Mid-Term Puerh Storage

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 31st, '12, 23:29

Mid-Term Puerh Storage

by needaTEAcher » Jan 31st, '12, 23:29

I need help! I just bought a bunch of puerh in Seoul, and I am sending it home to store for about two years, at which point I will return and claim it! I am sending three boxes, one with shou, one with sheng, and one with blends. The ages range from 1 year to 32 years (there is a LOT of tea!).

My intention here is to have some tea for everyday-ish use when I return (2 kilos of good but lower grade) and then the rest (another 2 kilos or so) to age and store and drink on special occasions through the years, some of which I hope to store for a good 20 or 30 years and have much, much later.

I am sending it a family member, who can store it in one of two places: the basement, or his wine box. The basement I can assume will be in the mid to high 70s year round, with humidity ranging between 50% and 90% (that is what the outside humidity is...I have no clue about the inside!).

I am waiting to hear back from my uncle about the exact temp and humidity of the wine box, but from my research it looks like I can expect mid 50s to mid 60s temp, with lower humidity.

So I figure, I can leave the pu in the basement for some slight aging, since the temp is lowish and the humidity is varied, but then I have a pretty big loss of control and who knows what will happen! Or I can leave it in the wine box, which, from what I understand, will mean that it will just not really age. What would y'all recommend? I'm in it for the long haul with these teas, and I will be adding to them throughout the next two years.

Thanks! :D

Feb 1st, '12, 03:24

Re: Mid-Term Puerh Storage

by needaTEAcher » Feb 1st, '12, 03:24

wine box: 53-57 degrees, 50-70% humidity
inside the house: 50-80 degrees (seasonal), 50-90% humidity (this is in Moraga, California, near San Francisco)

Thanks for the tips!

Feb 1st, '12, 09:16

Re: Mid-Term Puerh Storage

by gasninja » Feb 1st, '12, 09:16

If you want the tea to age and these are the only two options assuming the basement is odorous free I would personally choose the basmlement. But I have next to no experience myself.

+ Post Reply