Puerh Storage Conditions OK?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 14th, '09, 23:27

Puerh Storage Conditions OK?

by jackdaniel » Oct 14th, '09, 23:27

I know this questions has been asked before, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer, and sometimes the answer varies by region.

Under what temperature, relative humidity, and air flow conditions should I store my pu?

I have both sheng and shu. Each in separate cardboard boxes. Nothing is in plastic. Everything is in original wrapper or thin tissue paper-like wrapper or brown paper bag. I store in my basement in the northeastern US. My temperature is about 60-80 degrees year-round, with 60-85% RH. I opene the boxes maybe once a month.

Is this OK? Recommendations?

Thanks!

Oct 14th, '09, 23:35

Re: Puerh Storage Conditions OK?

by Zanaspus » Oct 14th, '09, 23:35

Sounds fine to me. Too many folks obsess over storage imho. The only warning I would give about a basement is that most basements tend to have a rather musty smell even if finished. If yours falls into this category I would find another spot. Over time your teas will lap up that mustiness like a kitten with a bowl of milk.

Oct 15th, '09, 00:31

by odarwin » Oct 15th, '09, 00:31

your humidity levels looks ok...
from my experience (im in manila) when humidity stays at 85% for one day, then mold starts to appear in cakes that i usually check often, because they get exposed to humidity more often than those cakes that i just leave alone.
id also suggest to just check the cakes or open the boxes only once every season. urge the temptation.

-darwin

Oct 15th, '09, 17:54

by nonc_ron » Oct 15th, '09, 17:54

Under what temperature, relative humidity, and air flow conditions should I store my pu?
I also store in my basement in the northeastern US.
You should have a humidifier. I got mine cheep at the flea market.
I also have both sheng and shu. (not much Shu only one cardboard file storage box.)
All the rest are Shen, in original wrappers, plus in a brown paper bag, And stored in cardboard file storage box.
The Darjeeling teas I keep in canisters.
All the storage information and notes are stored on my computer so I can find anything in minutes. :lol: (minutes Ha Ha Ha Ha )

+ Post Reply