Is Pu-Erh an acquired taste?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Is Pu-Erh an acquired taste?

Postby Jasmine Green » Jul 5th, '06, 21:50

I recently bought some Pu-Erh from Teavana and I cannot seem to "appreciate" the flavor right now. Being a relatively new loose tea drinker, maybe it's something I have to work up to? Anybody else have trouble getting used to the "earthy" tones of Pu-Erh? Did you grow into it?
Jasmine Green

Postby Carnelian » Jul 5th, '06, 22:16

I'm anxious and nervous to try any pu erh, its fairly intimidating to me
Carnelian

It can be gross...

Postby bearsbearsbears » Jul 6th, '06, 01:43

I've never had the teavana pu'er, but I'm going to assume that it's of the "cooked" (shou) variety. If not brewed gongfu style (successive very short infusions), shou can be overwhelming and very gross. Indeed, shou can be overwhelming and gross even if brewed gongfu style if you don't take to its earthy flavors or get past the first two infusions.

If you are brewing it gongfu style, two 10-20 second rinses are recommended; perhaps even toss out the first infusion. It should be easier and more enjoyable this way.

If this still doesn't do the trick, try a different store's shou pu'er or give up on shou entirely. Don't swear off sheng ("raw") pu'er yet, though; when young, sheng tastes more like green tea than others, and when aged, it tastes far more refined and complex than any shou.

I would say, to finally answer your question, that shou is not an "acquired" taste, but a binary experience: either one loves it or hates it.

Post follow-up results based on any recommendations, and be specific about how you brew the tea to get better feedback. Good luck! 8)

bearsbearsbears

Postby jogrebe » Jul 6th, '06, 13:42

I'm not sure if your cooked puerh is loose or not, but if it is I'd recommend trying the compressed variety as those tend to be of a higher quality in my experience. Especially if by earthy you mean has musty overtones to its taste and small, as it is possible to find cooked puerh that is not at all musty.
jogrebe

I've had teavana's pu

Postby Walt » Jul 19th, '06, 20:07

and it was not good.

It's loose, and it's cooked. The leaves are smallish, like gong ting.

Smells ok, but tastes yucky. No life to it, and dirt taste never goes away.

That's a horrible representative of what pu-erh can be.
Walt

Postby yresim » Jul 21st, '06, 03:59

I wouldn't say it is an aquired taste. I knew I loved pu-erh after my first cup. That said, there are some really nasty pu-erh's out there, and I don't think you should make a decision based on a single brand.
yresim

Postby mataku527 » Aug 8th, '06, 05:37

My experience with pu-erh has been similar. I bought pu-erh from yunan sourcing on ebay, it was a small cake type.

I threw out the first two infusions and tried my best to enjoy the next infusions. I went through about 8 infusions twice in two different sittings. out of all those, there was one cup where it tasted wonderful, but I have not been able to emulate that one cup. with that said, I haven't taken too much time to drink tea with school being out and it being summer.

My suggestion is that you keep going at it, varying infusion times until you get a cup you like, if it's too strong, do a shorter infusion, just keep going at it until you find you are able to get a soft flavor of the pu erh to see if you like it.
mataku527

Postby Jasmine Green » Aug 8th, '06, 12:45

Yeah, I don't think I'm a fan of the Teavana pu Erh. Tried it again and even after other infusions could not get used to the taste. I think I will stick to my oolongs and darjeeling for now and try a different brand in the future. Anybody want this Teavana Pu Erh? I think I have about 2-3 ounces of it.
Jasmine Green

Yes it is

Postby lebowitz » Aug 22nd, '06, 22:43

It is quick to acquire a taste for Pu erh, i like mine with a bit of stevia in it. I started with the pu erh on adagio, its ok, but for real pu erh it has to come compressed in a cake, Yunnan Sourcing on ebay is the best place in the world to buy pu erh at a reasonable price! if anyone knows of a better place let me know!

Pu erh is truly wonderful to drink, i rarely drink anything else, except for yunnan gold!
lebowitz

Instant Messenger

Permissions