Puerh for colds?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 10th, '11, 16:35

Re: Puerh for colds?

by TwoPynts » Feb 10th, '11, 16:35

AdamMY wrote:Sadly I came down with another cold this morning ( I think I blame this thread), and I am about to go try that again. Wish me luck.
That's a bummer. Let us know how the experiment goes this time. Also, you may want to consider some of the concoctions from the other thread (link at the top). I swear by a black tea base (or green) with honey, ginger, cinnamon and garlic added. Skip the garlic if you can't stomach it.

Feb 11th, '11, 00:34
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Feb 11th, '11, 00:34

One man's best medicine can be another man's poison. There is no such thing that is good for everybody at any time. I've found shu puerh (which I seldom drink) helps me with stomach problems, and I suspect it would do just the opposite on some other people.

Feb 11th, '11, 01:02

by heatwaves » Feb 11th, '11, 01:02

Wow! Thanks everyone for all of the responses. Interesting to see the responses run the gamut from strong young sheng, to old sheng, to no sheng. I was even surprised by the no green tea remark. I always thought of green tea as a panacea for everything.

Tomorrow I think I'll take Nada's and Shah8's advice of old sheng. The oldest I have is 1993 7542 Menghai (from Nada coincidentally).

Today I had the 2003 Yiwu Manluo Zhengshan (once considered for a B&B Taobao group buy). While it didn't terribly impress me, I feel great tonight. I'm a skeptic, so I'll attribute the quick recovery to a weak cold virus strain and rest.

Feb 11th, '11, 08:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 11th, '11, 08:50

heatwaves wrote:Wow! I was even surprised by the no green tea remark. I always thought of green tea as a panacea for everything.
:lol: OK ...

senCHAAAAAAAA!!!!

I actually thought I was being good. :mrgreen:

Seriously sold on sencha for before, during and after. I used to have a killer post-cold sinus infection every year for well over a decade or two that would require antibiotics to kick. These are the kind that make you feel really mortal.

Once I began drinking sencha regularly, ZERO. Each time a cold starts coming on, I stay the sencha course and it just fades with a wimper, even with minor sinus infection symptoms. I also am sold on saline spray ...

Coincidence?

Feb 11th, '11, 10:43

by TwoPynts » Feb 11th, '11, 10:43

Chip wrote:...I also am sold on saline spray ...

There's always another way to use your sencha - Nasal Irrigation!
nasal-rinse.jpg
nasal irrigation
nasal-rinse.jpg (19.76 KiB) Viewed 1776 times

Feb 11th, '11, 11:21

by heatwaves » Feb 11th, '11, 11:21

Chip wrote:
heatwaves wrote:Wow! I was even surprised by the no green tea remark. I always thought of green tea as a panacea for everything.
:lol: OK ...

senCHAAAAAAAA!!!!

I actually thought I was being good. :mrgreen:

Seriously sold on sencha for before, during and after. I used to have a killer post-cold sinus infection every year for well over a decade or two that would require antibiotics to kick. These are the kind that make you feel really mortal.

Once I began drinking sencha regularly, ZERO. Each time a cold starts coming on, I stay the sencha course and it just fades with a wimper, even with minor sinus infection symptoms. I also am sold on saline spray ...

Coincidence?
That's quite amazing, Chip. Typically, I drink shincha for the onset and during colds, but I thought I'd give sheng a whirl to see if my body responded miraculously. I still have about 300g of shincha left over from last spring. :shock: I know, a travesty that I still have that much left. I definitely bought too much (600 or 700g, if I remember correctly). Thankfully the 300g is unopened and refridgerated, so it still should be relatively fresh.

Feb 11th, '11, 11:23

by heatwaves » Feb 11th, '11, 11:23

TwoPynts wrote:

nasal-rinse.jpg
TwoPynts, I'm glad you used this photo instead of the one showing the sencha enema.

Feb 11th, '11, 11:38

by TwoPynts » Feb 11th, '11, 11:38

heatwaves wrote:TwoPynts, I'm glad you used this photo instead of the one showing the sencha enema.

:shock:
Okay you know I had to Google that. Thank goodness you were joking.

Feb 12th, '11, 01:47

by betta » Feb 12th, '11, 01:47

heatwaves wrote:
betta wrote:
The component in the puerh somehow increases metabolism rate in your body...
... but only if you're jogging while drinking it. :wink:
You need to read more about influence of food intake to metabolism of your body, my dear :wink:

Feb 12th, '11, 09:09

by rabbit » Feb 12th, '11, 09:09

TwoPynts wrote:
heatwaves wrote:TwoPynts, I'm glad you used this photo instead of the one showing the sencha enema.

Why not? If people use coffee because the caffiene stimulates the digestive track I would imagine sencha or matcha would work just fine ;)

Feb 12th, '11, 10:02

by iannon » Feb 12th, '11, 10:02

rabbit wrote:
TwoPynts wrote:

Why not? If people use coffee because the caffiene stimulates the digestive track I would imagine sencha or matcha would work just fine ;)
OMG some one lock this thread! :shock:

Feb 12th, '11, 13:47

by heatwaves » Feb 12th, '11, 13:47

rabbit wrote:
TwoPynts wrote:

You may have just unlocked the secret as to how sheng is ultimately converted to shu.

Feb 15th, '11, 16:59

by teaisme » Feb 15th, '11, 16:59

:lol:

This is great someone try it , I think you may have stumbled upon a new health craze :mrgreen:

I get the feeling that sencha does help (me at least) even though it is supposed to be cooling

It seems recovery is a lot faster with it (at least for flu, cold I have not had in a while)
I conquered the flu in 3 days with just sleep, sencha, juices, and rice milk
Symptoms were very strong but much shorter lived

Feb 16th, '11, 14:40
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Feb 16th, '11, 14:40

TwoPynts wrote:
Chip wrote:...I also am sold on saline spray ...

nasal-rinse.jpg
Actually I have a nasal rinse pot (not sure if it's the right name) in a similar shape as this tea pot :P so I don't have to put the spout of my teapot in my nose :lol:

Feb 16th, '11, 23:46

by putibungsu » Feb 16th, '11, 23:46

gingkoseto wrote:
Actually I have a nasal rinse pot (not sure if it's the right name) in a similar shape as this tea pot :P so I don't have to put the spout of my teapot in my nose :lol:
I think it's called neti pot.

+ Post Reply