2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 5th, '14, 20:05

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

by Exempt » Jun 5th, '14, 20:05

Well, after examination of the link that apache posted I have determined that one of the cakes is real and one is fake. One is thicker and looser, has the wire squarely in the label and not faded in, has the leaflet in the tea 14.2 cm not 15 cm, and doesn't have the dayi sheet implanted in the tea. The other, however, is exactly as the website describes as a factory tea. However, the one fake that I have doesn't have the line that this post is about. So basically

DO NOT BUY 2011 JIN DAYI FROM DRAGON TEA HOUSE

The one real one isn't worth the one fake I got :evil:

Jun 5th, '14, 20:38

by shah82 » Jun 5th, '14, 20:38

apologies to the people who took my advice and bought cakes from them. I'd say that it's pretty uncharacteristic for DTH to sell fakes, and didn't take the low price as a signal that something is off, with the assumption that they're behaving like Houde does and let the price stagnate.

Jun 5th, '14, 20:52

2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

by Exempt » Jun 5th, '14, 20:52

shah82 wrote:apologies to the people who took my advice and bought cakes from them. I'd say that it's pretty uncharacteristic for DTH to sell fakes, and didn't take the low price as a signal that something is off, with the assumption that they're behaving like Houde does and let the price stagnate.
It's not your fault, you simply gave your opinion regarding a normally fairly reputable seller. It's unfortunate that this happened, but what's 60 bucks in the grand scheme of things. I think I'm going to do side by side tasting in the next week to see how well done the fake is compared to the real cake. The compression is different but the smell and look is actually quite similar. I'll just use it as a learning experience.

Jun 5th, '14, 22:26

by Rdeitz » Jun 5th, '14, 22:26

On a related note, I purchased a 1998 CNNP 7542 cake from them recently, at what seemed like a steal at $33. It was pretty bad. Not sure whether it was a fake or just badly stored. I even asked the owner why he was selling it for so cheap before I purchased it. He just said there is a lot of it out there, which seemed like a bad and uninformed answer. I highly doubt he really thought that. Other items I have bought from them have been just fine.

Jun 6th, '14, 03:51

by apache » Jun 6th, '14, 03:51

apache wrote:IMHO, there is only one batch of 2011 GD, and it was manufacture on two separate days, 8th and 12th June 2011. I have both versions and I have yet to find one of mine has that vertical line.

However, the same year Dayi Yiwu does have the similar vertical red line!

Here I find a page might be helpful or cause more confusion:
https://tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/f36330039

Just find out that, that is an auction website, and this link is only good for a few days!.
I should have made it more clear. B is fake (on the right), 'B' is a common term they use in HK and probably in else where as well meaning fake.

The font outside wrapper is rather difficult to see the different. The security seal is a bit easier, the fake one inlay doesn't fading in and out. Also, the real McCoy has a much thinner cake shape and thinner cake edge.

Jun 6th, '14, 04:09

by apache » Jun 6th, '14, 04:09

Change the subject slightly, this year 7542 is round 150 rmb, I think it's a good price. It obviously is nothing great but store it for say 5 or 6 years in 'good' storage environment, it would be a good everyday mindless drink.

Jun 6th, '14, 06:25

by Balthazar » Jun 6th, '14, 06:25

Chip, maybe it would be a good idea to split this thread and move the posts regarding DHT and 2011 Gold Dayi to a thread of its own?

Decided to take some pictures of the wrapper and my cake... Later today I'll try it side by side with the sample I received earlier. The sample (50g) was shipped by DHT on April 1, the cake was shipped on April 23. (One of the reasons I liked DHT is that for some reason their packages reaches me very fast (two weeks from China to Norway, as opposed to the usual 5-6) and it's free of charge...) So there's a good chance that they're the same thing, and since I don't have a sample of the same tea from another vendor my comparison won't be able to tell whether or not what I have is the real thing... In any case, I'm hoping the cake and the sample are the same thing, fake or not, since I did like the sample a lot :D

Anyway, here's the pictures:

Closer look at the upper right:

Larger versions are available here

Jun 7th, '14, 06:57

by apache » Jun 7th, '14, 06:57

Here is pictures of one of my cakes:
1.jpg
1.jpg (84.27 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (89.45 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
If the cake edge is intact, which is rare after all the knocking around during shipment, it should look rather thin.

Jun 8th, '14, 20:27

by mr mopu » Jun 8th, '14, 20:27

The new Dayi "Wuyi Shan"has the same red line. This post is from the HKtea forum site.
http://www.hkteaforum.com/forum.php?mod ... a=page%3D2

Jun 10th, '14, 05:07

by tst » Jun 10th, '14, 05:07

quickstep,

You have yet to comment on how the tea tastes. Maybe you should compare it to tea that you KNOW is authentic '11 Jin Dayi first before you claim it is fake.

Hmmm ?

Jun 10th, '14, 06:07

by MarshalN » Jun 10th, '14, 06:07

Balthazar wrote:Chip, maybe it would be a good idea to split this thread and move the posts regarding DHT and 2011 Gold Dayi to a thread of its own?

Decided to take some pictures of the wrapper and my cake... Later today I'll try it side by side with the sample I received earlier. The sample (50g) was shipped by DHT on April 1, the cake was shipped on April 23. (One of the reasons I liked DHT is that for some reason their packages reaches me very fast (two weeks from China to Norway, as opposed to the usual 5-6) and it's free of charge...) So there's a good chance that they're the same thing, and since I don't have a sample of the same tea from another vendor my comparison won't be able to tell whether or not what I have is the real thing... In any case, I'm hoping the cake and the sample are the same thing, fake or not, since I did like the sample a lot :D

Anyway, here's the pictures:

Closer look at the upper right:

Larger versions are available here
Very unlike Dayi to produce a cake that looks like this physically. I'd call it fake. The security seal also looks off. A normal Dayi cake looks like apache's - tight, good control of the material (no mass of broken leaves in one corner) and well shaped. This one is none of those.

Jun 10th, '14, 06:14

by MarshalN » Jun 10th, '14, 06:14

Also notice how the neifei's colour is wrong - blue instead of purple. It's not even close.

Jun 10th, '14, 08:43

by AllanK » Jun 10th, '14, 08:43

MarshalN wrote:Also notice how the neifei's colour is wrong - blue instead of purple. It's not even close.
The color could be the monitor or the camera, what was the observed color of the neifei?

Jun 10th, '14, 09:58

by Balthazar » Jun 10th, '14, 09:58

I'll take another look when I get home, but I think the color on the images is quite accurate. I was careful with the white balance (hence the placing of white sheets under the cake).
Last edited by Balthazar on Jun 10th, '14, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 10th, '14, 10:28

by MarshalN » Jun 10th, '14, 10:28

AllanK wrote:
MarshalN wrote:Also notice how the neifei's colour is wrong - blue instead of purple. It's not even close.
The color could be the monitor or the camera, what was the observed color of the neifei?
That's just one among many problems with the cake anyway - even if the colour of the neifei is correct (which it probably isn't) it still looks very fake. Dayi just doesn't make cakes that look like this.

+ Post Reply