Yunnan Sourcing New Website

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 10th, '09, 21:16

Re: Yunnan Sourcing New Website

by skilfautdire » Nov 10th, '09, 21:16

Very nice site. I don't want to pick but I've noticed that for the Premium Tie Guan Yin of Anxi (250 g), the new web site (at the low price of $13.50) does not specify the harvest year whereas the ebay site (at $30.00) does: 2009.

Ah, for the price, the new website says 100g at the top of the page although the description says 250g (since it was copied from ebay). I just noticed the 100g.

Well, that's tempting to buy. May I ask what's the connection with Portland ?

Thanks a lot for your teas.

Nov 12th, '09, 11:35

by jackdaniel » Nov 12th, '09, 11:35

Great new site. Glad you are edging away from eBay.

My biggest recommendation is to get an SSL certificate and add secure login/checkout to the site since it handles debit transactions.

Nov 12th, '09, 11:56

by Jack_teachat » Nov 12th, '09, 11:56

Shame I only spotted this thread after I'd just placed an Ebay order! :oops: Nevermind, will use the site next time!

Jack :D

Nov 12th, '09, 13:48

by edkrueger » Nov 12th, '09, 13:48

yunnan_sourcing wrote:Hi... with the already really low pricing... the ""Buy 7, get the 8th free" does not apply. For certain products we will institute something akin to that soon, a kind of quantity discount.

The mention of "Buy 7, get the 8th free" was brought over from eBay when we imported the descriptions. The only way I could convince myself to get the site done was based on importing items and prices from eBay. Writing new descriptions and linking pictures for 950 products by hand was just too terrifying!

We also instituted a loyalty program which gives you $0.30 for every $5.00 spent. This might not seem like alot but it turns into an additional 6% discount. Making the products on the site 16% cheaper than eBay.

We also have new EMS pricing for most countries... in most cases this makes EMS only slightly more than SAL... EMS is much much faster!

Anyways.... blah blah blah! Thanks for listening!

- Scott
I wasn't meaning to complain. I do see that 8 cakes in your new store are cheaper than 7+1 free on ebay. As for the shipping I think I will let my cakes age a bit on the surface shipping transport. I'll place an order soon.
Thanks,
Edward

Nov 13th, '09, 07:17

by Trioxin » Nov 13th, '09, 07:17

Look like the site was well worth the wait. Fantastic job Scott.

Nov 18th, '09, 22:38

by aKnightWhoSaysNi » Nov 18th, '09, 22:38

Very nice website, I hope the search feature reappears soon.

Nov 26th, '09, 21:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Nov 26th, '09, 21:28

The new site is lovely, just placed my first order.

I would like to see some sort of 'display by age' option.

Nov 27th, '09, 23:03

by nonc_ron » Nov 27th, '09, 23:03

Proinsias wrote:The new site is lovely, just placed my first order.
I would like to see some sort of 'display by age' option.
You can do a search by Date thats almost as good.
Like search for 2005. (my idea of old)Image

Dec 6th, '09, 13:35

by MarshalN » Dec 6th, '09, 13:35

Is it just me or is it down?

Dec 6th, '09, 14:55

by Maitre_Tea » Dec 6th, '09, 14:55

I just checked the site an hour or so ago, and it seemed to be up; however, there were times when the site was down...I think he's still tinkering with it all

Dec 6th, '09, 15:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Dec 6th, '09, 15:26

Great site! I have purchased from the eBay shop many times, this is even better. Congats!

Dec 8th, '09, 09:24

by benicemi » Dec 8th, '09, 09:24

So the website has been launched, so it is a quite nice new thing. It is really a nice website that could have a good store. Maybe I should look forward to on the item and take some time to spend a little thing on it.

:)

Feb 12th, '10, 17:49

by DJ3riple » Feb 12th, '10, 17:49

Store looks cool :)
Last edited by DJ3riple on Mar 29th, '11, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 14th, '10, 11:07

by skilfautdire » Feb 14th, '10, 11:07

If I may comment, there could be a bit more https in there. As in secure mode browsing. All personal and order info are currently not transmitted securely.

Most if not all online order sites enters https as soon as a password is entered since that means that the consumer will be accessing personal information. Try it with Amazon for instance and click on 'your account'. https is immediately summoned up. Same with Yuuki-cha. Try it with your favorite online stores.

For instance, these pages of yunnansourcing that are accessed after the password is entered are not transmitted securely:

http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/addresses.php

http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/identity.php

This does not affect payment, as payment is made via paypal, which is secure. It only pertains to personal and order information.

Could it be that the Chinese government is stipulating that secure mode browsing should not be used when users are entering personal information ? I have no other Chinese online ordering site to compare with.

Feb 14th, '10, 13:07

by wyardley » Feb 14th, '10, 13:07

skilfautdire wrote: Could it be that the Chinese government is stipulating that secure mode browsing should not be used when users are entering personal information ? I have no other Chinese online ordering site to compare with.
YSLLC's site isn't hosted in China, and I think you're being a little overly paranoid. I don't think the order information (in particular) or home address information are so sensitive that they need to be encrypted. I can think of plenty of other sites which transmit this sort of data in the clear. Aside from that, any e-commerce site which emails you back your order information and address is also sending it in the clear, and the chances of someone being able to get access to those email messages are greater than their chances of being able to sniff your session while you're ordering.

While technically, it's an outside chance that someone could intercept this information if it's transmitted in the clear, I don't think you have much to worry about, even if you're concerned about someone figuring out your home address or what you're ordering.

+ Post Reply