"Cave Aged"

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 4th, '11, 10:06

"Cave Aged"

by whatsinaname » Aug 4th, '11, 10:06

On holiday, I returned to the tea shop who collected my first tea tuition. Upon my recommendation, they have begun to carry some Puerh. The owner was not there, but the young man used the term "cave aged" to describe the traditional storage that the loose leaf puerh had undergone.

I thought that was an interesting phrase that accurately described the storage to a novice public. I had never heard this particular phrase before, but knew exactly what he meant, especially given the unmistakable shicang odor of the tea. I'm waiting to return home to test the teas, which may be worth buying again if they are good.

They also had some cakes that were for show, and when I looked at the CNNP yellow mark, it had the unmistakable sticky tag from Jim at Puerh Shop!

In response to my query for 2011 green and oolong teas, the response was "they're not out yet..." This was the point when I turned tail and ran. Son, I am disappoint.
Last edited by whatsinaname on Aug 5th, '11, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 4th, '11, 12:12
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: "Cave Aged"

by Drax » Aug 4th, '11, 12:12

Hrm, interesting! Reminds me of blue cheese... :D

It seems you have out-grown your first tea shop, and that is simultaneously a sad and happy occasion. Congratulations!

Aug 4th, '11, 12:39
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Aug 4th, '11, 12:39

Probably the "cave" he said means the one-side basemet-one-side-ground level of a house built on a slope, like what's called "garden level" in New England? I think that's what's often called "traditioal" in Hong Kong storage.

Aug 4th, '11, 14:13

by whatsinaname » Aug 4th, '11, 14:13

Yes, "cave aged" definitely refers to traditional storage. Or so it seems to me.

After a quick grandpa-style tasting here in the North Country, I can say that these are shou puerh that perhaps has seen some more recent traditional-style storage (aka, "cave aged"). Or, it could just be some old shou. I don't have enough experience to tell.

Interesting examples of a style I've no deep interest in, aged shou, but I was able to enjoy them nonetheless. Looking forward to trying these with gongfu in the winter when I need a warming cup.

I may inquire about that yellow label for kicks and giggles.

Aug 4th, '11, 19:21

by entropyembrace » Aug 4th, '11, 19:21

I thought "cave storage" meant David Lee Hoffman´s storage :roll:

Aug 5th, '11, 10:52

by the_skua » Aug 5th, '11, 10:52

entropyembrace wrote:I thought "cave storage" meant David Lee Hoffman´s storage :roll:
I did too. I looked at his list of teas the other day...what's with the lack of producer attribution?

Aug 5th, '11, 11:41

by tieguanyin » Aug 5th, '11, 11:41

the_skua wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:I thought "cave storage" meant David Lee Hoffman´s storage :roll:
I did too. I looked at his list of teas the other day...what's with the lack of producer attribution?
And never mind identifying it is a shu or sheng :| !

Aug 5th, '11, 13:19
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Aug 5th, '11, 13:19

But a few people told me DLH's puerh is California DRY storage...

But of course only the speaker can define what his "cave aged" means.

Aug 5th, '11, 18:43

by whatsinaname » Aug 5th, '11, 18:43

I am having the same sort of problem with this vendor that uses terms like "cave aged". How do I sort the ethics of calling them out on their nonsense? I'm not sure its worth the bother in the long run...
tieguanyin wrote:
the_skua wrote:
And never mind identifying it is a shu or sheng :| !

Aug 6th, '11, 20:15

by wyardley » Aug 6th, '11, 20:15

gingkoseto wrote:But a few people told me DLH's puerh is California DRY storage...

But of course only the speaker can define what his "cave aged" means.
If memory serves, it's a man-made "cave" anyway. I think it's mostly a gimmick to appeal to people who understand the concept of caves for aging wine.

+ Post Reply