Holiday teas -- what am I doing wrong here?

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Oct 15th, '07, 00:59
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

Holiday teas -- what am I doing wrong here?

by skywarrior » Oct 15th, '07, 00:59

Got my holiday tea. I really wanted to try the pumpkin and OMG, it is STRONG :shock: The first was nearly undrinkable. So, I got creative and mixed in my chocolate tea with it. (1 level teaspoon each per pot of tea that makes maybe 20 oz of tea). That was somewhat tolerable.

I did what I almost never do and actually made a second infusion. Ok, this is much more like it.

Next, I tried the gingerbread. Again, almost the same thing. Mixed with chocolate tea. Ok, not bad. 2nd infusion, very nice.

:? I'm not usually this fussy about tea, but whammo, this stuff is really strong. Am I using too much tea at this point? I don't like weak tea, which is why this amazes me that it's too strong. Some pointers would be nice. Anyone have problems with this or would like to make suggestions? :?:

Oct 15th, '07, 08:02

by Samovar » Oct 15th, '07, 08:02

I think that it is all a matter of taste. I use my tea scale and measure the pumpkin and gingerbread by cupweight.

I must mention that I tend to favor my teas on the stronger side so I find the pumkin and gingerbread very delightful.

Samovar

Oct 15th, '07, 10:53

by xine » Oct 15th, '07, 10:53

Are you using the 1tsp per 8oz ratio? I haven't had a problem with the holiday teas, perhaps the spices in the gingerbread and pumpkin spice make it stronger tasting?

Oct 15th, '07, 16:15

by skywarrior » Oct 15th, '07, 16:15

xine wrote:Are you using the 1tsp per 8oz ratio? I haven't had a problem with the holiday teas, perhaps the spices in the gingerbread and pumpkin spice make it stronger tasting?
I usually use 2 tsp per pot. So, 1 tsp per 10 oz. 4 minutes at about 209F (boiling point is lower here because I'm at high altitude).

I used to brew black tea at 5 minutes and 2 1/2 tsp, but found it bitter and lacking subtlety. So, I went to 4 minutes and 2 tsp because then I could taste the nuances.

I'm a big spice person where I really love cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, but wow, I feel I'm doing something wrong here.

It looks like I'll probably have to cut the spiced tea as 1/4 spiced tea and 3/4 chocolate tea. :idea: I'll let you know how it goes.

Dec 15th, '07, 22:21

by teaforleelee » Dec 15th, '07, 22:21

In general, I think Adagio's holiday teas are much too weak where the flavors are concerned. To me, the black tea is too overpowering. :cry:

Dec 16th, '07, 02:34

by skywarrior » Dec 16th, '07, 02:34

teaforleelee wrote:In general, I think Adagio's holiday teas are much too weak where the flavors are concerned. To me, the black tea is too overpowering. :cry:
I thought I was not very sensitive to flavors, but obviously I'm wrong on that. You may want to simply go the tisane route.

Dec 16th, '07, 13:09

by yukondoit » Dec 16th, '07, 13:09

I'm not a fan of the holiday teas, overall. I love the chestnut and the cranberry ones. The candy cane kicked my butt, way too minty, burned my stomach....I gave it to my boyfriend and he likes it, along with the candy apple. Gingerbread is kind of gross and tastes like raw vegetables. Haven't tried the pumpkin yet.
----------------------->
Jessica
author+tea >> tea news, reviews & info
http://authoritea.blogspot.com

Dec 20th, '07, 23:15

by teaforleelee » Dec 20th, '07, 23:15

I love the candy cane. I couldn't taste anything at all in the candy apple.

Dec 20th, '07, 23:21

by Wesli » Dec 20th, '07, 23:21

If it's too strong, then the easiest fix is to use less leaf. Since it's flavored, your bunch could have just got an extra dose.

+ Post Reply