Why aren't tea grades listed?

We're always open to a little constructive criticism.

May 27th, '06, 00:06

Why aren't tea grades listed?

by Quash » May 27th, '06, 00:06

I've been very impressed with Adagio, from its site, to the ordering process to quality of teas delivered and the packaging.

But, I really do miss the absence of tea grades with each tea, when available. Other fine tea sites have them and they're very helpful and, actually, reassuring, about grade type.

I understand that the grades for black teas (i.e. SFTGFOP1, FTGFOP1 (CH)) mostly speak to tea leaf size, not necessarily quality of that tea leaf. But, combined with other classifications (Clonal, Vintage, Unique), it is very informative and useful.

Would you consider adding this standard grading system to your teas? Aside from enhancing the "fine tea" element to your Adagio brand, it would be helpful to your discerning customers and it would be educational for the rest of us.

What do you think?

Rory

May 27th, '06, 00:21

by TeaFanatic » May 27th, '06, 00:21

I agree that classification should be added, but I also think that sometimes it can be very difficult to distinguish between the classifications and also important to note is that classification is NOT standardized around the world.

I believe that grades can often be misleading because they do not take into account climate, soil conditions, etc, and are solely based on leaf size.

Also, leaf classification differs from tea to tea, for instance white classifications are different than black. I am fine with the current listing, and if you are worried, I would look at the reviews and then order a sample to start.
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

May 27th, '06, 00:35

by Quash » May 27th, '06, 00:35

I agree with you. Reviews and sample tins are very helpful. And I recognize the sub-optimal grading system in the tea industry, which I also noted. But, it would give some measure of reassurance about what you are buying, relative to what you buy from other sites.

It has the psychological effect of making it appear that the grades offered at Adagio are lower than competitor's sites, when, in fact, I suspect the grades are identical and the quality just as good or better.

For example, a couple of the estate teas on this site are also available on other sites, in varying grades, sometimes with Vintage noted, etc. I'd just like to be able to know which grade I'm buying, which is common for fine tea sites and stores.

The information doesn't paint a complete picture and it doesn't speak entirely to quality, but it does create a more informed picture for the buyer, which creates greater confidence in your purchase and in the Adagio brand.

May 27th, '06, 20:19

by jogrebe » May 27th, '06, 20:19

I'm under the impression from earlier comments made by Ilya that Adagio goes by taste testing and not by grade when choosing which teas to buy. After all most people are ultimately concerned about taste and not grade in the end, so if a cheaper grade tastes just as good or better than a more expensive grade I'd go with the lower one.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

May 27th, '06, 21:50

by MarshalN » May 27th, '06, 21:50

The British grading system for tea is entirely useless when it comes to actual taste -- it doesn't tell you much of anything about how good the tea is, merely the way the tea is processed and the current state of it. As such, I honestly am not sure why it will be necessary other than, perhaps, distinguishing it from whatever, say, Upton is offering?

If anything, puerh in China is graded and those grades do mean something with regards to the quality of the tea. So are other kinds of Chinese tea -- there's an informal grading system. Then again, Adagio probably doesn't want to tell you that the tieguanyin they sell is 3rd grade (hypothetically) because, well, 1st grade stuff costs an arm and a leg and nobody will buy it over here.

Jun 27th, '06, 06:25

by JamesBeach » Jun 27th, '06, 06:25

Adagio could always come up with its own quality grading convention, built to the specifications of its customers.

Problem is, that makes it all relative to what this business sells and doesn't help much in the way of comparing to the offerings of other companies.

All the straws are the same length!

Jun 27th, '06, 11:07
Adagio

grading tea

by ilya » Jun 27th, '06, 11:07

Since there is such wild disparity in tea grading between different regions, we felt it would cause more confusion than clarification if we added it to the descriptions. In the cases we think it helps, we do indicate if something is a first flush, second flush, etc...

Our belief is that actually tasting the tea is the best way of determining your preference for it, and that is why we offer all of our teas in sample sizes.

+ Post Reply