Standalone, Affordable Puerh Storage?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 2nd, '12, 00:55

Re: Standalone, Affordable Puerh Storage?

by JakubT » Oct 2nd, '12, 00:55

I'm a cardbord box man myself and I'm quite happy about it - the tea breathes reasonably and does not catch any nasty smell. I think that once there is a certain quantity (30-40 cakes?), one does not have to care that much about some tiny smells - the tea makes its own microclima and is happy.

Oct 2nd, '12, 08:22

by Cole » Oct 2nd, '12, 08:22

I'm a little cdd confused -- how would one introduce water into a cardboard box setup without causing the cardboard to rot/mold? I'll see if I can find Cloud's tips on cardboard storage.

I'm right around the same area, TST, so I'll have to send you a PM if you've already got our region all figured out :)

Oct 2nd, '12, 08:54

by theredbaron » Oct 2nd, '12, 08:54

Cole wrote:I'm a little cdd confused -- how would one introduce water into a cardboard box setup without causing the cardboard to rot/mold? I'll see if I can find Cloud's tips on cardboard storage.

I'm right around the same area, TST, so I'll have to send you a PM if you've already got our region all figured out :)
Storage depends on the climate you live in.
In Hong Kong one does not need to add any humidity for dry storage - it's humid enough.
Here in Bangkok it is so humid that i would not store my tea in cardboard boxes because i would fear that it becomes too stuffy. I need more airflow.

I would also be very careful with added humidity in more dry climates, too much humidity and not enough airflow could ruin your tea.

Oct 2nd, '12, 09:05

by MarshalN » Oct 2nd, '12, 09:05

Adding humidity is a dangerous game. I'd not recommend it other than, at most, adding a bowl of water in a non-airtight environment (say, a cupboard). Anything more and you run the risk of screwing things up

Oct 2nd, '12, 10:58

by Tead Off » Oct 2nd, '12, 10:58

theredbaron wrote: Here in Bangkok it is so humid that i would not store my tea in cardboard boxes because i would fear that it becomes too stuffy. I need more airflow.
I've had cakes in cardboard boxes here for years kept in my storage room without A/C. No problem. Each cake growing better tasting every year. Not one has developed a funky smell or taste.

Oct 2nd, '12, 11:18

by Cole » Oct 2nd, '12, 11:18

MarshalN wrote:Adding humidity is a dangerous game. I'd not recommend it other than, at most, adding a bowl of water in a non-airtight environment (say, a cupboard). Anything more and you run the risk of screwing things up
Thank you very much, Marshall. I'll probably leave water out of the equation until I can do it properly in a more controlled environment. I like the taste of my cakes now ; I'm just worried about them "dying" in my dry, air conditioned house if I don't do anything.

A huge thank you to everyone!

Oct 2nd, '12, 15:00
Vendor Member

by TIM » Oct 2nd, '12, 15:00

theredbaron wrote:
Cole wrote:I'm a little cdd confused -- how would one introduce water into a cardboard box setup without causing the cardboard to rot/mold? I'll see if I can find Cloud's tips on cardboard storage.

Storage depends on the climate you live in.
In Hong Kong one does not need to add any humidity for dry storage - it's humid enough.
Here in Bangkok it is so humid that i would not store my tea in cardboard boxes because i would fear that it becomes too stuffy. I need more airflow.

I would also be very careful with added humidity in more dry climates, too much humidity and not enough airflow could ruin your tea.
+1. Very important where you live. A more humid location will be great with cardboard, but if you live in cold and dry area, plastic is a good choice.

Oct 2nd, '12, 15:08

by tst » Oct 2nd, '12, 15:08

What about an area with fluctuating weather?

Would cardboard not be a good option for cold and dry?

I live near Sacramento, CA and the weather here fluctuates pretty drastically. Our summers are hot (~95 degrees F) and dry (maybe RH in the 50s). Our winters are cold (~50 degrees F) with slightly higher humidity (maybe 70s-80s ... not sure as I wasn't recording RH last year).

Because of this, I do add water to my cardboard boxes. It is necessary in order to get the RH up to 60s-70s. I have to be extremely cautious with this temporary setup, and after I relocate into my more permanent home, I'll make the necessary adjustments.

One thing that has confused me is the different opinions on storage conditions. I've read that temps in the 70s and RH in the 70s is a good point to start. However I thought traditional HK storage is much higher than this ... so why don't they battle mold (or do they?)?

Oct 2nd, '12, 17:54

by TokyoB » Oct 2nd, '12, 17:54

How do you add water to either a plastic container or a cardboard box? It sounds dangerous!

Oct 2nd, '12, 23:51

by tst » Oct 2nd, '12, 23:51

TokyoB wrote:How do you add water to either a plastic container or a cardboard box? It sounds dangerous!
It can be. I use smaller tupperware containers and keep them about 3/4 full of water. Has worked pretty good so far, but I wouldn't do it if I lived in an area with frequent earthquakes :D

Oct 3rd, '12, 10:03

by theredbaron » Oct 3rd, '12, 10:03

Tead Off wrote:
theredbaron wrote: Here in Bangkok it is so humid that i would not store my tea in cardboard boxes because i would fear that it becomes too stuffy. I need more airflow.
I've had cakes in cardboard boxes here for years kept in my storage room without A/C. No problem. Each cake growing better tasting every year. Not one has developed a funky smell or taste.
I guess it depends.
I live in a non-aircon wooden two story house. Right now, with the heavy rains, humidity goes up to insane levels with a thin layer of mold even developing on some of my wooden furniture.
I have had a cake which i forgot for many years in a enclosed cupboard, which, when i found it, was seriously off. Another cake in the same cupboard was OK though.

Oct 3rd, '12, 10:23

by MarshalN » Oct 3rd, '12, 10:23

These things do depend on the tea itself. Some are more susceptible to mold than others.

Oct 3rd, '12, 11:29

by gasninja » Oct 3rd, '12, 11:29

I live in a house with wood heat in the North Eastern U.S. I feel like the winters would do some serious damage to my cakes as the rh in the winter will plumit. I keep my cakes in a large cupboard. I keep a tall pitcher of water in it. I have attached to the pitcher to the side so that it cannot spill? In the pitcher I keep an aquarium heater that I set at 92 degrees centigrade. The rh hangs out at a little over 75 in the summer, sometimes going slightly over 80 when it is very humid. In the winter it usually hovers around 70. I haven't measured the heat but I know the aquarium heater keeps it from getting to cold in the winter.

Oct 3rd, '12, 12:07
Vendor Member

by TIM » Oct 3rd, '12, 12:07

gasninja wrote:I live in a house with wood heat in the North Eastern U.S. I feel like the winters would do some serious damage to my cakes as the rh in the winter will plumit. I keep my cakes in a large cupboard. I keep a tall pitcher of water in it. I have attached to the pitcher to the side so that it cannot spill? In the pitcher I keep an aquarium heater that I set at 92 degrees centigrade. The rh hangs out at a little over 75 in the summer, sometimes going slightly over 80 when it is very humid. In the winter it usually hovers around 70. I haven't measured the heat but I know the aquarium heater keeps it from getting to cold in the winter.
New York winter with central heat can do much worst.... cardboard box, cupboard are no defense. :(

Oct 3rd, '12, 13:38

by Tead Off » Oct 3rd, '12, 13:38

theredbaron wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
I guess it depends.
I live in a non-aircon wooden two story house. Right now, with the heavy rains, humidity goes up to insane levels with a thin layer of mold even developing on some of my wooden furniture.
I have had a cake which i forgot for many years in a enclosed cupboard, which, when i found it, was seriously off. Another cake in the same cupboard was OK though.
The amount of air circulation will have something to do with how stagnant and humid a room will be. The room I keep my cakes in has vents that allow the outside air to penetrate the room. Direct sunlight never touches the walls or door so the room doesn't heat up as a closed off room would. I'm sure not all locations within a given climate will be either ideal or terrible. Maybe I've just been lucky. Like others have said, the way the tea is processed will also affect how it ages. Many, many, variables involved.

+ Post Reply