Water Quality

For general/other topics related to tea.

Apr 5th, '06, 22:56

by TeaFanatic » Apr 5th, '06, 22:56

We recently had our kitchen remodeled and thus got a new refridgerator. Inside the fridge, there is a filter that works so well! I'm glad to have finally found an acceptable solution to my water problem. Thanks to everyone that helped!
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Apr 17th, '06, 05:10

by tea_mage » Apr 17th, '06, 05:10

I can only say that I have been lucky to grow up where I live, the well water here is good and makes a great cup of tea, I'm absolutely addicted to it and I've been other place where the water was a fright. I think hard water makes good tea but thats just my opinion. Anway Adjo

Apr 17th, '06, 20:41

by MarshalN » Apr 17th, '06, 20:41

A very useful exercise is to simply buy a bunch of different waters and taste them. I mean really taste them. I find it very helpful. Once I did this for my girlfriend -- I got water from my Pur filter, then three different brands of water of varying hardness. One was Iceland Springs, one was Volvic, and one was Hawaiian Spring (or something like that). They taste vastly different, and is very interesting. I buy new (i.e. brands I haven't tried) bottled water whenever I see one just to see how it tastes.

Distilled water is the worst -- it is basically flat water that will make your tea tastes nasty. Drink distilled water on its own, then try a nice spring water like Iceland Springs. You'll notice the huge difference in taste. Distilled water has a sort of sharp taste that is unnatural because it has zero minerals.

Apr 20th, '06, 13:38

by yresim » Apr 20th, '06, 13:38

MarshalN wrote:Distilled water is the worst -- it is basically flat water that will make your tea tastes nasty. Drink distilled water on its own, then try a nice spring water like Iceland Springs. You'll notice the huge difference in taste. Distilled water has a sort of sharp taste that is unnatural because it has zero minerals.
I actually rather like the way that distilled water tastes. Plain and flavorless. Perfect as a glass of water on a hot day.

But not for tea. Yeck! Tea wants for complexity and body.

I do find it funny: when I refuse to drink the water at certain (most) restaurants, all of my friends are always saying things like "what is the difference, its just water." But, as you said, there is a really big difference.

~Yresim~
"I know! We could go to the Bronze, sneak in our own tea bags, and ask for hot water."
- Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Reptile Boy, Season 2)

Favorite teas: earl grey, assam, white

+ Post Reply