Some Russians say about Ripe Pu

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 17th, '10, 08:29

Some Russians say about Ripe Pu

by banzhang » Jan 17th, '10, 08:29

Friend of mine work in a tea shop in russia.
This is what he said to me:
"Russians say that ripe pu smells like fish, like wood, like
earth, we had even one customer, he screamed that we sold 'em socks,
that whole china had worn. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jan 18th, '10, 16:40

Re: Some Russians say about Ripe Pu

by arghblech » Jan 18th, '10, 16:40

It takes a while to get around some of those strong flavors. My first reaction was old socks and compost :lol:

Jan 20th, '10, 02:52

by hop_goblin » Jan 20th, '10, 02:52

What kind of shoupu are the ruskies drinking! LOL

Jan 20th, '10, 05:38

by betta » Jan 20th, '10, 05:38

Could it be Puodka? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jan 23rd, '10, 11:09

by Serg » Jan 23rd, '10, 11:09

Well, I'm from Russia and I can confirm -- yes, it's true! I personaly saw one woman that said her ripe pu-erh had a smell like dead mouse :lol: First, in Russia there is no strong tea culture at all. Most people used to drink black ceylon or indian tea of lower grades. Nowadays, a lot of people also drink artifically flavoured teas of all kinds with every possible aroma. Green tea is consumed by some but also of a very low grade. Pu-erh is considered to be some exotic tea. People don't know anything about pu-erh so there is an opportunity for a vendor to sell any low grade of pu-erh and tell that it should have any weird smell ("But it is so good for your health!", you know that marketing garbage). As for me, I encountered some ripe pu-erh that had a distinct fish smell :? I am glad that I can buy some better pu-erh from trusted on-line vendors. For example I have now two ripe pu-erhs from seven cups and they have nice flavour and aroma. But still I think ripe pu-erh has some wooden and earthy notes, there are autumn leaves also :)

Feb 2nd, '10, 12:34

by jktea » Feb 2nd, '10, 12:34

Well from my personal experience, if the ripe Pu Er smells like earth, it means this ripe Pu Er has been wet storaged, and the interior ingredients of tea have changed, so these ripe Pu Er has gone bad(or mouldy, in a Chinese way).

For many big factory's ripe Pu Er, such as Dayi, Xiaguan and any others, its new ripe Pu Er always have the dead fish aroma(even in the tea soup, little salty tea soup), this is smell, we call it piling-fermentation smell. Because during the around 40 days fermentation, the teas get this aroma. So the dead fish wont disappear until 2 years later. Then your ripe Pu Er tea is on the process of aging.

Now there is a new techinque to ferment the Pu Er tea, bamboo basket Pu Er tea fermentation; but this is only for small quantity, and high quality ripe Pu Er teas; Via this bamboo basket fermentation, there is no dead fish(piling fermentation smell) at all. I tried 2009 ripe Pu Er tea via bamboo basket way, super good, smooth, sticky and sweet. :D

Feb 2nd, '10, 19:43

by entropyembrace » Feb 2nd, '10, 19:43

Puerh sold locally in Edmonton is just gross...I order all of mine from high quality Chinese vendors...

probably the same problem Russians have...

Feb 9th, '10, 17:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by pb2q » Feb 9th, '10, 17:33

jktea wrote:Now there is a new techinque to ferment the Pu Er tea, bamboo basket Pu Er tea fermentation; but this is only for small quantity, and high quality ripe Pu Er teas; Via this bamboo basket fermentation, there is no dead fish(piling fermentation smell) at all. I tried 2009 ripe Pu Er tea via bamboo basket way, super good, smooth, sticky and sweet. :D
jktea: this interests me. Can you talk more about this? How small is small quantity?

+ Post Reply