Adagio Tins no more?

We're always open to a little constructive criticism.

Mar 11th, '10, 02:05

Adagio Tins no more?

by HarTEAquinn » Mar 11th, '10, 02:05

It seems Adagio has made the switch to ship all teas in bags. I'm disappointed. I loved those tins.

Mar 11th, '10, 10:03

Re: Adagio Tins no more?

by myemmie » Mar 11th, '10, 10:03

I know, I received a package in the mail two days ago expecting the switch to bags and was pleasantly surprised to find tins! More to keep in the stash LOL

Mar 13th, '10, 15:06

by Capella » Mar 13th, '10, 15:06

I'm disappointed; I really liked the Adagio tins. I'm really disappointed that there seems to only be 4 and 16 oz bags, too; there are some teas I'd like more than 4 oz but less than 16, and while I could just buy 2 of the 4 oz, my brain would start complaining that for only a little more money I could get more...

Mar 13th, '10, 16:32

by Amaikokonut » Mar 13th, '10, 16:32

I also much prefer tins to bags. I realize bags are generally a cheaper packaging option and the switch might be necessary to keep costs down, but I will really miss the charm of the tins.

Mar 13th, '10, 19:51

by wambli » Mar 13th, '10, 19:51

I just got an order yesterday. Samples were in tins. 3oz Oolong #40 is in a nice tin with UV clear top. Nice.

Mar 14th, '10, 17:30

by laura99 » Mar 14th, '10, 17:30

Was getting ready to make an order and noticed the tin option was gone. I really liked them - although with a few more orders I would have enough to last a while. Had planned on using the 50 cent off option without tin for those teas I reordered.

Mar 14th, '10, 17:33

by Schrammy » Mar 14th, '10, 17:33

I did find this place that sells tins for relatively cheap...
http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.as ... ProdID=525

Mar 15th, '10, 12:10

by SleepingFox » Mar 15th, '10, 12:10

I have to say; i'm really, really sad that Adagio made the switch to bags. I loved them. I placed a big order last week, and purposely bought the smaller sizes, b/c most were gifts- they hadn't yet switched the little order boxes to say "bags", so I assumed I'd get tins, since it said "Tins". They never sent me word that hey, we're making this switch, FYI~ and they didn't give me the 50 cent discount either- which they'll likely have done away with, but considering the circumstances... So when i got the order, only to find a mishmash of bags , I was upset. That was also weird- i ordered all 4 oz teas, but the bags are different shapes, sizes; some appear to have more, others less- one isn't even re-sealable).
I think i'm duly upset because this was a gift, and the mix-n-match bags aren't very pretty gifts, so now I'm stuck running out at the last minute to buy something else (and out a crapload that i spent on tea I can't give). I also went to the FAQ's, to see if this was announced anywhere- it's not; and in fact, they actually still have the "you're guaranteed tins" question/answer up!
But the saddest of all this, is the green factor- bags are NOT greener, not in the least. The tins are re-usable; to store more tea in, or other stuff when they're emptied. The bags have no other use, and will be tossed once emptied.
Last edited by SleepingFox on Sep 30th, '13, 14:39, edited 2 times in total.

Mar 15th, '10, 12:59

by Schrammy » Mar 15th, '10, 12:59

It's been all over the boards for quite some time on here that they were going to bagged. Yes, they should have posted it on a more public place, but alas, they did not.

Mar 15th, '10, 13:30

by laura99 » Mar 15th, '10, 13:30

I have ordered from Specialty tins. The worked out great - just be warned about the shipping price - buy a bunch at a time to make it work it. I bought 10 tins and the shipping was the same (maybe more) as the tins!

Mar 15th, '10, 13:38

by geeber1 » Mar 15th, '10, 13:38

SleepingFox wrote:That was also weird- i ordered all 4 oz teas, but the bags are different shapes, sizes; some appear to have more, others less- one isn't even re-sealable).
4 oz. of larger leaf teas or Chais won't have take up the same amount of space as 4 oz. of smaller leaf teas so it makes sense that you have different sized bags.
SleepingFox wrote:But the saddest of all this, is the green factor- bags are NOT greener, not in the least. The tins are re-usable; to store more tea in, or other stuff when they're emptied. The bags have no other use, and will be tossed once emptied.
You can re-use the empty bags. I save them to send samples to other people or to store teas that I've received in less desirable packaging. If you did have Adagio tins and ordered "refills" instead of new tins, you would still get a bag.

I imagine that a tin is actually less "green" than a bag because of the energy involved in producing the tin, plastic, etc. but I'm no expert and am only guessing at that.

Mar 15th, '10, 14:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Mar 15th, '10, 14:12

Geeber is right about different teas weighing different amounts so the volume for the same amount of weight will vary greatly. You won't want a larger "one size fits all" bag for a a small leaf tea.

And in defense of Adagio we really don't know much about the bag. They may already be made from a recycled material or they may be recyclable.

Adagio needs to address the bag issue on the "What's New" portion of their
website. Address the environmental issues and explain the reasoning, in addition to showing the new bags, sizes and what to expect.

As for the gift giving - people love getting tea as gifts. All you need to do is wrap them in pretty tissue and pop them in a gift bag. I understand your disappointment, but since the recipient doesn't know what your ideal picture was, they won't know the difference.

Mar 15th, '10, 14:28
Adagio

by ilya » Mar 15th, '10, 14:28

Sorry for the lack of official communication on this topic. e.g. tins vs bags.

For the past several months, Adagio has been working on updating our packaging and we had hoped to have it rolled out by now. We know that the tins have been an import part of the Adagio experience for many of you and so we always intended to offer empty tins as an option on the site. We had designed a new empty tin (orange/white design) and had a warehouse stocked with these.

However, due to a number of complications with the new pouches, we have been forced to push back the launch of the new packaging until May(ish) and are quickly eating into our supply of tins. About two weeks ago, we realized that we will be running out of these as well and were forced to temporarily pack our teas in generic brown bags. This solution was not ideal, but proved necessary. Thus, we are in the awkward position of offering some of our teas in tins that have already been packed and others in bags that are being filled now.

Barring any additional delays, we hope to move our entire line of teas to our new releasable pouches in the next two months.

Mar 15th, '10, 14:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Mar 15th, '10, 14:37

Thank Ilya, that explains alot! You still may want to consider addressing the issue on the "What's New" Adagio page too. You probably have some confused and disgruntled loyal customers who don't know what is happening and who don't check in here.

Mar 15th, '10, 15:01

by Schrammy » Mar 15th, '10, 15:01

Biggest problem is... how do we keep those teas fresh? I mean, I'll order tins, but it is quite expensive for a college student.

+ Post Reply