Thoughts from a new Hong Kong bo lei drinker

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 3rd, '15, 23:30

Re: Thoughts from a new Hong Kong bo lei drinker

by kiwi303 » Apr 3rd, '15, 23:30

Yep, probably that one, you step up from the pavement and place your order standing on a 2 foot step under the window. Rather so-so chips, but after several months in Chongqing with only Pizza (damn good pizza actually, go visit Nova Pasta in Wanda Plaza, Nan Ping, Nan'an district if you are ever there), McD's, Subway and KFC as "western" food, you can appreciate F&C :D that was the staple takeout of my childhood days.

Apr 4th, '15, 11:46

by puyuan » Apr 4th, '15, 11:46

kiwi303 wrote:Yep, probably that one, you step up from the pavement and place your order standing on a 2 foot step under the window. Rather so-so chips, but after several months in Chongqing with only Pizza (damn good pizza actually, go visit Nova Pasta in Wanda Plaza, Nan Ping, Nan'an district if you are ever there), McD's, Subway and KFC as "western" food, you can appreciate F&C :D that was the staple takeout of my childhood days.

I'm guessing Nova Pasta used to have a different name, and I used to go there. The pasta itself was very decent too.

And no CSC in your Chongqing diet? Come on. :mrgreen:

Apr 4th, '15, 17:39

by kiwi303 » Apr 4th, '15, 17:39

I don't have the card handy, But I think in full it was Nova Venezia Pizza and Pasta :D Everyone I know just called it Nova Pasta or Tinas :D
Run by a Chinese girl with an Italian boyfriend :D REAL Authentic Italian pizzas, not Chinese-ized ones or US/NYC pizzas :D Near Elevator 8 on the second level when I left CQ :D

I went to CSC a few times :D you'd be more likely to find me down the alley with the local night market hotpot stalls, or snacking on Lamian from one of the hole-in-the-wall shops. There was a good noodle shop just down food street from Jiefangbei cenotaph memorial clock tower.

I never got to like the taste/texture of tofu however. I'd usually get the beef :D

Apr 4th, '15, 18:37

by Azetab » Apr 4th, '15, 18:37

Hey guys, I'm about to visit HK in May. I'm wondering if you guys could give me a short list of places where I can pick up some puerh tea for a good deal in HK, with names or addresses? Thanks!

Apr 6th, '15, 11:11
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 6th, '15, 11:11

Cooked or raw? Aged or new? Cakes or loose? So many options. Pu is not my main thing now, but there is tons (literally) around here! MarshalN is definitely a better guy to ask though. I only buy drinking grade stuff locally.

Apr 8th, '15, 20:45
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 8th, '15, 20:45

Just read through this thread from start to finish...so many memories, and so much has changed in 2.5 years. I lost my dad, learned more about tea and even developed a taste for organ meats. I've acquired quite the collection of tattoos and I've started lifting weights again. I've grown as a person and I've been to places I didn't think I'd be going to. I also took a long hiatus from pu erh, but I've been drinking it again, and all of my pu erh has improved dramatically.

Just bought a Royal Selangor pewter tea caddy for an excellent price...the eBay seller probably isn't too happy. Looks to be in great shape, and less than 1/4 of retail. I also got an older Benjarong gongfu cha set...beautiful and looks to be older. I didn't see any smaller Chinese-style teapots in Benjarong in Bangkok, so I'm pretty happy, and the price was right.

Apr 8th, '15, 22:31

by BioHorn » Apr 8th, '15, 22:31

jayinhk wrote:Just read through this thread from start to finish...so many memories, and so much has changed in 2.5 years. I lost my dad, learned more about tea and even developed a taste for organ meats. I've acquired quite the collection of tattoos and I've started lifting weights again. I've grown as a person and I've been to places I didn't think I'd be going to. I also took a long hiatus from pu erh, but I've been drinking it again, and all of my pu erh has improved dramatically.

Just bought a Royal Selangor pewter tea caddy for an excellent price...the eBay seller probably isn't too happy. Looks to be in great shape, and less than 1/4 of retail. I also got an older Benjarong gongfu cha set...beautiful and looks to be older. I didn't see any smaller Chinese-style teapots in Benjarong in Bangkok, so I'm pretty happy, and the price was right.
It is great to see you back on this thread! It was quite nice of you to let us live vicarously through your experiences.

You have my condolences about your dad. I am so sorry to hear the news.

What sort of tea has been drawing you away from puerh?

Apr 8th, '15, 23:21
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 8th, '15, 23:21

Thanks BH.

I've been posting on here all along, but on different threads rather than just this one. I'd say it's primarily oolong that drew me away from pu erh, but they really are very, very different. Drinking good aged sheng today and it really is much smoother drinking (both in the throat and in the body and mind) and has a totally different energy.

EDIT: My Benjarong set came in today. Far nicer than I could have imagined. The seller has two large ceramic sugar containers I believe were used as tea caddies with this set, since they share the same pattern. I'm tempted...

Apr 14th, '15, 12:48

by hop_goblin » Apr 14th, '15, 12:48

very entertaining thread

Apr 14th, '15, 20:07

by shah82 » Apr 14th, '15, 20:07

I'll tell you what would be entertaining.

Restart your blog, do a retaste series.

Apr 14th, '15, 21:29
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 14th, '15, 21:29

Thanks hop_goblin!

I was recently sent a bunch of fu zhuan samples by a vendor in Xian. Well aged stuff, and very smooth drinking. I think I'll try some today!

Apr 14th, '15, 21:58

by Azetab » Apr 14th, '15, 21:58

jayinhk wrote:Cooked or raw? Aged or new? Cakes or loose? So many options. Pu is not my main thing now, but there is tons (literally) around here! MarshalN is definitely a better guy to ask though. I only buy drinking grade stuff locally.
I wanted to get some cooked aged puerh cakes. If you could point me to a neighborhood or a reliable merchant in Hong Kong, that'll be great.

Apr 14th, '15, 22:14
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 14th, '15, 22:14

I actually like Ying Kee's cooked pu erh, but it's loose. I believe they do cooked cakes too, or pieces of older cooked cakes. Alternatively walk around Sheung Wan...lots of very old tea businesses around, and everyone has cooked pu erh, since that's what the locals drink.

http://www.yingkeetea.com/eshop/product ... en&catid=4

Please note HK pu erh for the locals tends to be very musty tasting. The Ying Kee stuff tends to be ready to drink and needs less airing out (IMO).

Ying Kee was the first Chinese tea shop I was aware of, and the store mom and dad used most often, mainly out of convenience. I'm drinking some loose shu dad had at his apartment in Austria now...mom stored it in an airtight container and it got a little funky. I've been airing it out for two years! Ying Kee's Supreme Pu Erh.

Apr 16th, '15, 01:37

by HifideliTea » Apr 16th, '15, 01:37

Ying Kee had a 130 year Anniversary Raw blend, a 5kg bing selling at about HK$3.5K. Never tried that.

Lam Kie Yuen Hong Kong also had some raw cakes and Fook Ming Tong's teas are pretty pricey and comes in good packaging.

Talking about teashops that sells their own brand products, Wuyutai in Beijing actually sells very good loose teas, they have been around since 1887, so they are masters in their trade. Pricey, but excellent quality, especially the imperial gong tings.

Apr 16th, '15, 04:52
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 16th, '15, 04:52

FMT is expensive...I thought they were a total ripoff until I bought a bag of their Anxi super oolong on impulse at the airport one day. Really good stuff, and it's their cheapest oolong offering! I'll definitely try more of their tea in future.

+ Post Reply