Best earl grey?

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Aug 31st, '14, 17:43

Best earl grey?

by TeamanRS125 » Aug 31st, '14, 17:43

I love Earl Grey tea! I gotta have tea without artificial flavoring. What are your choices for Earl Grey?

Sep 3rd, '14, 08:32

Re: Best earl grey?

by Poseidon » Sep 3rd, '14, 08:32

Im not sure that I have ever seen an earl grey tea that doesn't have artificial flavoring. You can find organic earl grey pretty easily but the bergamont flavoring is pretty much always artificial since it is an oil that is added to the tea. You may be able to find some natural pieces of bergamont orange and add that to a simple black tea to get the same effect.

Sep 3rd, '14, 12:55

by entropyembrace » Sep 3rd, '14, 12:55

Poseidon wrote:Im not sure that I have ever seen an earl grey tea that doesn't have artificial flavoring. You can find organic earl grey pretty easily but the bergamont flavoring is pretty much always artificial since it is an oil that is added to the tea. You may be able to find some natural pieces of bergamont orange and add that to a simple black tea to get the same effect.
Bergamont oil is actually natural flavouring :wink:

Sep 3rd, '14, 13:11

by Poseidon » Sep 3rd, '14, 13:11

entropyembrace wrote:
Poseidon wrote:Im not sure that I have ever seen an earl grey tea that doesn't have artificial flavoring. You can find organic earl grey pretty easily but the bergamont flavoring is pretty much always artificial since it is an oil that is added to the tea. You may be able to find some natural pieces of bergamont orange and add that to a simple black tea to get the same effect.
Bergamont oil is actually natural flavouring :wink:
Touche :wink: :lol:

Sep 8th, '14, 14:26
Scrolling: scrolling

Best earl grey?

by Jspigs » Sep 8th, '14, 14:26

The best earl grey I have ever had was from teatrekker.com

Sep 8th, '14, 15:11

by JRS22 » Sep 8th, '14, 15:11

Jspigs wrote:The best earl grey I have ever had was from teatrekker.com
I was just on their website checking on the status of the 2014 jasmines and they mentioned blend the earl grey tea themselves.

Dec 1st, '14, 02:06

by chamekke » Dec 1st, '14, 02:06

My husband is crazy about Cream Earl Grey, which includes a touch of vanilla. (You'd think it would clash with the bergamot, but it doesn't.)

Feb 23rd, '15, 00:44

by pizzapotamus » Feb 23rd, '15, 00:44

I'm currently on the Earl Grey from Postcard Teas. I'd say it's well balanced in that you can actually taste some of the tea rather than just explosion at a citrus processing plant. Although the bergamont is certainly still there and the aroma is wonderful.

Definitely nothing artificial in it either. They fully detail the sources for all of their teas.
60% Darjeeling 2nd Flush EX20 (Mineral Spring Tea Farm (av. 1.5-2 acres), Darjeeling, India)
20% Family Tea (Sahyadri Co-operative (av. 1.5-3 acres), Peermade, Kerala, India)
20% Darjeeling 1st Flush (Potong Tea Farm (av. 1 acre), Darjeeling, India)
Blend of two Essential Oils Of Bergamot (Calabria, prod. Gianfranco Todisco, 2013)
Even have a picture of Gianfranco standing next to some bergamont trees.

Apr 1st, '15, 15:34

by sandra » Apr 1st, '15, 15:34

I love EG with a darjeeling base. Currently I love & drink a green darjeeling with just a hint of bergamot, from hotsoup

Aug 18th, '15, 22:22

by EarlGreat » Aug 18th, '15, 22:22

The smoothest blend of earl grey that i've ever had is from
Damn Fine Tea. The tea however comes in a paint tin which is a pain to open.

check it out at
http://www.damnfinetea.com/

Dec 28th, '15, 05:09

by john.b » Dec 28th, '15, 05:09

I had an Earl Grey that seemed pretty decent from Hatvala tea, a tea shop and exporter in Vietnam:

http://hatvala.com/hatvalacoffe/

I guess it's not a secret what would make for the best Earl Grey; using a good version of a tea, good quality and appropriate type, and a good version of a bergamot oil, properly blended at the right level. If I drank more Earl Grey I could give a better appraisal of that version though; it seemed nice enough to me but then I rarely drink any flavored teas.

Some of their other teas are pretty good so it may make sense to order but probably only if combined with some of those, since it's not local for anyone outside SE Asia.

Mar 26th, '16, 05:54

by kuánglóng » Mar 26th, '16, 05:54

I used to drink a lot of Earl Grey back in the day but wasn't too happy with what was readily available back then (cheap base teas drowned in artificial flavorings) so after some time I started to make my own blends with some slightly better teas and reduced amounts of natural flavorings and didn't look back since.

Mar 27th, '16, 18:24
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 27th, '16, 18:24

ADAGIO, our host, is an excellent source for these types of tea (flavored). This area is not my "cup of tea"; yet, I drink them when at a friend's apartment. She gets many & my impression from what I have tried, is it would be hard to find better than Adagio's. When going to the site, at some point a discount pops up, &, shipping is free w/ a not too large of an order.

May 13th, '16, 12:28
Adagio

by vanderleaf » May 13th, '16, 12:28

ethan wrote:ADAGIO, our host, is an excellent source for these types of tea (flavored). This area is not my "cup of tea"; yet, I drink them when at a friend's apartment. She gets many & my impression from what I have tried, is it would be hard to find better than Adagio's. When going to the site, at some point a discount pops up, &, shipping is free w/ a not too large of an order.
Thanks for the shoutout, Ethan! Our Earl Grey Bravo is a great option for a robust Earl Grey: http://www.adagio.com/black/earl_grey_bravo.html

+ Post Reply