Best Tea Room in San Francisco

Learn about tea-related establishments open across the world.

Best Tea Room in San Francisco

Postby teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 15:52

I recently went to Lovejoy's Tearoom in San Francisco. It was truly a wonderful experience. My friends and I went on a lark. It was Sunday and though we didn't have reservation, we were lucky enough to get seated due to a cancellation. The teas were wonderful, however in addition the atmosphere and the menu made it a great find. It's a cozy friendly place with many people in casual dress. The menu had a big selection of tea sandwiches (perhaps 15) and other offerings, like pasties as well. The tea services ranged from $8.00 to $19.95. This is about half that of the high end hotels in downtown. Yet the portions were considerable. I had been concerned that the tea service wouldn't be filling, but I was wrong. We got the $19.95 Queen's Tea and got 2 sandwiches, spring greens,fruit, 2 scones with preserves, crumpet and petit fours. We were surprised at the bounty of things we received.
If you want to go to tea in San Francisco, you need to go to Lovejoy's

Chris Stehlik
teachat
Site Admin

Postby teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 15:52

I agree that Lovejoys is great...if you're an elderly lady. Honestly though, if you're interested in more than overbrewed English breakfast amd doilies, there are a number of much better places to try out. Samovar Tea Lounge is one that has a fantastic selection of teas and they do it right. Rather than just throwing leaves in the pot, they use proper brewing methods such as Yixing for pu-erh and their food menu is very good indeed. There are other places you might want to try such as

Phil
teachat
Site Admin

Postby teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 15:53

Poor Phil, he should have known...the Red Hats have been ramping up "enforcement" recently. Or was it the Grey Panthers that bumped him off?

Evan Draper
teachat
Site Admin

Postby Jing Cha » Jan 26th, '06, 02:00

Though I haven't explored terribly much, my favorite teahouses of the greater Bay area are the Imperial Tea Court, Teance, and the Golden Gate Park's Japanese Tea Garden.

If you happen to find yourself at Chez Panisse (you know, if somebody kidnaps you and forces you to spend money and enjoy yourself), be sure to try the tea: it's actually pretty nice.

If you like coffee at all, please please please be sure to check out Blue Bottle coffee. I have never had a beverage less than astounding from these guys!

Will Gladly,

Jing Cha

British Beatitudes! … Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops.
Jing Cha

Instant Messenger

Permissions