Aged Pu-erh of the Day, Week, or Month

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 5th, '13, 09:43

Re: Aged Pu-erh of the Day, Week, or Month

by gasninja » Feb 5th, '13, 09:43

Oh I think it will just start to be drinkable buy the time I'm 60 :wink:

Feb 22nd, '13, 19:44

by AdamMY » Feb 22nd, '13, 19:44

Friday Night Tea :D :D

1980s Wang Zhi loose Puerh from Essence of Tea.

Feb 24th, '13, 18:06

by gasninja » Feb 24th, '13, 18:06

98 500 gram Taiwanese Yi Wu Brick. Yummy I think this is much better than the 03 version. It is thicker, with a better aftertaste ,qi , and much better durability than the 03. Which started to give out after five infusions. The only plus for the 03 would be in its stronger initial flavor . But that could easily be the result of me not properly resting the tea after shipping.

Feb 25th, '13, 02:39

by Teaism » Feb 25th, '13, 02:39

Down to the last piece but still have to drink it...a very nice dry storage Mengku 1998 Sheng Pu...flavourful, lengthy, sweet and super smooth. :wink:
Attachments
Mangku 1998 2.jpg
Mangku 1998 2.jpg (82.89 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
Mangku 1998.jpg
Mangku 1998.jpg (78.66 KiB) Viewed 3176 times

Feb 25th, '13, 04:09

by HifideliTea » Feb 25th, '13, 04:09

The "taste factory" shelf life for this tea may have expired. Totally no flavour and taste. On the third infusion and longer steep times, dark liquid, but only little hint of oldness.

Despite it's blandness, are there any tangible properties drinking it, ie medicinal?
I'll try with more tea leaves in the next session.

Nevertheless, what recommendations do you have with these type of tea cakes? Into the trash bin? Blending? Airing?

Thank you.
blah.jpg
Gift
blah.jpg (29.87 KiB) Viewed 3164 times
leaves.jpg
Leaves
leaves.jpg (29.73 KiB) Viewed 3164 times
liquid.jpg
Dark liquid
liquid.jpg (9.37 KiB) Viewed 3164 times

Feb 25th, '13, 07:14

by HifideliTea » Feb 25th, '13, 07:14

Very odd. Took this back home, poured hot boiling water and it tasted very much better, very good huigan and high chi.
(water in office is not boiling but at a high temperature). One lesson - every tea has a different property and it's a trial and error thing.
HifideliTea wrote:The "taste factory" shelf life for this tea may have expired. Totally no flavour and taste. On the third infusion and longer steep times, dark liquid, but only little hint of oldness.

Despite it's blandness, are there any tangible properties drinking it, ie medicinal?
I'll try with more tea leaves in the next session.

Nevertheless, what recommendations do you have with these type of tea cakes? Into the trash bin? Blending? Airing?

Thank you.
blah.jpg
leaves.jpg
liquid.jpg

Feb 25th, '13, 07:53
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Feb 25th, '13, 07:53

HifideliTea wrote:Very odd. Took this back home, poured hot boiling water and it tasted very much better, very good huigan and high chi.
(water in office is not boiling but at a high temperature). One lesson - every tea has a different property and it's a trial and error thing.
Did you have anything to eat beforehand? The problem may have been your taste buds.

Your office water may also have different mineral content that can also affect how you taste the tea (although I would suspect you'd have that problem with many teas at work, then).

Feb 25th, '13, 08:35

by Teaism » Feb 25th, '13, 08:35

This might be a "simulation" of Menghai Wild Arbor Bing inspired by the 1999 piece with quite a lot of difference in the wrapping paper and the tea quality/color. From the tea color, if there is no photographic misrepresentation,it looks too dark to be the age of sheng Pu that it intend to be. Can't really tell unless can see and taste it.

If you ask around, many tea wise men/ladies here would probably ask you to explore it carefully if you intend to keep this tea. It is interesting tea to come across for the experience of it.

Have a good day! Cheers!

Feb 26th, '13, 03:25

by HifideliTea » Feb 26th, '13, 03:25

Drax wrote:Did you have anything to eat beforehand? The problem may have been your taste buds.

Your office water may also have different mineral content that can also affect how you taste the tea (although I would suspect you'd have that problem with many teas at work, then).
Teaism wrote:This might be a "simulation" of Menghai Wild Arbor Bing inspired by the 1999 piece with quite a lot of difference in the wrapping paper and the tea quality/color. From the tea color, if there is no photographic misrepresentation,it looks too dark to be the age of sheng Pu that it intend to be. Can't really tell unless can see and taste it.

If you ask around, many tea wise men/ladies here would probably ask you to explore it carefully if you intend to keep this tea. It is interesting tea to come across for the experience of it.

Have a good day! Cheers!
Thank you Drax and Teaism.

Hi Drax, there are 2 possibilities - the water was not boiling hot when I rinsed it at home for drinking at the office after lunch; and I had garlicky chillies as condiments in my lunch. The water in the office is filtered.

Hi Teaism, the tea is a gift purchased from a reputable supplier, it is a 90's ripe (not a sheng) tea and fairly inexpensive. In fact there is not much in the taste department but the huigan was overpowering. The throat was coated with layers of something resembling liquorice and stayed in there for hours.
cake.jpg
The cake
cake.jpg (24.93 KiB) Viewed 3133 times

Mar 12th, '13, 19:19

by AdamMY » Mar 12th, '13, 19:19

Eager to test out the pairing of Aged Puerh with the new Yixing. So I couldn't resist and decided to make it tonight. So I am already quite a few infusions into some more 80's Wang Zi and it is pairing nicely with this new little pot.

90ml Zini Shui Ping by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

Mar 16th, '13, 16:47

by AdamMY » Mar 16th, '13, 16:47

Surely I can't be the only one drinking Aged puerh.

This one is another 80s loose leaf, this being 80s Wild Tree Loose Puerh from Origin Tea.

80s Wild Arbor Loose Sheng by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

First infusion has a wonderful aroma, a lot of woody and mushroom tones, though not in a swampy over powering way. Think more like a walk through a somewhat dense woods right after a few days of heavy rain during the summer. Taste is quite smooth and nice, with a subtle but effective touch of what I believe is camphor.

Second infusion brings an even better aroma with more apparent camphor, and a similar taste. This is a nice tea.

Mar 16th, '13, 20:06

by futurebird » Mar 16th, '13, 20:06

I'm drinking 90s small yellow label from EoT tonight. More to come ^-^

Mar 17th, '13, 01:46

Re: Aged Pu-erh of the Day, Week, rt or Month

by gasninja » Mar 17th, '13, 01:46

Day three of a 80's Sun Yi Shun liu . In my new 85 ml Huang long shan zisha pot.This tea had a very active qi. kinda funky to start with but around the seventh infusion became very good. I think I am some where around infusion 30.

Mar 18th, '13, 19:03

by AdamMY » Mar 18th, '13, 19:03

70s Loose leaf Sheng Puerh from Origin tea.

Spout clogged on the first infusion so I am getting an amplified effect from this first brew. Nice and mellow, interesting tree bark appeal to it. I can get used to this very mellow appeal of aged puerh on a regular basis. I am almost regretting giving it another try, this is going to be bad for my account balances.

Sadly bad weather and horrible lighting for photos right now, but really nothing has changed from the last set up, except the tea inside the teapot.

Mar 24th, '13, 09:58

by gasninja » Mar 24th, '13, 09:58

Traditional storage 1997 Menghai 7582. This tea is a treat but it is not really
a the best time to drink it. There is still bit of of bitterness left in the tea from its youth and still a little mustiness left over from storage. Other than that this tea is really nice. A little bit granny face powder shows up. The cha qi is pretty strong leaving me tea drunk after a couple infusions.

+ Post Reply