshell Holland Lop bunny:
He likes to frolic in the grass and drink tea. (See Teaware photo poll #1)

Snowbell is a 7-month old "broken squirrel" Holland Lop:
Her favorite pastime is making her humans chase her around in circles when it's time to go back into her hutch. She's a little bit psycho but we love her anyway.

Nov 19th, '08, 08:23

by Vulture » Nov 19th, '08, 08:23

Vulture wrote:Yah reading up the lizard might not be the best. I thought it be interesting but seems that they do about 80-90% of nothing every day. Next concideration is a ferrit but I don't know if they will make me allergic like cats and dogs
Well reading up on Ferrets, they are interesting and I believe I could take care of one. My only problem is the fact that they are illegal in California. I would still go get one but I don't know if the managers for my apartment complex would accept it as a pet or not...

I am too alergic to cats to keep one in a small apartment so its either a ferret or nothing now. My lonely longings for a pet might fail.

Nov 19th, '08, 09:26

by geeber1 » Nov 19th, '08, 09:26

Vulture wrote:Well reading up on Ferrets, they are interesting and I believe I could take care of one. My only problem is the fact that they are illegal in California. I would still go get one but I don't know if the managers for my apartment complex would accept it as a pet or not...
My daughter's friend got a ferret and the next day her mother took it back to the pet store because it smelled her house up so badly she couldn't stand it.

Nov 19th, '08, 09:51

by auggy » Nov 19th, '08, 09:51

geeber1 wrote:
Vulture wrote:Well reading up on Ferrets, they are interesting and I believe I could take care of one. My only problem is the fact that they are illegal in California. I would still go get one but I don't know if the managers for my apartment complex would accept it as a pet or not...
My daughter's friend got a ferret and the next day her mother took it back to the pet store because it smelled her house up so badly she couldn't stand it.
My friend's brother had one. It had the musk glands removed to decrease the stench, but it still smelled pretty funky. Sweet thing, though.

You could always get one of the bald cat (or dog) breeds. They have low/no dander and are supposed to be good for those with allergies. Also supposed to be good for those with arthritis (they are really warm so holding them is supposed to be like holding a heating pad).
Pentox wrote:
auggy wrote: Happy
She's my little psycho. She is another former stray that is probably about 7 years old. She has feline hyperesthesia, an over sensitivity of her skin, that lead her to chew her tail to the bone. Her tail is now docked and, while still crazy, she no longer self-mutilates.
Hahahaha I love how the psycho kitty is named Happy.
Yep, she might be crazy (okay, she IS crazy) but she loves her people and when we first discovered her would dance with happiness anytime I'd go outside to see her. She wouldn't let me get close to her for about a week or so but she'd stand a few feet away, purring and kneading her paws. So we called her Happy-cat because she was such a happy cat. :)

Nov 19th, '08, 11:09

by Vulture » Nov 19th, '08, 11:09

auggy wrote: My friend's brother had one. It had the musk glands removed to decrease the stench, but it still smelled pretty funky. Sweet thing, though.

You could always get one of the bald cat (or dog) breeds. They have low/no dander and are supposed to be good for those with allergies. Also supposed to be good for those with arthritis (they are really warm so holding them is supposed to be like holding a heating pad)
I read about the smell and demusking. The 2 things is that I am keeping it in my room and only letting it out into my bedroom when I do let it out. So my roommate shouldn't complain about the smell any more than usual. The second thing is that I can't smell very well. Unless its a really strong scent, it won't overwhelm me.

Also regarding bald pets. I wanted something I can pet, the iguana has interesting texture and cats have nice soft fur. I don't want to be petting skin on my animal. I reserve that for girl friends... :twisted:

All in all, I think I have to register any pets with the appartment management so I couldn't have one unless I bought my own condo (which isn't any time soon).

Nov 19th, '08, 12:00

by chamekke » Nov 19th, '08, 12:00

Sadly, although I love animals (especially dogs), we are not permitted to have pets in our apartment building. Another reason to become a home owner...

We have to make do with Nintendogs. Here are two of our virtual pups:

We also have a Jack Russell called Pixel (not seen in photos) who responds by barking when I say "Good boy!", which is odd because that shouldn't be possible in Nintendogs.

Nov 19th, '08, 13:55

by Wesli » Nov 19th, '08, 13:55

Shiloh when we first got him, at 6 weeks...

Here he was yesterday, 4 months...

He's a shiloh shepherd (like a german shepherd/malamute hybrid) mix with golden retriever.

We got Shiloh after the wonderful Waldo passed away at 8 years...

We loved him.

Again, yesterday, my 14/15/however many years old cat decided it was necessary to show that she still had the "musskles."

And here's Max. The always-on-edge, always expecting someone to chase him (nobody ever really has), little black kitty, in one of his photo shoots that made him look, amazingly, sane...

+ Post Reply