all in this tea

For general/other topics related to tea.

Apr 15th, '09, 22:54
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Apr 15th, '09, 22:54

iannon wrote:The earthworm farming is actually pretty interesting. I have actually done it at my house in barrels. The castings from the worms are wonderful natural fertilizer for your garden.
Is it easy to deal with and can the worm live long? Do you keep the container inside or outside the house? I am very interested in raising worms too and collected some materials on how to do it. My husband once caught some worms from the back yard and we kept them in a big container for a while. But later we learned that they are not that reproductive and we have yet to buy some commercial earthworms that are more reproductive.
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Apr 15th, '09, 23:44

by PolyhymnianMuse » Apr 15th, '09, 23:44

gingko wrote:
iannon wrote:The earthworm farming is actually pretty interesting. I have actually done it at my house in barrels. The castings from the worms are wonderful natural fertilizer for your garden.
Is it easy to deal with and can the worm live long? Do you keep the container inside or outside the house? I am very interested in raising worms too and collected some materials on how to do it. My husband once caught some worms from the back yard and we kept them in a big container for a while. But later we learned that they are not that reproductive and we have yet to buy some commercial earthworms that are more reproductive.
Thats the big thing when it comes to vermiculture (worm composting), having a decent population of worms to start. It's probably better to find a good place to buy some worms to start, which there are quite a few online and you might be lucky to have somewhere close to you.

Basically from there there isn't much work to be done, the worms will do most of the work themselves as long as you continue to give them organic material to feed on and reproduce. Containers are fine outside but you have to be careful about the worms getting too cold or they will slow activity or even die.

+ Post Reply