Pu-erh: origins, dookie, and a poll

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Would you drink a cup of worm dropping pu-erh?

No way!
35%
Maybe just a sip.
38%
If you pay me enough.
12%
Yes! I crave it like nothing else!
15%

Total votes: 60

Mar 2nd, '06, 20:04

Pu-erh: origins, dookie, and a poll

by WhiteTeaWizard » Mar 2nd, '06, 20:04

"Unlike other varieties of tea, Pu-Erh Tea is traditionally made with older leaves (not the first flush or budding leaves) from tall and old trees. These trees are of a type only found in Yunnan Province, known as broad leaf tea. The leaves are covered with fine hairs, are larger than other tea leaves, and have a different chemical composition. The leaves are then left green or moderately fermented before being dried. Often times the tea is then formed into cakes or bricks, wrapped in paper or pomello rinds, and stored outside exposed to moisture, air, and heat for order to further mature. Then the tea is stored underground for several years before taking on the darker, mellower characteristics that make Pu'erh tea. This type of tea originated from the natural aging process that happened along the ancient caravan routes, and the tea bricks were at times used as a form of currency. The tea bricks developed a unique flavor that was then refined by aficionados. One of the most expensive and rare Pu'erh teas is made from the droppings of worms that eat stored Pu'erh bricks."

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Pu-erh_tea
Tea:
Nature...for your mouuwth!"

Mar 2nd, '06, 21:17

by garden gal » Mar 2nd, '06, 21:17

Perhaps that's why it may assist with weight loss- you find out what your drinking and lose your appetite. LOL

Mar 2nd, '06, 23:00

by Warden Andy » Mar 2nd, '06, 23:00

I would drink it. There is probably a reason it's the rarest and most expensive pu-erh. Although, I have a hard time believing that pu-erh with worm poop in it would be the rarest and most expensive pu-erh.

Mar 2nd, '06, 23:02

by Marlene » Mar 2nd, '06, 23:02

I've got to wonder about the accuacy of that wikipedia entry. If the tea had been digested by worms, it would disintigrate in your cup, leaving you with sludge, not tea.
In the RFDT newsgroup, we discuss puerh a LOT and worm dropping puerh has never come up. Not even by the blatant spammers who claim to be selling high quality antique puerh at rock bottom prices. I'll post that entry there, and see what reaction it stirs up!
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Mar 2nd, '06, 23:05

by EvenOdd » Mar 2nd, '06, 23:05

I can believe it. There's real expensive coffee beans that goats eat and leave behind. Can't recall the name.

Mar 3rd, '06, 02:42

by jogrebe » Mar 3rd, '06, 02:42

EvenOdd wrote:I can believe it. There's real expensive coffee beans that goats eat and leave behind. Can't recall the name.
Are you sure it was goats I thought it was monkeys, regardless poop coffee does not sound good to me.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Mar 3rd, '06, 04:29

by yresim » Mar 3rd, '06, 04:29

jogrebe wrote:Are you sure it was goats I thought it was monkeys, regardless poop coffee does not sound good to me.
Poop used in context as a food or drink of any kind doesn't sound good to me.

I would try this pu-erh, if I was well-paid. Worm poop is pretty much dirt/mud, anyway, right?

As for the coffee, I wouldn't try it for anything. Because mammal poop is most definitely poop. And I don't eat poop.

~Yresim~
"I know! We could go to the Bronze, sneak in our own tea bags, and ask for hot water."
- Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Reptile Boy, Season 2)

Favorite teas: earl grey, assam, white

Mar 3rd, '06, 12:42

by Marlene » Mar 3rd, '06, 12:42

Okie dokie, RFDT has weighed in! It's real and here's where you can read more about it, and find links to buy it: http://www.pu-erh.net/poopoopuerh.html
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Mar 3rd, '06, 17:45

by WhiteTeaWizard » Mar 3rd, '06, 17:45

Amazing, Marlene. I never would have expected so much detail so quickly on such an obscure topic.

So, how much does this droppings pu-erh cost? I'm almost afraid to ask.
Tea:

Mar 3rd, '06, 18:14

by jogrebe » Mar 3rd, '06, 18:14

At least $1,000 a pound wholesale when it can be found according to http://www.holymtn.com/tea/pu-erh.htm
Last edited by jogrebe on Mar 3rd, '06, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Mar 3rd, '06, 18:23

by WhiteTeaWizard » Mar 3rd, '06, 18:23

"They actually Farm the Larva now and the puerh is said to be as good as the naturally occurring product. The cultivated variety is nowhere near the price mentioned on the Holy Mountain web site."
http://www.pu-erh.net/poopoopuerh.htm
(Courtesy of Marlene)

I guess this means the price is now much lower. But how much lower?l
Tea:

Mar 3rd, '06, 22:04

by garden gal » Mar 3rd, '06, 22:04

And to think I get upset if the little buggies get in my flour/cake mix/nuts- so maybe I should use them to make the cookies then make a fortune off of them? Somehow I don't think that would go over well in the midwest. Someone who had a major infestation then turned it around into a delicacy is laughing himself silly about now.

Mar 4th, '06, 00:54

by Marlene » Mar 4th, '06, 00:54

Doesn't Mike Petro just rock? I love this guy and his dedication to an obsucre tea.
-Billy Connolly

Aug 22nd, '06, 23:44

Gotta try the poo!

by lebowitz » Aug 22nd, '06, 23:44

So where can you actually buy the poo poo pu erh or chong cha?

I saw a show on the history channel I think about this worm cheese they make in the Canary Islands. Worm poo made the cheese taste special. I would rather try this tea.

Dec 9th, '06, 04:23

by sjschen » Dec 9th, '06, 04:23

EvenOdd wrote:I can believe it. There's real expensive coffee beans that goats eat and leave behind. Can't recall the name.
Not sure about the goat thing but there is a coffee made from beans collected from civet feces :P http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

+ Post Reply