Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

Postby SFLouis » Aug 14th, '12, 22:24

Last week I asked around here looking to see if anyone knew where to look for puerh in Bangkok. Some people said to stop by Ong's tea & maybe try Chinatown, but I believe I may have happened upon a gem. There is a small tea shop in Silom, near Chong Nonsi station, that we happened upon yesterday and wound up drinking good ancient tree teas with the owner for like 3+ hours. The shop is called J.R.T., and the owner is Paula Chan. It was really very good. I bought a cake of 2009 Yongzhen hand-braided Lincang old tree tea, and I plan to go back before returning to the US. I highly recommend it if you haven't been. Photos forthcoming if you want them.

Louis
SFLouis
 
Posts: 24
Joined: May 14th, '

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

Postby TokyoB » Aug 14th, '12, 22:29

Photos would be great!
User avatar
TokyoB
 
Posts: 549
Joined: Nov 19th, '
Location: US (mid-Atlantic)

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

Postby theredbaron » Aug 15th, '12, 03:08

Very interesting! Thanks a lot.
I haven't been in that area in a long time. Photos would be very much appreciated. Looking from the river, is it before or past Chong Nonsi intersection, left or right?
theredbaron
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Aug 1st, '1
Location: Bangkok

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

Postby Tead Off » Aug 15th, '12, 08:23

SFLouis wrote:Last week I asked around here looking to see if anyone knew where to look for puerh in Bangkok. Some people said to stop by Ong's tea & maybe try Chinatown, but I believe I may have happened upon a gem. There is a small tea shop in Silom, near Chong Nonsi station, that we happened upon yesterday and wound up drinking good ancient tree teas with the owner for like 3+ hours. The shop is called J.R.T., and the owner is Paula Chan. It was really very good. I bought a cake of 2009 Yongzhen hand-braided Lincang old tree tea, and I plan to go back before returning to the US. I highly recommend it if you haven't been. Photos forthcoming if you want them.

Louis

About 6 months ago, I walked into the shop. No one was inside. I browsed the shelves and waited patiently for about 15 minutes, even calling out if there was someone around. No one showed up! I could have taken an arm full of the cakes and simply walked out. That's one of the things I love about BKK. Most people don't even lock their doors. :D
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3487
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

Postby Tead Off » Aug 15th, '12, 08:25

theredbaron wrote:Very interesting! Thanks a lot.
I haven't been in that area in a long time. Photos would be very much appreciated. Looking from the river, is it before or past Chong Nonsi intersection, left or right?

Get off on the Riverside of the station and walk back towards Silom. Very close to the last stairway of the BTS.
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3487
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

Postby theredbaron » Aug 15th, '12, 09:09

Tead Off wrote:Get off on the Riverside of the station and walk back towards Silom. Very close to the last stairway of the BTS.


Thanks a lot.
If i understand you right, the shop is on Narathiwat Road, close to Silom? I rarely go by BTS, i always ride my motorcycle.
theredbaron
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Aug 1st, '1
Location: Bangkok

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

Postby Tead Off » Aug 15th, '12, 10:54

theredbaron wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Get off on the Riverside of the station and walk back towards Silom. Very close to the last stairway of the BTS.


Thanks a lot.
If i understand you right, the shop is on Narathiwat Road, close to Silom? I rarely go by BTS, i always ride my motorcycle.


Yes, closer to Silom than Sathorn.
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3487
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

Postby theredbaron » Aug 15th, '12, 11:49

Tead Off wrote:
theredbaron wrote:
Yes, closer to Silom than Sathorn.


Excellent! Thanks a lot!
theredbaron
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Aug 1st, '1
Location: Bangkok

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

Postby theredbaron » Aug 17th, '12, 09:02

SFLouis wrote:, but I believe I may have happened upon a gem.

Louis


Yes, definitely a gem!
I had a lunch meeting in the area today, and went afterwards to the shop. It's a gallery for Chinese paintings, with one side of the wall for Pu Erh. Paula is at least as much a tea lover as a tea seller, is Chinese and lives in Thailand since 10 years. For non-Mandarin speakers, she speaks excellent Thai, and also English.
No big factory teas, just smaller factory, and mostly wild tree, old tree and ancient tree teas (and some cooked Pu Erh, with which i did not bother with). I spent about 2 hours drinking tea with her, and bought 2 cakes of 2008 hand-braided Lincang tea.

Thanks a lot for the tip! :D
theredbaron
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Aug 1st, '1
Location: Bangkok

Re: Hey Bangkok Puerh Folks

Postby JRS22 » Sep 5th, '12, 17:12

I was going to ask my son to stop off at this shop on his way home for a visit next month. Then I had visions of the friendly U.S. customs folks at Kennedy airport going through his luggage and finding a package of tightly packed dried leaves.... The chinese language label wouldn't help.
User avatar
JRS22
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Nov 7th, '0


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation