Thoughts from a new Hong Kong bo lei drinker

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 16th, '15, 08:08

Re: Thoughts from a new Hong Kong bo lei drinker

by HifideliTea » Apr 16th, '15, 08:08

These old tea merchants probably have the sources and buying power. Like your perception of FMT, I thought Wuyutai in Beijing was a ripoff, until I drank their teas.
Somehow, it seems to have storage power, ie the longer it is kept in storage, the better the tea gets, much like a good French wine.

Apr 16th, '15, 08:18

by Rui » Apr 16th, '15, 08:18

For the past few hours I have been reading this thread and WOW Jay you make me hungry and thirsty. :D

So far today I am on my 4th 500ml of either oolong or at the moment a ripe pu'er and the more I read from this thread the thirstier I get. :mrgreen:

Need to book another to HK sometime next year. I wish I had read this thread before I went last year. :roll:

Apr 17th, '15, 01:58
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 17th, '15, 01:58

HiFiTea, I definitely think it is buying power and longstanding relationships that get them the good stuff. I'll check out Wuyutai if I make it up to BJ!

Rui, glad you enjoyed it! I've been drinking oolongs with Iberico ham, half-boiled eggs and fresh kimchi, and then tomato beef stew and rice. I even had a HK iced lemon tea with lunch! Three teas and it's only 2 pm!

Apr 17th, '15, 06:16

by Rui » Apr 17th, '15, 06:16

jayinhk wrote:Rui, glad you enjoyed it! I've been drinking oolongs with Iberico ham, half-boiled eggs and fresh kimchi, and then tomato beef stew and rice. I even had a HK iced lemon tea with lunch! Three teas and it's only 2 pm!
Please stop :wink: , now I need to eat (again). LOL Iberico ham, not something I have eaten in HK but I have some of it at home so that will be for my supper.

Really I miss HK food although some of the restaurants in Chinatown are pretty good and not so westernised. One thing I miss every morning is Congee! I :( just cannot find it anywhere in London.

As to tea I am coming to the end of my third tea (1/2 litre of water each drunk Gong Fu style) and it is only 11:15! :shock: 1 Litre of Sencha and 1/2 litre of TGY. Shocking as I am now wondering what to drink with my lunch... decisions, decisions. :? Since this is the pu'er thread, it will have to be some form of pu'er.

If we do not chat again, have a great weekend.

Rui

Apr 17th, '15, 08:30
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 17th, '15, 08:30

You too! I haven't had any pu erh today, but I'll be picking some up for someone tomorrow or Monday, so there's definitely some ahead.

Ended up drinking six teas today...was about to fill the kettle to squeeze more out of the TLH in the Yixing on my tea table, but I think I've had enough tea today!

I had TLH and an unknown green oolong from across the street. Fujian tea that recovered well with air and is actually much better than I thought it would be when I first tried it.

I also had Vietnamese food for dinner...along with some bog standard tea that tasted pretty bad today...

Apr 19th, '15, 06:01
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 19th, '15, 06:01

Just bought 150g of the best grade of loose shu from a vendor I haven't tried before. Very small shop and I've long been curious about their tea. The guy tried speaking to me in English, and I responded in Cantonese and he damn near fell over. Lol. He gave me a discount on the tea AND gave me a little extra. :D

He only sells cooked pu erh and liu an--definitely a very local business. He had never encountered someone like me before. Didn't expect such a surprised reaction, but I guess I'm an anomaly, especially in a traditionally Cantonese neighborhood now full of new immigrants and asylum seekers! Going to brew some up now.

Good shu--very smooth, not too wet tasting, and sweet on the tongue. As expected, definitely for the older people in the neighborhood! Definitely everyday pu erh.

I forgot how good it feels to drink decent shu. So easy on the stomach and goes down so smooth.

Apr 20th, '15, 01:41

by kiwi303 » Apr 20th, '15, 01:41

I'm drinking a Shou now that came ex HK. Can't wait to try more :D

Apr 20th, '15, 05:41
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 20th, '15, 05:41

Drinking the shu/sheng blend from across the street now. Mixing aged shu and sheng together makes for nice drinking. A little bitter, smooth and sweet, with flavor you only get from sheng cha.

Apr 20th, '15, 07:31

by Rui » Apr 20th, '15, 07:31

Jay,

You are really tempting me to go back to pu'er with your messages.

Although I had a good 1/2 litre+ of tea from Bannacha I then decided to try What-Cha's Malawi Bvumbwe Peony White Tea which is very yummy.

By the way, have you ever been to Mee Heung Cheun shop in 12, Gilman's Bazaar? I have bought one of the company's cakes last year which is lying down at the moment.

Apr 20th, '15, 07:48
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 20th, '15, 07:48

Rui,

Wow, yes, that's a really nice tea shop. I buy tieguanyin and shui xian there. Expensive but good high roast. I didn't know they had their own cakes.

Apr 20th, '15, 08:20

by Rui » Apr 20th, '15, 08:20

jayinhk wrote:Rui,

Wow, yes, that's a really nice tea shop. I buy tieguanyin and shui xian there. Expensive but good high roast. I didn't know they had their own cakes.
Thanks for the tip on TGY and Shui Xian. Since I am a very big fan of TGY I'll pick up some when next I go to HK.

Yes they do have their own raw pu'er cakes and 2014 was a special year for them as it was their 25th anniversary I think so you might like to pick up one of them. It was not too expesive, at least compared to others I saw.

Apr 20th, '15, 17:32
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 20th, '15, 17:32

Thanks, I may just do that!

Off to Kowloon City today...going to try a tea store MarshalN recommended for high roast TGY.

EDIT: probably the best high roast TGY I've ever had. Really good tea.

Apr 24th, '15, 07:32

by Rui » Apr 24th, '15, 07:32

Still sipping TGY Jay? I am having withdrawal symptoms since you have not commented for a couple of days. :?
Last edited by Rui on Apr 24th, '15, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 24th, '15, 07:36
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 24th, '15, 07:36

I'm on sencha today actually. Had TGY from a Singapore store yesterday and it was horribly sour when compared to the good stuff. Going to drink something else now :)

Apr 24th, '15, 07:38

by Rui » Apr 24th, '15, 07:38

LOL that was a quick reply. I am also on Sencha today although this morning I had some TGY from Teavivre.

+ Post Reply