Share your Scroll(s)

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Nov 28th, '09, 14:58

Re: Share your Scroll(s)

by JBaymore » Nov 28th, '09, 14:58

brose,

You are correct in the general price range assesment you mention :wink: . I have a couple of Japanese works from Ningen Kokuho..... and think ofthem as the "retirement fund" :lol: .

I have purchased scrolls (I have a small collection) mainly in Japan but also on EBay. As was stated already by Victoria, if you are using EBay...... look at the feedback of the seller very carefully AND read the descriptions even more carefully. Sometimes a little "tiny" lack of information in that description can make the difference between a "good deal" and a "ripoff".

"Authenticity" is always a potential issue when you are not fluent in the language and the stylistic conventions of the genre' or the period. And when you can't examine the piece yourself in person.

Watch out for particularly beautiful looking pieces that are pretty darn cheap........ they often can be screen printed. If the EBay listing does not then also specifically say "hand painted on silk" or something like that....... it probably is a cheap reproduction item.

If you are buying strictly for the "general aesthetic"...... then you have a bit more latitude in your considerations. If you like the scroll in question and feel OK about the price you pay...... then it will make you happy. Nuf said.

I have bought "real gems" in Japan for as little as 500Y (About $5.60 US) at temple fairs and in out of the mainstream little antique shops out in the boonies of Japan. (It helps that I can "chat" a bit with the seller.) But most are more expensive than that. You likely can find some generally nice ones on Ebay for somewhere between $50.00 and $100.00.

best,

........................john

May 20th, '10, 18:50

by JBaymore » May 20th, '10, 18:50

Spring "changing of the scroll" day today in the tea room, and complementing it with a shino bottle and a single sprig of blossoms.
JCB-ScrollChange05-2010.jpg
JCB-ScrollChange05-2010.jpg (30.76 KiB) Viewed 2104 times

best,

.................john

May 23rd, '10, 07:29
Vendor Member

by IPT » May 23rd, '10, 07:29

That's beautiful John.

Here are some of the scrolls hanging in my house. These are in my tea room. I change them periodically. Basically, whenever the spirit moves me.
Attachments
teachat.jpg
teachat.jpg (36.78 KiB) Viewed 2083 times

May 23rd, '10, 11:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » May 23rd, '10, 11:35

Just beautiful IPT, wow, love them!

May 23rd, '10, 12:47
Vendor Member

by IPT » May 23rd, '10, 12:47

Thank you Victoria.

I'm sorry, I should have translated the calligraphy. I saw the poem carved in an ancient house in Huizhou. I liked it and had the calligraphy made from it. It translates as:

The moon high in the sky is reflected in the mirror-like water.
The spring rains moistens the trees from leaves to root.

I know, my poetic translation skills leave a lot to be desired.

May 23rd, '10, 13:48

by Chip » May 23rd, '10, 13:48

Thanks John and IPT for sharing your scroll updates ... which serves as reminder to do some scroll changes here as well. :idea:

May 23rd, '10, 14:01

by rabbit » May 23rd, '10, 14:01

My girlfriend just gave me an really old scroll on thin bamboo slats (kinda like a tea mat), she didn't know where it was from but she was gonna throw it out! I'll post the pic when I get home.

May 23rd, '10, 19:54

by Victoria » May 23rd, '10, 19:54

IPT wrote:Thank you Victoria.

I'm sorry, I should have translated the calligraphy. I saw the poem carved in an ancient house in Huizhou. I liked it and had the calligraphy made from it. It translates as:

The moon high in the sky is reflected in the mirror-like water.
The spring rains moistens the trees from leaves to root.

I know, my poetic translation skills leave a lot to be desired.
Very beautiful words! I was wondering about that. And even more special to have it custom made. I love the twin design. Ohhh I so wish I had room.

May 23rd, '10, 21:44
Vendor Member

by IPT » May 23rd, '10, 21:44

Living in China does make it easier. I hadn't seen this thread before, so I'll be adding photos periodically. I hope you guys do the same. This is a fun one. I love looking at people's taste in art.

May 23rd, '10, 22:41

by JBaymore » May 23rd, '10, 22:41

IPT,

Thanks for the comments.

Nice tryptich of scrolls there, IPT.

And thanks for the translation. I was going to ask for that. I take it you are fluent?

best,

...............john

May 24th, '10, 03:13
Vendor Member

by IPT » May 24th, '10, 03:13

Yes, John. I am fluent. When I moved to China I totally submerged myself in the culture. I decided not to hang out with other Westerners because I wanted to really feel China and learn its culture. A lot of people think that makes me a snob, but I've been in love with Chinese Tea and history since the 70's and figured this was the best way to do it. Anyhow, I can speak Mandarin, and the local dialect. In the little village where I have my studio, I am sometimes asked to translate for Chinese people from outside the area who cannot speak the local dialect. That's always fun.

May 24th, '10, 09:34

by JBaymore » May 24th, '10, 09:34

IPT wrote:Yes, John. I am fluent. When I moved to China I totally submerged myself in the culture. I decided not to hang out with other Westerners because I wanted to really feel China and learn its culture. A lot of people think that makes me a snob, but I've been in love with Chinese Tea and history since the 70's and figured this was the best way to do it. Anyhow, I can speak Mandarin, and the local dialect. In the little village where I have my studio, I am sometimes asked to translate for Chinese people from outside the area who cannot speak the local dialect. That's always fun.
Aha... impressive accomplishments! Having a "foreigner" translate for native Chinese must turn some heads.

Sounds a bit like my interest in Japan.....about the same time frame too....late 60's early 70s. When I am in Japan I tend to be far from the sphere of Western influence. Were I to move to Japan, I'd be doing the same thing you have done. No sense being in a different country, and then trying to surround yourself with the country you left :lol: .

Unfortunately I was never able to move there on a semi-permanent basis.... so my Nihongo (Japanese) is unfortunately FAR from fluent. I typically am there on only a two to three month stay. But I still work hard at studying it. It is difficult to maintain my skills when I return from Japan...because I don't use it on a day to day basis.

I understand your "local dialect" issue. I know a few words of "Tsugaru-ben", a dialect used in the very northern part of the main island of Honshu. It is like a totally different language from "standard" Japanese. Drives me nuts when the older people there speak it to me...... I think my understanding of Japanese is suddenly slipping..... until I realize they are not SPEAKING Japanese :lol: .

More scrolls, please.

best,

..................john

May 30th, '10, 23:38
Vendor Member

by IPT » May 30th, '10, 23:38

Here's another scroll. It features Sun Wukong, the monkey king traveling with the monk Xuan Zang. It is from the book "Journey To The West". The image of Sun Wukong, and Xuan Zang came from a 1950's Chinese comic book.
Attachments
DSCF5798.jpg
DSCF5798.jpg (53.73 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
DSCF5797.jpg
DSCF5797.jpg (60.95 KiB) Viewed 1990 times

May 31st, '10, 08:22

by JBaymore » May 31st, '10, 08:22

IPT,

Did you also have that one custom made for you?

best,

..............john

May 31st, '10, 10:06
Vendor Member

by IPT » May 31st, '10, 10:06

Sort of. I still need to get the some calligraphy from the novel put in the blank spaces. I just haven't gotten around to it. I think it'll look a lot better when I've finally got that done.

+ Post Reply