I'm new to pu'erh: What would you recommend?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 31st, '11, 19:34

Re: I'm new to pu'erh: What would you recommend?

by joman » Dec 31st, '11, 19:34

One thing though Koailo.
Might want to avoid tuos when you're first starting out if you can.
They can be hard as a rock! Literally.
It's a real lesson in frustration to have a table full of powder and pieces the first few times you take one apart. Pu has a little learning curve on taking apart the many many many shapes and sizes it comes in but it's an unending delight and terrible obsession. LOL
Pu-erh is full of surprises for all the senses.
Best Wishes and Happy New Year and have fun!

Dec 31st, '11, 22:53

by BioHorn » Dec 31st, '11, 22:53

To get an idea of what good pu can be like when aged I would recommend 10 grams of EoT's 1993 7542 http://www.essenceoftea.co.uk/tea/puerh ... -7542.html
or Mandarin's Tea Room 1985 loose 8582

http://www.themandarinstearoom.com/1985 ... h_p_1.html

Jan 1st, '12, 02:07

by FlyedPiper » Jan 1st, '12, 02:07

Shu's are worth a try if you really like puerh. I can't tolerate them except for the really old ones. They give me indigestion.

Puerh is a touch and go deal at best. It's good to go on the recommendations of a pu-head on the forum. Hang out on the IM box and ask for recs. I prefer sheng puerhs, and for the old stuff you have to be especially careful as to what storage method was used and such, especially since "ripe" sheng can go for crazy high prices.

Good luck! I think young shengs and experimenting with shu's is a good place to start.

Jan 1st, '12, 14:40

by greentam » Jan 1st, '12, 14:40

I was also thinking of trying pu'erh in the new year. I just picked up a toucha from a local store. I'm still pretty confused as to year/who made it but I'm sure I'll figure it out!
*edit* I found out that it is Xiaguan who made it. I'm starting to think that it's the same as this:
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=603

I was wondering if anyone on this thread would suggest the Bana tea samplers for pu'erh beginners?

Jan 1st, '12, 23:30

by Koailo » Jan 1st, '12, 23:30

joman wrote:One thing though Koailo.
Might want to avoid tuos when you're first starting out if you can.
They can be hard as a rock! Literally.
It's a real lesson in frustration to have a table full of powder and pieces the first few times you take one apart. Pu has a little learning curve on taking apart the many many many shapes and sizes it comes in but it's an unending delight and terrible obsession. LOL
Pu-erh is full of surprises for all the senses.
Best Wishes and Happy New Year and have fun!
Thanks for the advice, happy new year!

Jan 19th, '12, 02:11

by margo » Jan 19th, '12, 02:11

Hi! I'm a newbie to pu-erh tea too. As I understand, the most reputable sheng producers are Xiaguan and Mengku. Having read different reviews of Mengku shengs, I'm a bit lost as they are kind of controversial. Could you pls suggest good quality Mengku sheng to star with w/o astringency, bitterness, with soft texture and fruity notes?

Jan 22nd, '12, 07:36
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » Jan 22nd, '12, 07:36

You might mean Menghai, specificly Dayi, rather than mengku. Dayi is the 800 pound gorilla of the puerh world. Not that mengku is bad, but Dayi tea is a standard. Recipes like 7542 are legendary.

Sometimes, things like astringency or bitterness can be brewed out, though they are hallmarks of young puerh.

In terms of tea recomendations, I have none. I tend to drink shu or old sheng.

What I would recommend is really playing with the brewing. Use cooler water, and throw out a few first steeps, then short steeps after that. ( A few seconds)

Jan 23rd, '12, 04:59

by margo » Jan 23rd, '12, 04:59

TomVerlain wrote:You might mean Menghai, specificly Dayi, rather than mengku. Dayi is the 800 pound gorilla of the puerh world. Not that mengku is bad, but Dayi tea is a standard. Recipes like 7542 are legendary
Thank you for your reply. I ment Mengku factory, I'm aware of the fact that DaYi is the most reputable pu-erh producer in China, but they are mostly famous for their shu pu-ers and not so strong at shengs.
Many young shengs have astringent and bitter taste and it can not always be skipped by brewing. In the question above I ment a kind of sheng that is ready for immediate consumption, though it might be a bit bitter.

Jan 23rd, '12, 07:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jan 23rd, '12, 07:04

If it's Mengku then, I recently tried the 2007 Mu Ye Chun 002 and vaguely recall it being close to what you're looking for.

You can find it here at jas-etea or here at yunnan sourcing.

Jan 23rd, '12, 15:14

by margo » Jan 23rd, '12, 15:14

Thanks a lot for recommendation :)

Jan 23rd, '12, 16:43

by gasninja » Jan 23rd, '12, 16:43

I would recomend http://www.jas-etea.com/products/-2008- ... -250g.html
08 FT Bao yan Mushroom great taste and value. Just don't hurt yourself trying to break it up.

Also I think it is important to just buy a bunch of samples of different stuff untill you figure out what you like instead of just going out and buying whole cakes. It will save you from having a a bunch of tea you don't like.

Jan 23rd, '12, 21:59

by bagua7 » Jan 23rd, '12, 21:59

Jan 24th, '12, 02:48

by margo » Jan 24th, '12, 02:48

Thank you for sharing your experience :)
Gasninja,
Good idea, I'd probably buy a few pu-erh samples as well.

Jan 26th, '12, 22:41

by chrl42 » Jan 26th, '12, 22:41

Dayi cooked Pu for my vote..I didn't see many who try to like Puerh, and who didn't like Dayi or Menghai cooked ones..

+ Post Reply