The progress of my 2009 EoT NanNuo Plantation Cakes

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 17th, '12, 15:17

The progress of my 2009 EoT NanNuo Plantation Cakes

by apache » Jun 17th, '12, 15:17

2009 EoT (aka Nada Cha) Nan Nuo Plantation Cake

This is my first sheng puerh cake when I first started drinking pu. It has been in my house since summer 2009.It would be nice if someone on this forum who got this cake also show their pictures of this cakes as well to compare notes of it's progress.

Front of the cake

Back of the cake

Rinsed it twice and this is 3rd and 4th steeps

5th and 6th steeps

spent leaves

I think it settles nicely and started to develop more depth, even it still has plenty of youthful bitterness. It has a nice texture and at the least, it is not becoming flat.

Brewing parameters:
6.6 g of leaves in Dayi Gaiwan (~120 ml)
Boiling water, 10 to 15 sec for the first 6 steeps.

Storage conditions:
On an open shelve inside cardboard boxes.
These are very rough figures:
Nov to Feb: 16 to 18 C, RH 55 to 65%
Mar to Oct: 20 to 22 C, RH 65 to 75 %

Jun 25th, '12, 02:48
Vendor Member

Re: The progress of my 2009 EoT NanNuo Plantation Cakes

by TwoDog2 » Jun 25th, '12, 02:48

Any chance you had a "when purchased" photo of the cake itself? Or a current pic of the cake? Are you a big drinker or nan nuo, or just happened to purchase this cake when you started with pu?

The wrapper is really attractive. I like the scenic view.

Jun 25th, '12, 10:36

by apache » Jun 25th, '12, 10:36

TwoDog2 wrote:Any chance you had a "when purchased" photo of the cake itself? Or a current pic of the cake? Are you a big drinker or nan nuo, or just happened to purchase this cake when you started with pu?

The wrapper is really attractive. I like the scenic view.
Unfortunately, the answer is no, but I have pics of YS 2009 GFZ where it was new, and I might take some pics over the weekend and post it 'ere.
I'm not a big fan of Nannuo, but it was the only cake left when I bought my first raw cake. I missed the legendary 2009 bulang. That was the good old day when a good cake costs much less than £30.

The soup of the NanNuo was very pale when it was new.

Jun 26th, '12, 00:17
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Jun 26th, '12, 00:17

apache wrote: The soup of the NanNuo was very pale when it was new.
If it is that uninteresting, it's likely that this just isn't an outstanding example of Nannuo then. I have a few tongs of various nannuos between 2007 and 2011, and even the "worst" of them are not pale or unmemorable. Most are very fragrant and floral, some are quite sweet. The younger ones tend to be a bit astringent and have a slight kuwei.

I wouldn't give up on Nannuo altogether, but then again, I am a fan. If bulang is more your thing, then maybe toss that cake back in the cupboard and buy some teas with more punch.

Jun 26th, '12, 04:47

by apache » Jun 26th, '12, 04:47

Oops! I should have made myself more clearly. When I said the soup was pale, I mean pale yellow colour. It was by no mean tasted bland or flat. It was my first sheng and that was before I knew what area cakes I like best. Some people like floral taste, but for me the texture, feel and finish are much more important.

+ Post Reply