Synthetically Enhanced Teas

We're always open to a little constructive criticism.

May 17th, '06, 19:47

Synthetically Enhanced Teas

by teanewbie » May 17th, '06, 19:47

:cry:

I was very disappointed to learn today that your flavored teas and herbal teas have both natural AND unnatural (let's call it chemically enhanced) flavorings. I'm new to Adagio teas and so far I'm really enjoying this experience with this one drawback. Your customer service so far is superb. Won't you please consider adding a section for natural (and ONLY natural) flavored teas and natural (and ONLY natural) herbal teas ?

Thanks!

teanewbie

May 21st, '06, 17:13

by Darth Jeeling » May 21st, '06, 17:13

Truly?
If so, I'd like it to be mentioned in the tea descriptions...
' '...why this pain? If it would only cease just for a moment!' and he moaned. Peter turned towards him. 'It's all right. Go and fetch me some tea.' '

-The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Leo Tolstoy

May 21st, '06, 17:20

by rabbit » May 21st, '06, 17:20

If you want teas that aren't enhanced, you should drink organic "pure" teas, that aren't flavoured, with all the differant teas out there it's easy to find enjoyable and interesting flavours that aren't derived from anything but tea itself :)
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

May 26th, '06, 11:47

by teaspoon » May 26th, '06, 11:47

Ooh! OOOH!!! I happen to have very close contact with a tea seller who sells only Organic teas, and who was a little bit aggravated at a tea convention (or trade show or whatever) when adagio approached him and tried to press their wholesale teas on him, even after he said that he won't carry ANY tea that's not certified organic. Notably, that tea seller does a pretty darn good business, not only at his shop but also by mail order.

So my point is, with so much interest in organic and all-natural products, is adagio going to have an organic selection anytime?

~ all-natural teaspoon
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

May 26th, '06, 19:30
Adagio

Organic Teas

by ilya » May 26th, '06, 19:30

Actually Adagio did have an organic tea section some years back, but we found it wasn't as popular as we had hoped. We may introduce some addition organic teas in the future, but in our experience, we (and our customers) were a bit underwhelmed by the quality of the organic teas.

Keep in mind that the problem is not the organic tea itself, but rather that there are too few organic tea plantations from which to choose teas each year. We sample hundreds of teas each year before deciding on which few to carry. Occasionally, an organic tea has the best taste profile and we pick it. But more often than not, we opt for a traditional tea because it has a better price-to-value ratio.

Having said that, if you are absolutely must have your organic teas, I can recommend Rishi Tea. You'll certainly pay more, but I'm sure you will be happy with the quality.

To answer teanewbie's question... We work closely with a company that provides flavorings for our flavored teas. We try to use natural flavorings whenever possible, but some natural flavors simply do not work well. The taste either dissipates too quickly or leaves an unpleasant after-taste, and in those situations we use some combination of natural, natural-identical, or artificial flavors.

May 27th, '06, 14:36

Rooibos vanilla

by Quash » May 27th, '06, 14:36

Does anyone know if the Rooibos vanilla is 100% natural? I've seen a number of online shops selling Rooibos Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla, which sounds yummy. But, I'd prefer to continue to buy from Adagio, as I've been so impressed with the speed of shipment, packaging and the quality of the tea (at least to my unrefined tastebuds.) :)

R.

May 27th, '06, 23:14

by Darth Jeeling » May 27th, '06, 23:14

Hey, I'd choose tasty over organic any day. :wink:
Well, I'm not a big fan of flavoured teas, so I think I can live with adagio even after this heartbreaking realization. :)
' '...why this pain? If it would only cease just for a moment!' and he moaned. Peter turned towards him. 'It's all right. Go and fetch me some tea.' '

-The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Leo Tolstoy

Jun 25th, '06, 12:23

by Jim. » Jun 25th, '06, 12:23

I started to suspect that maybe the teas were not "naturally" flavored when I got my new shipment of mango tea. The stuff smells super sweet like mango bubble gum. The other two tins of Mango tea I have ordered didn't smell that sweet.

Jun 27th, '06, 03:51

by JamesBeach » Jun 27th, '06, 03:51

What's the allure of all-natural anything, anyway? I sort of get it, but it doesn't make complete sense to me. Some unnatural that's unhealthy for you, then yeah, avoid it. But I doubt any of the artificial flavorings being put in the teas here are at all malignant. So if it tastes good, what's the big deal?

Jul 18th, '06, 15:23

by happyhealthy1 » Jul 18th, '06, 15:23

I have found the Wisdom Natural brands Rooibos Tea to be my favorite. I like that they are all natural and their price is very reasonable, I buy at Whole Foods....it is my favorite so far.

Jul 22nd, '06, 01:28

by EvenOdd » Jul 22nd, '06, 01:28

I had a question about the method of flavoring. Are the flavors added through a dry method and mixed or is it a wet method. I wouldn't think tea would like liquid extracts that much.

Dec 18th, '06, 18:53

Possible icon to show which teas are 100% all natural

by teacop » Dec 18th, '06, 18:53

Just wondering if there is any possibility that Adagio can create some sort of little icon to post next to each tea selection that is 100% all-natural. That would be incredibly helpful and would certainly result in increased purchases from me.

Thanks!

Dec 18th, '06, 19:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 18th, '06, 19:33

This is one reason why I stick to unflavored tea...well first of all, after going the flavored tea route years ago, I found I like straight tea...but I also did not like not knowing what was being mixed with my healthy tea...artificial colors and flavorings....preservatives....nope...just not for me.

But this thread is interesting in that many questions were raised but perhaps not enough answers provided...I am sure this was an oversight and Adagio will reply soon now that Teacop has resurrected this thread.

Dec 21st, '06, 00:05

by XIxZer0xIX » Dec 21st, '06, 00:05

I am also the kind of guy who likes to consume only things which grew from the earth whenever possible.

Of course, the frequency of this being possible is nearing 0.

+ Post Reply