Water for Tea

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 18th, '12, 18:21

Water for Tea

by zzenster » Jul 18th, '12, 18:21

I was wondering what kind of water that everyone uses. I know that it is one of the most important component in tea and wanted to know what kind of water/ brand produces the best result. My tea tastes different depending on where I make it (home and work). I use the filtered water at home which is not very good for young shengs and bottled water at work (which is just differenet type of filtered water) which produces different result.
Did anyone ever experiment with different brand/ type of water?

Jul 18th, '12, 21:24

Re: Water for Tea

by MarshalN » Jul 18th, '12, 21:24

It does depend on the tea. I find Volvic or Vittel to be good, but expensive, options. Where are you located?

Jul 18th, '12, 21:45

by Charlotte_J » Jul 18th, '12, 21:45

I am lucky to have a very nice filter in my home that leaves me with very neutral flavored water, so I have not had to use any bottled water for my tea

Jul 18th, '12, 23:32

by HifideliTea » Jul 18th, '12, 23:32

This subject was discussed last night during a drinking session at my sisters house in Kuala Lumpur. I noticed the water at her home is smoother, and found out that her house has 2 filtration system, one at source and another at the kitchen taps.
I am considering installing one at my home in Singapore. Whilst the country claims to have clean water, it is also "tender water" and I also suspect it to be heavily chlorinated.

http://www.veetea.com/site/articles/Water-for-Tea/

Jul 19th, '12, 00:31

by debunix » Jul 19th, '12, 00:31

At home, I use my city tap water filtered through a brita pitcher, to avoid as frequent descaling of the kettle. At work, straight tap water, because filtering is not as straightforward as keeping a pitcher next to the teaware.

Jul 19th, '12, 01:26

by MarshalN » Jul 19th, '12, 01:26

I find heavily filtered water to be rather bad for tea - they don't seem to perform well with the teas I like to drink, which tend to be heavier.

Jul 19th, '12, 03:20

by needaTEAcher » Jul 19th, '12, 03:20

Water is the mother of tea! I find that my teachers' always make better tea. One of the MANY reasons is that they have some super fancy, $1,500 filtration system that is supposed to be the industry standard.

I use whatever water I can find, and just view any results as informative! :lol: Bottled water works in a pinch (I have a prefered Korean brand), but is pricey. Ultimately, I vote in favor of filtered water, since it is a balance of what is ideal and what most people can reasonably have access to. Happy drinking!

Jul 19th, '12, 11:54

by zzenster » Jul 19th, '12, 11:54

I live in inland side of Northern California. I use filtered water at home and it's hard water. It seems to turn my young shengs a little dull and less frangnant.
Last edited by zzenster on Jul 30th, '12, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 19th, '12, 22:31

by Charlotte_J » Jul 19th, '12, 22:31

MarshalN wrote:I find heavily filtered water to be rather bad for tea - they don't seem to perform well with the teas I like to drink, which tend to be heavier.

That is interesting - what kinds of heavier teas? LBZ or nearby areas?? I guess I usually go "lighter" like Yiwu or Nannuo, so the filtered water might help!

What is the water like? High mineral contents??

Jul 20th, '12, 00:13

by bryan_drinks_tea » Jul 20th, '12, 00:13

Charlotte_J wrote:
MarshalN wrote:I find heavily filtered water to be rather bad for tea - they don't seem to perform well with the teas I like to drink, which tend to be heavier.

That is interesting - what kinds of heavier teas? LBZ or nearby areas?? I guess I usually go "lighter" like Yiwu or Nannuo, so the filtered water might help!

High mineral content can really alter the flavour of some teas, including heavier tasting and/or darker teas to a lesser degree than say, green tea. This is just one persons opinion, but keeping the TDS at a lower level...let's say around 75, can work with some teas(your mileage may vary!). I use that TDS level as a starter with new teas and then, though experience, can sometimes tell if i prefer water with a higher or lower TDS. Ultimately, the preference is up to you.

Good Luck,

Bryan

Jul 20th, '12, 03:56

by MarshalN » Jul 20th, '12, 03:56

Charlotte_J wrote:

Actually all young pu tend to be in the "heavier" category for me - you will bring out more depth if you use water with a higher mineral content, at least in my own experiments with water. Water with low mineral content will tend to draw out the higher, more fragrant notes, while water with heavier mineral content will give you deeper sensations in the mouth.

Jul 20th, '12, 23:17

by Tead Off » Jul 20th, '12, 23:17

MarshalN wrote:
Charlotte_J wrote:

Actually all young pu tend to be in the "heavier" category for me - you will bring out more depth if you use water with a higher mineral content, at least in my own experiments with water. Water with low mineral content will tend to draw out the higher, more fragrant notes, while water with heavier mineral content will give you deeper sensations in the mouth.
I have a similar experience but this also extends to Japanese greens. In fact all my green teas tend to do well in higher mineral/tds waters. Scale can be annoying but I can always clean the kettle.

Jul 21st, '12, 02:33

by bagua7 » Jul 21st, '12, 02:33

If you can, nothing beats this source of water:

http://www.patrickniddrie.com/wp-conten ... erfall.jpg

:wink:

Water running from a natural source (cave, springs, waterfall, etc.) improves the quality of the brew tenfold aside of being better for your kidney Qi.

Jul 22nd, '12, 11:42

by MarshalN » Jul 22nd, '12, 11:42

Ok ok, well, we don't have waterfalls in our neighbourhood, so are you going to ship me some of this water?

Jul 22nd, '12, 19:04

by needaTEAcher » Jul 22nd, '12, 19:04

I'll take some too!

Our waterfall just closed up for the season! :lol:

+ Post Reply