How did you "find" Pu'erh tea?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 21st, '12, 21:10

Re: How did you "find" Pu'erh tea?

by davelcorp » Jan 21st, '12, 21:10

I'll use this as an opportunity to introduce myself. I've been lurking here for a while, and I'm going to start posting with some regularity.

Some of you already know me (Hi Marshaln). I first discovered puer around 2002 or 2003. I'd been drinking oolongs for a while and lived down the street from the original location of Imperial Tea Court in San Francisco. I sampled a few different shu pu's there added it to my list of enjoyed varieties. ITC had very few shengs, so I didn't really realize that they were an option.

In 2004 my son was born and I started grad school, which equated to many late nights of studying (and surfing the web). I started exploring tea with a little more interest as a late night alternative to coffee and stumbled upon a few pu related bits of info on the web. I soon became sucked in and a true pu addict.

At that time the biggest resources for puer info was rec.food.tea, Mike Petro's website, and the live journal page (howdy Bears cubed). The biggest shopping options for U.S. based puer drinkers was Yunnan Sourcing (e.bay only) and Houde.

Fast forward a few years. I finished grad school and started my business and my son developed better sleeping habits. My gong fu sessions and puer purchasing slowed down a bit and I faded away from the puer internet world. Meanwhile kilos of puer continue to age in my living room pumidor. Recently I've settled into a better routine and have been digging into the pumidor with more regularity. Surprisingly, many of my bings are aging quite nicely.

Nice to meet everyone here, old and new, and look forward to joining the conversations and tea sessions.

cheers,
David Lesseps

p.s. hit me up if you live in the SF Bay Area.

Jan 21st, '12, 21:25
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 21st, '12, 21:25

Welcome back to the club David ~ Toki

Jan 22nd, '12, 09:06

by shah82 » Jan 22nd, '12, 09:06

I promise not to poke you in the eye...

Jan 22nd, '12, 09:57

by BioHorn » Jan 22nd, '12, 09:57

Hi David,
Nice to read your story and have another pu person back on the forum. Good to hear those cakes are aging well! :mrgreen:

Jan 22nd, '12, 20:41

by davelcorp » Jan 22nd, '12, 20:41

shah82 wrote:I promise not to poke you in the eye...
Shah82, you are welcome to poke me in the eye (as my son did a few years ago) as long as you use a 50's Red Label and let me keep the offending object. :D

+ Post Reply