Yunnan Gold

We're always open to a little constructive criticism.

Jun 8th, '05, 13:45
Mod/Admin

Yunnan Gold

by teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 13:45

First off, I want to say that this tea, is my absolute favorite from Adagio, bar none!
BUT...you say it's got a peppery taste, and I've yet to taste it. I've had Yunnans that did, but this one doesn't seem to. The one at my local tea room does, but it also has an unfortunate alfalfa-y aspect to it too.
Don't get me wrong though, I adore your tea!!!
It has a very fruity smell to the leaf, almost overripe, but still pleasant. When steeped, I can smell the pepper in the liquor, but the taste is slightly fruity, which mellows into cream, and finally as I swallow, into butter. It has an excellent astringency, and incredible body. And the body and the creamy taste together make it seem almost as if I had dropped a bit of cream into the cup.
I don't usually put anything into my tea, especially cream, because it doesn't taste quite right. If cream in tea tasted like this tea does on it's own, I'd take cream in every cup!
In any case, I suppose my question is, am I the only one who doesn't taste the pepper? How does this wonderful tea taste to you?

Marlene

Feb 3rd, '06, 15:58

by jashnew » Feb 3rd, '06, 15:58

Marlene- I agree with you. Yunnan Gold is my favorite as well. No question about it. I think when people describe Yunnan Gold as peppery they are probably referring more to the smell. When I'm tasting Yunann Gold I would call it a more spicy flavor than peppery. But when I smell Yunnan Gold the peppery aroma comes out.

Feb 22nd, '06, 11:03

by yresim » Feb 22nd, '06, 11:03

Really? It doesn't taste like pepper??? :cry: That's the whole reason I ordered it! :cry:

Does the Yunnan Jig taste more like pepper? Should I have ordered that instead??

I'm off to pout over this. It requires some serious mourning. I was hoping for a pepper-flavored tea without all the other stuff that gets added to chai. I guess I could add my own pepper to it? Sigh. My tea isn't even here yet and I'm already disillusioned.
"I know! We could go to the Bronze, sneak in our own tea bags, and ask for hot water."
- Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Reptile Boy, Season 2)

Favorite teas: earl grey, assam, white

Feb 22nd, '06, 14:29

by klemptor » Feb 22nd, '06, 14:29

I'd agree that Yunnan Gold does have a peppery smell and taste but it's slight. If you add sugar or milk to your tea you're less likely to notice it. It's not powerfully peppery.

The peppery flavor is natural to Yunnan tea - there isn't added flavoring, so you may be expecting it to taste more strongly peppery than it is.

If I had to describe it, I'd call it slightly musky (but not smoky at all) and a more mild, smooth flavor than Keemun. In fact, if you imagine a fusion between Keemun and Assam, I'd say that's close to Yunnan.

I know it's vague but that's the best I can come up with.

In comparing the prices of the Yunnan Gold to the Yunnan Jig, you can see that the Jig is the cheaper version. I think you made the right decision in trying the Gold, although I'm not sure if I've ever had the Jig or not. (I've got so many samples at home that it's hard to remember which ones I've got!)

Ilya - I think Yunnan Gold would be great for TeaChef.
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Mar 13th, '06, 16:00

by yresim » Mar 13th, '06, 16:00

I just wanted to follow up on this, since I finally tried the yunnan gold.

I found it to have a flavor very similar to pepper, without any of the spice/kick. Overall, and very strong, yet smooth, beverage. I enjoy the maltiness of it. Definitely going on my "top 10" list.

So, if you like the malty flavor of pepper, try this tea. I do not believe you will be disappointed.

If you like the spiciness/kick of pepper, try something else (or add your own pepper).

~Yresim~
"I know! We could go to the Bronze, sneak in our own tea bags, and ask for hot water."
- Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Reptile Boy, Season 2)

Favorite teas: earl grey, assam, white

Mar 15th, '06, 00:02

recommendation

by WhiteTeaWizard » Mar 15th, '06, 00:02

You also might want to try China Yunnan Golden Temple. It's from Upton and is one of the best yunnans I've had in a very long time.
Tea:
Nature...for your mouuwth!"

+ Post Reply