Taobao review thread?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 23rd, '12, 13:12

Re: Taobao review thread?

by apache » Sep 23rd, '12, 13:12

I bought a tuo from the same vendor.
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... start=1455
and it seems legit from Dayi but this tuo is off the list now.

I find it strange, when I bought one it still had well over 60 tuos left and it can''t sell that quickly.

Sep 24th, '12, 08:31
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 24th, '12, 08:31

Thanks apache, sounds like I'll get some at least acceptable tea for my money. I think you have me convinced to pick up one of the Dayi Golds.

As for the seller no longer having any cakes, many sellers on Taobao have listings up for items they don't even have anymore. It just gets buyers talking to them, and the number 'left' very often is not representative at all of the actual amount the seller has access to. I talk to every seller I buy something from before I make a purchase nowadays just to make sure everything is on the level, and also to see if I can use my preferred courier.

Sep 24th, '12, 08:42

by apache » Sep 24th, '12, 08:42

Jayinhk, do you mean 2011 Dayi Gold?

Let me know what do you think.

Sep 24th, '12, 09:54

by MarshalN » Sep 24th, '12, 09:54

Sometimes these guys have physical stores and they sell out because someone IRL bought the whole lot.

Sep 24th, '12, 11:50
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 24th, '12, 11:50

apache wrote:Jayinhk, do you mean 2011 Dayi Gold?

Let me know what do you think.
Yes, you seem to think it's a good cake. Thanks, I will let you know what I think when I pick one up!

Sep 24th, '12, 18:29

by Maxwell2079 » Sep 24th, '12, 18:29

Thanks for the help guys.
Good point Marshaln, Dayi is probably the brand to be faked!

A list of good sellers sounds like a mine of gold Jay :D. I am about to place some orders from Taobao. And I already have one of the cakes (from Douji) I am planning to buy ( and is suppose to be original) so I can compare it with the ones from taobao. I will let you know if it ended up ok and give you the seller. However, the cake is already overpriced ,I guess, "2006 Shengtai gushu". If only I could get a tea of similar quality and not so pricey...

Sep 24th, '12, 19:26

by apache » Sep 24th, '12, 19:26

I like to add this vendor seems o.k. with any newer (after 2006) Dayi teas.
http://cuilongchaye.taobao.com/.
They may not be the lowest in price, but at least very likely you get the real thing and I order most of my recent Dayi stuffs with them.

Ordering older stuff is another games.

Sep 24th, '12, 21:57
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 24th, '12, 21:57

Thanks guys:

apache, you buy a lot of cakes and know your stuff, so your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Maxwell, the proof is always in the pot. :D

Marshal: yup, that's also an issue I thought of but forgot to include in my post. Many of the sellers are retail stores or even based right in wholesale markets. The first cake I bought (which fortunately could not be sent through EMS due to my address formatting) was from a dealer right in the tea market in Kunming.

Ultimate Warrior shipped my cakes by my requested courier, SF, which is fast--they shipped on the 24th and they should arrive on the 26th.

Sep 25th, '12, 02:45
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Sep 25th, '12, 02:45

Jayinhk, this is for you - you wanted a young sheng cake off taobao, right? Hopefully you will settle for a brick. I have talked to this seller before and they have gotten some tea from them before. They have been very good about service:

This 2011 Baichantang brick (357g) (in case it doesn't come up, the brick is called "艾砖五代青砖") was quite enjoyable and reasonably priced at around 150 RMB. There are also some places selling it for 10-20 RMB less, if you want to save a dollar or too, but i have had a good experience with this shop. Again, not sure we have similar tastes, but i liked this tea, solid smooth kuwei, dense, good staying power. Also, ordering a tea like this mitigates your fear about fakes because nobody is faking brand new baichatang bricks. If you order something like Dayi or Zhongcha, fakes are significantly more likely.

Anyway, the service from that vendor has been good, but I have only ordered their Baichatang teas. I have no idea about their menghai factory and other offerings.

Sep 25th, '12, 03:16
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 25th, '12, 03:16

Thank you Twodogs, checking it out now: may have to hold off on anymore tea purchases until mid-October, but I really appreciate the recommendation and the info!

Sep 25th, '12, 05:00

by apache » Sep 25th, '12, 05:00

Baichatang, I had two cakes from them.
The 1st generation Iron Cake 2004. I only tried it a couple of times quite a while ago, if I remember correctly, it tastes rather powdery and some people more than me would like this kind of taste profile.

The 6th generation green cake 2006. I find it rather harsh and I passed it to Hobbes and he rather likes it. http://half-dipper.blogspot.co.uk/2011/ ... -6137.html

Sep 25th, '12, 08:02
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 25th, '12, 08:02

Views from both sides...what to do, what to think :cry:

Sep 25th, '12, 08:16

by apache » Sep 25th, '12, 08:16

jayinhk wrote:Views from both sides...what to do, what to think :cry:
I don't mean their teas are bad or inferior, it's just not my personal preference. We all have our own opinions and not always can reach consensus unless it is outrageously good or bad.

I think taste is for one to discover.

Sep 25th, '12, 10:35
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 25th, '12, 10:35

apache wrote:
jayinhk wrote:Views from both sides...what to do, what to think :cry:
I don't mean their teas are bad or inferior, it's just not my personal preference. We all have our own opinions and not always can reach consensus unless it is outrageously good or bad.

I think taste is for one to discover.
I agree, we all like different things. I was just kidding. :)

Sep 25th, '12, 21:58
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Sep 25th, '12, 21:58

jayinhk wrote: I agree, we all like different things. I was just kidding. :)

This really is the reason that sampling teas for yourself is the best way to find out. I might like a tea and you might think it is garbage.

Some of these taobao vendors (the one I mentioned, for example) would be perfectly fine with sending you samples if you send them some money or make a purchase to compensate.

If you speak Mandarin (or have a friend who can help you), just message a taobao vendor you want to buy from and say, "I am interested in buying a cake of XXX, would you mind sending me some 10g samples of Y and Z?" Some people won't, but some will. That will expedite your education a bit.

Alternatively, you could message a vendor and say "I will pay you 100 RMB to send me a sample of everything you have!" and see who agrees.

+ Post Reply