My First Bing - How Do I Start?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 19th, '12, 19:28

My First Bing - How Do I Start?

by JRS22 » Jan 19th, '12, 19:28

I just ordered a full bing of 2001 Jin Chang Hao Yiwu from EOT. Here's what's I think is the way to start out but please let me know if there's a better way. I unwrap the bing and admire it. Then I gently pry off a chunk for brewing over the next month or so. Rewrap the bing in its wrapping paper, then in something that breathes, like a paper grocery bag. Store the bing out of the kitchen, away from light and odors. Brew the tea. Enjoy.

My sample was large enough for two sessions. My notes about the first session, which was two months ago, don't name the teapot. I enjoyed the tea, but wasn't planning on buying more. I used my Red Blossom Yixing for the second session and this time the tea was a pleasure to drink through 6 infusions yesterday and 6 more today. I stopped at 6 this afternoon only because I was developing a caffeine headache!

Jan 21st, '12, 03:21

Re: My First Bing - How Do I Start?

by Acaelus » Jan 21st, '12, 03:21

If it tastes better in your Yixing, then the cake isn't really great imo, especially if you compare it side by side to a Gaiwan.

Jan 21st, '12, 13:19
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Jan 21st, '12, 13:19

Acaelus wrote:If it tastes better in your Yixing, then the cake isn't really great imo, especially if you compare it side by side to a Gaiwan.
This might true sometimes, but it is a pretty bad generalization.

To the OP, Letting this type of tea breath for long term storage is a myth. There is a difference between ocassional air exchange and outright open storage. If you think the brew improves by airing out the tea, do it one serving at a time.

Tell us about your brewing parameters?

Jan 21st, '12, 16:15

by JRS22 » Jan 21st, '12, 16:15

I brewed the sample with boiling water with a flash rinse and then the following times. Day 1: 10s, 20s, 40s, 1m, 1m30s, 2m. Day 2: 3m, 4m, 6m, 8m, 10m, 12m. I used 3g in a 4 ounce pot because that's all that remained of the sample. I might use more when I have it, especially when I'm sharing.

As for storage, I thought that something breathable like paper was desirable for Puerh, as compared to the airtight containers I use for green tea. Do you have any recommendations for other storage containers?

Jan 22nd, '12, 06:43

by apolon » Jan 22nd, '12, 06:43

Acaelus wrote:If it tastes better in your Yixing, then the cake isn't really great imo, especially if you compare it side by side to a Gaiwan.
My tea always tastes better in my Yixing, that's the whole point of using one :P

Jan 22nd, '12, 09:01

by JRS22 » Jan 22nd, '12, 09:01

David from EOT answered my first question, about whether it's OK to just break off chunks around the edges of the bing, the answer being yes. It might sound like a silly question, but I was concerned that I'd have to move in from the center to get a mix of leaves.

Now to solve the storage question....

+ Post Reply