Young Sheng

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 25th, '09, 10:55

Re: Young Sheng

by oldmanteapot » Sep 25th, '09, 10:55

beecrofter wrote:I have what would be considered a cast iron stomache which has even tolerated chemotherapy with minimal complaint but when it comes to young sheng in quantity it is a bit sour on the belly. One thing that helps is to brew young sheng with cooler water instead of a full boil.
I hope you're much better now after treatment.

Yes, it's better to brew young sheng with slightly cooler water than at full boil. It happens to me too when I have too much sheng, let alone young sheng!

Cheers!

Sep 25th, '09, 15:43

by arghblech » Sep 25th, '09, 15:43

odarwin wrote:i say skip the young sheng and try cloud's precious aged and fine aged raw tea... save your tummy...
they are around 10 years and 5 years old respectively...
Links? I might like to try these too.

Edit: nm. I found it.
Last edited by arghblech on Sep 26th, '09, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 25th, '09, 22:21

by aKnightWhoSaysNi » Sep 25th, '09, 22:21

Zanaspus wrote:
odarwin wrote:i say skip the young sheng and try cloud's precious aged and fine aged raw tea... save your tummy...
they are around 10 years and 5 years old respectively...
It's funny. I always read about young sheng upsetting the stomach, but I have an extremely delicate GI tract, and it never adversely affects me. More lightly oxidized ball oolongs on the other hand... :cry:
We are all different indeed! Nothing settles my stomach like a nice lightly oxidized oolong. On extremely rare occasion; sencha can make my belly the slightest bit unsettled.

Sep 26th, '09, 19:16

by Maitre_Tea » Sep 26th, '09, 19:16

I've heard the same thing about lightly oxidized oolongs, especially high mountain varieties, have the tendency to upset people's stomachs. I remember MarshalN blogging about this, and some of my friends express the same sentiment.

I believe in just consuming enough of a tea that your body just has to deal with it...what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. My grandmother used to be a regular tea drinker whose sleep was affected by its consumption, by after laying off the leaf (on doctor's orders) for about a year, she can't even have a sip without having a sleepless night.

I shudder to think that someday my tolerance to caffeine will disappear. Luckily, a childhood of sweets and an education built on coffee has perhaps made me immune it its affects.

+ Post Reply