2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby AllanK » Jun 17th, '14, 16:29

Balthazar

Were you ever able to contact Taetea to confirm for certain that cakes with that line are fake?
AllanK

Postby Balthazar » Jun 18th, '14, 05:05

I emailed them, they never replied. But I don't think there's much of a doubt, as there were only two pressings of the 2011 Gold Dayi and people that have cakes from both pressings do not have this line on the wrapper of either. (Besides, and more importantly, there is also the fact that these fake cakes look very different).

My girlfriend asked around on a Chinese forum, too, with most members there (including Cloud) agreeing that it was likely to be fake.

DHT said they would contact their supplier immediately to find out what's been going on, but I don't know whether they did (or what answer they got), and the tea is still available for the same price at their webpage, so my impression (which may or may not be justified, although if it's not I think the vendor would have everything to gain by shedding some light on the matter publicly) is that they are still selling these.
Balthazar

Postby AllanK » Jun 18th, '14, 18:52

Balthazar wrote:I emailed them, they never replied. But I don't think there's much of a doubt, as there were only two pressings of the 2011 Gold Dayi and people that have cakes from both pressings do not have this line on the wrapper of either. (Besides, and more importantly, there is also the fact that these fake cakes look very different).

My girlfriend asked around on a Chinese forum, too, with most members there (including Cloud) agreeing that it was likely to be fake.

DHT said they would contact their supplier immediately to find out what's been going on, but I don't know whether they did (or what answer they got), and the tea is still available for the same price at their webpage, so my impression (which may or may not be justified, although if it's not I think the vendor would have everything to gain by shedding some light on the matter publicly) is that they are still selling these.

Let us know if Dragon Tea House responds further. It would be nice to see them stop selling the cake at least. I would like to think they didn't know it was a fake.
AllanK

Postby mr mopu » Jun 18th, '14, 20:50

AllanK wrote:
Balthazar wrote:I emailed them, they never replied. But I don't think there's much of a doubt, as there were only two pressings of the 2011 Gold Dayi and people that have cakes from both pressings do not have this line on the wrapper of either. (Besides, and more importantly, there is also the fact that these fake cakes look very different).

Let us know if Dragon Tea House responds further. It would be nice to see them stop selling the cake at least. I would like to think they didn't know it was a fake.

+1
mr mopu

Postby MarshalN » Jun 19th, '14, 04:42

AllanK wrote:

Honestly, the chance of that is pretty low - anyone who's spent some time in tea markets in China can tell that thing is a fake.
MarshalN

Postby TwoDog2 » Jun 19th, '14, 10:15

Here are some more in depth thoughts from me on this issue as a whole.

MarshalN wrote:Honestly, the chance of that is pretty low - anyone who's spent some time in tea markets in China can tell that thing is a fake.

It has almost as much to do with price as it does with the observation of the cake. No supplier would sell the cake for this price.

In addition to that, the wrappers and tickets do not match. If you deal in a lot of Dayi, knowing wrappers is as important as knowing tea. Dayi fakes are abundant, even for lesser known cakes.
TwoDog2
Vendor Member

Postby MarshalN » Jun 19th, '14, 21:04

TwoDog2 wrote:Here are some more in depth thoughts from me on this issue as a whole.

MarshalN wrote:Honestly, the chance of that is pretty low - anyone who's spent some time in tea markets in China can tell that thing is a fake.

It has almost as much to do with price as it does with the observation of the cake. No supplier would sell the cake for this price.

In addition to that, the wrappers and tickets do not match. If you deal in a lot of Dayi, knowing wrappers is as important as knowing tea. Dayi fakes are abundant, even for lesser known cakes.

Well in this case there's basically no way DTH doesn't know they're selling a fake.
MarshalN

Postby TwoDog2 » Jun 20th, '14, 06:01

MarshalN wrote:Well in this case there's basically no way DTH doesn't know they're selling a fake.

I guess I should have phrased that less aggressively, because I do not know them and have no experience with DTH.

My only point is that most Dayi dealers are very familiar with Dayi products. And once a certain production becomes popular, it would be very unlikely that they would have and sell that production far below market value.

For example, most Dayi wholesalers in Beijing haven not had the 2011 Gold Dayi in stock for well over a year. If they do have stock, the price is usually higher than Taobao. (They have rent to pay as brick and mortar stores, so prices are usually slightly higher)
TwoDog2
Vendor Member

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions