IM Chat

If we've got something important to say, you'll hear it here first.

Should the IM Chat window return to the side nav?

Poll ended at Aug 31st, '08, 00:27

Yes, I missed it so much
25%
Yes, but only for registered users
67%
No, it was a distraction
8%

Total votes: 48

Aug 24th, '08, 00:27
Adagio

IM Chat

by ilya » Aug 24th, '08, 00:27

After speaking with a few chatters, I decided to get everyone's opinion on re-instating the IM chat window on the side panel. I think we solved some of the technical issues that occurred a few months ago, so I feel comfortable enough with putting it up for the duration of this vote/discussion.

Chip and Mary, I'd especially love to get your feedback.

Aug 24th, '08, 02:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 24th, '08, 02:11

It is nice to see it there. My main concerns were dealing with the technical issues. If those have been addressed fully, then that is great. I would like some more info.

Also, members have expressed a desire to self police the IM and maintain a level of decorum. I am all in favor of this. I truly hope that works.

Hopefully the problems of the past are behind us.

At least with members only, there is some accountablity assuming posters cannot use other's IDs again.

Aug 24th, '08, 03:19

by Wesli » Aug 24th, '08, 03:19

Cool with me, especially since we have the "Silence Chatters" feature back.

Aug 24th, '08, 03:25
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Aug 24th, '08, 03:25

The initial response among several people seemed to be spontaneous delight.

Aug 24th, '08, 08:28

by CynTEAa » Aug 24th, '08, 08:28

Yes! Been missing the banter in the corner. Makes the forum feel "alive."

Aug 24th, '08, 08:50

by brandon » Aug 24th, '08, 08:50

If it only shows up for registered users, they could easily have an option to opt in or out in their user profile as well. Rock on, Ilya.

Aug 24th, '08, 09:47

by Proinsias » Aug 24th, '08, 09:47

I would like to see it back in the forum for registered users. I never really used it but it was quite fun to keep any eye on, I've never bothered to visit the current IM.

Aug 24th, '08, 09:52

by Mary R » Aug 24th, '08, 09:52

I'm *thrilled* to see the chat sidebar back. It's so nice to see the conversation in action while putzing about the site. Cynthia's right--it makes the place seem more lively. The return of the Silence Chatters function is also worth its weight in gold. So far, I can say nothing but ebullient praise.

I don't know if it's currently set up to only show for registered users or not. There's a lot of upsides to being registered only (mainly the absence of trolls), but it also excludes anons who are just popping by to ask a quick, legit question and eliminates immediate feedback to people who are having issues logging in or figuring out how to work the boards. And, hey, seeing actual conversation going on is good advertisement to new people checking the site out. In fact, I think reading some of Warden, Hop, EO, and Sal's conversations was what prompted me to de-lurk.

Still, I'm one very happy li'l chatter this morning.

Aug 24th, '08, 13:24

by kymidwife » Aug 24th, '08, 13:24

OK so I quickly answered YES I missed it SO much... but I see some merit to restricting it to registered users. If chat is visible and "read-only" for unregistered users, it might prompt more lurkers to go ahead and register too. Either way, I am very glad it is back.

One tech issue... is there a way to make the IM panel scroll down as the user scrolls down the page to read posts? I am finding myself scrolling down to read posts... scrolling back up to catch what's being said in chat... back down again, etc.

Love that it's back... thanks so much Ilya!

Sarah

Aug 24th, '08, 13:44

by chamekke » Aug 24th, '08, 13:44

Back, but for registered users only, please. If newbies really want to use it, let them become members first. From their side, the process takes only a few moments; from our side, the fact that they were willing to sign up will demonstrate both genuine interest and accountability.

With the IM hidden, I keep forgetting that it's there. When I do remember, it's typically late at night, long after everyone else has fled the chatroom.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 24th, '08, 14:05

by Salsero » Aug 24th, '08, 14:05

kymidwife wrote: is there a way to make the IM panel scroll down as the user scrolls down the page to read posts?
This sounds like asking for a miracle, but if it is possible, I would also love this feature.
chamekke wrote: Back, but for registered users only, please.
Matcha Babe,
If you read Mary R's comments above about anons, she points out that they are almost always
1) frustrated people trying to sign up and wanting to know who to contact about problems,
2) members of the general public who want to know what they did wrong in brewing their tea.

Both are infrequent, but I think both are public services we should offer in the spirit of community.

Ilya, I love that I can see lil chat while I am composing a reply. Thanks!

Aug 24th, '08, 18:11

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 24th, '08, 18:11

Salsero wrote:
kymidwife wrote: is there a way to make the IM panel scroll down as the user scrolls down the page to read posts?
This sounds like asking for a miracle, but if it is possible, I would also love this feature
Actually I don't think it would all that complicated. Atleast the way I'm thinking of it that it could float alongside the screen as you scroll down on threads and the such. I've seen that sort of thing on lots of other websites where it will "follow" you down the page.

Aug 24th, '08, 18:26

by Mary R » Aug 24th, '08, 18:26

chamekke wrote:From their side, the process takes only a few moments
Actually, the process takes about 24 hours. We've currently got new accounts set up on Mod Approval in order to basically eliminate spam from showing up on the forums. (Nipping them at the source, really.) Once every day, either Xine, Chip, or myself peruse the users that have signed up during the course of the day and approve the legit ones.

It doesn't take ages, but it can be really frustrating if all that legit user wants to do is ask one quick question. I am a little biased on the matter, but I do feel sorry for them. :wink:

Aug 24th, '08, 18:43

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 24th, '08, 18:43

Mary R wrote:
chamekke wrote:From their side, the process takes only a few moments
Actually, the process takes about 24 hours. We've currently got new accounts set up on Mod Approval in order to basically eliminate spam from showing up on the forums. (Nipping them at the source, really.) Once every day, either Xine, Chip, or myself peruse the users that have signed up during the course of the day and approve the legit ones.

It doesn't take ages, but it can be really frustrating if all that legit user wants to do is ask one quick question. I am a little biased on the matter, but I do feel sorry for them. :wink:
I wouldnt doubt its been suggested before, but how about a special section of the forum where anyone can post their questions or whatever even if they dont have an account. That way if there is a lot of spam and junk its at least confined to only one section of the forum. It would be much easier to monitor that way too.

I wouldn't mind being one of those "new accounts" set on mod approval :)

Aug 24th, '08, 19:41

by Salsero » Aug 24th, '08, 19:41

PolyhymnianMuse wrote: how about a special section of the forum where anyone can post their questions or whatever even if they dont have an account.
Maybe TeaDay so we can hook in more innocent forum lurkers.

+ Post Reply