Selling of Tea Room

Learn about tea-related establishments open across the world.

Selling of Tea Room

Postby teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 18:39

Any suggestion on how to sell my tea room? My tea room is located in an historic antique district of Franklin, Tennessee. I have a very devoted group of locals and a large tourist clientele My tea room is in an old house and half of the house is decorated for children. I need to sell due to health. Any ideas how to proceed?

Martha Mitchell
teachat
Site Admin

Postby teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 18:40

I understand your frustration. Simply listing your tearoom in the standard commercial selling venues doesn't reach the specialized clients for your business. I have a hard time believing that you haven't gotten an offer yet--teachat is a good place to start. Try posting in the "Tea Rooms" category; there appear to be many individuals interested in getting into the business. Are you listed on teamap.com? You could add a note there as well. People also use the tea room locator at catteacorner.com, but I find it cluttered. And there's always the listserv teamail.net. I'd guess that any cafe/restaurant concept could be interested in your location, but this might be an outcome you're not willing to accept. Good luck, and best wishes for your health.

Evan Draper
teachat
Site Admin

Postby tealadylori » Feb 8th, '06, 18:30

I was just wondering how you sold your tea room or if you ever did? I'm worried about someone buying my tea room and doing away with it or just making it another restaurant. Were you able to sell your tea room or did you close or are you just continuing to run it with your poor health. I too am having health issues and am thinking about selling my tea room. Please feel free to email me back at tealady@themainstreetmill.com. I'm not too good about using chat rooms and don't want to miss your reply.
tealadylori

Postby maria » Feb 12th, '06, 16:32

I find that many of our customers have dreams of opening a tearoom and just don't know where to start. I would suggest that you start by putting the word out in your local community. Maybe even run an add for an open house for those people looking to join the tea industry. Offer tea and scones something inexpensive for you and make up adverstisng sheets describing what is included in the sale. Is this a turn-key sale? Get the ladies in your community talking about it. Word of mouth is much more powerful then any newspaper add. Right now as you are worring what to do about your business there is someone in your community saying I would just love to have a tearoom like the one in that old house. You have to find that person. creating a buzz about your business whether you are opening one or are closing one is the best way to be sucessful at finding a buyer. You need to be Enthusiastic about selling your tearoom even when it is the last thing you ever wanted to do, or you are not going to be able to attract and excited buyer. Another way to advertise is by simplely placeing a notice of sale on your tables:
Are you interested in owing your own tearoom?
Has something like this always been your dream?
Make your dream a reality. Whatever your name is tearoom is now for sale. Ask whatever your name is, more about this exciting oppertunity. Then come up with a sales pitch. Try not to included alot of negative information about your health problems. You want them to walk away from you feeling like WOW I could really do this. You can say something like I'm just ready to retire and starting a new chapter of my life. Very positive about your future which in turn makes the prospective buyer positive about her great new oppertunity and her future. Closing or selling what was your dream come true is never easy but by you portraying a positive and upbeat attitude about the selling of your shop you are going to be able to attract the right kind of seller. You don't want people to walk away from you feeling like oh that poor dear has to sell her tearoom. You need to make them feel inspired and feel like they can do this too because you did it even with so health problems. I hope that this will help in some small way. I apologize for my rambling I hope that both of your health issues can be resolved quickley and that you will both one day be able to go and enjoy a nice cup of tea at your former businesses and feel at peace.
maria

Instant Messenger

Permissions