Storing Pu-erh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 29th, '13, 18:03

Storing Pu-erh

by Pompey » Aug 29th, '13, 18:03

I am interested in collecting pu-erh tea cakes, and from what I've been reading, they say air flow, a constant temperature of 68F-85F, and a humidity of 30%-50% but not over 65% for more than a few days. Would a wine cooler work, or do they have some sort of special product that can store pu-erh? I am just being very cautious, because I don't want to ruin a bunch of perfectly good tea all because I did something wrong. Thanks!

Aug 29th, '13, 18:40

Storing Pu-erh

by Exempt » Aug 29th, '13, 18:40

Your humidity is way to low to the point where your puerh will dry out and be ruined. Constant airflow is also bad for puerh. Cloud recommends 20-30 degrees Celsius at 70%-80% humidity with slight air exchange.

Use the search tool, there are tons of topics on this already

Aug 29th, '13, 18:57

Re: Storing Pu-erh

by BioHorn » Aug 29th, '13, 18:57

Exempt wrote:Your humidity is way to low to the point where your puerh will dry out and be ruined. Constant airflow is also bad for puerh. Cloud recommends 20-30 degrees Celsius at 70%-80% humidity with slight air exchange.

+1 search is your friend

Aug 29th, '13, 21:01

by mr mopu » Aug 29th, '13, 21:01

Exempt wrote:Your humidity is way to low to the point where your puerh will dry out and be ruined. Constant airflow is also bad for puerh. Cloud recommends 20-30 degrees Celsius at 70%-80% humidity with slight air exchange.

The above is what I am using. Humidity 70% , fan circulation every other day and air exchange and rotation once a week.

Aug 29th, '13, 21:06
Vendor Member

by TIM » Aug 29th, '13, 21:06

mr mopu wrote:

The above is what I am using. Humidity 70% , fan circulation every other day and air exchange and rotation once a week.
How long have you been aging it like so? Thanks for sharing.

Aug 29th, '13, 21:29

by mr mopu » Aug 29th, '13, 21:29

TIM wrote:
mr mopu wrote:

About 7 months now. I have an old refrigerator with shou in the lower part and sheng in the freezer part ( I copied this idea from Exempt). I have cigar humidifiers that keep the humidity at 70% . The fridge set very near to a central air vent that keeps it about 74 f or less. I have computer fans that move about 130 cfm in each section. Two up top and four in the bottom. The aroma is super nice when you open either section. Although I think I can learn a lot from you Tim. I am fairly new to this game for about 3 years or so and I try to learn something new every day. :D

Aug 29th, '13, 21:37
Vendor Member

by TIM » Aug 29th, '13, 21:37

mr mopu wrote:
TIM wrote:
mr mopu wrote:

About 7 months now. I have an old refrigerator with shou in the lower part and sheng in the freezer part ( I copied this idea from Exempt). I have cigar humidifiers that keep the humidity at 70% . The fridge set very near to a central air vent that keeps it about 74 f or less. I have computer fans that move about 130 cfm in each section. Two up top and four in the bottom. The aroma is super nice when you open either section. Although I think I can learn a lot from you Tim. I am fairly new to this game for about 3 years or so and I try to learn something new every day. :D
Thanks for the info. Im also learning, so we are shareing the experience.

"The aroma is super nice when you open either section." What I have learned so far, what's gone, is gone. So if it smell super nice, those characters will be gone with the wind for good... Try to safe that as much as you can. If you are a cigar smoker, you will know what I mean.

Have fun ~ T

Aug 29th, '13, 21:39

by mr mopu » Aug 29th, '13, 21:39

TIM wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
TIM wrote:
mr mopu wrote:

Thanks for the info. Im also learning, so we are shareing the experience.

"The aroma is super nice when you open either section." What I have learned so far, what's gone, is gone. So if it smell super nice, those characters will be gone with the wind for good... Try to safe that as much as you can. If you are a cigar smoker, you will know what I mean.

Have fun ~ T
The aroma is still good I am not sure but I don't think it has decreased but i am hoping it will remain.

Aug 29th, '13, 21:51

by Tead Off » Aug 29th, '13, 21:51

This is one of the reasons many people put their cakes into sealed plastic bags to preserve aroma and flavor. Exposure to air will deteriorate this just like with any other tea. It makes sense.

Aug 29th, '13, 22:01

by Exempt » Aug 29th, '13, 22:01

Tead Off wrote:This is one of the reasons many people put their cakes into sealed plastic bags to preserve aroma and flavor. Exposure to air will deteriorate this just like with any other tea. It makes sense.
A lot of people (like Marshaln) believe that doing this stops or severely limits the aging process

Aug 29th, '13, 22:10
Vendor Member

by TIM » Aug 29th, '13, 22:10

Exempt wrote:
Tead Off wrote:This is one of the reasons many people put their cakes into sealed plastic bags to preserve aroma and flavor. Exposure to air will deteriorate this just like with any other tea. It makes sense.
A lot of people (like Marshaln) believe that doing this stops or severely limits the aging process
Can you explain why would it stops or limits the aging process?

Aug 29th, '13, 22:22

by wert » Aug 29th, '13, 22:22

I am by no means any kind of expert in pu er.

Conventionally, from what I heard and seen, the cakes shouldn't be sealed in plastic bags. Just keeping it an airy and dry space away from sunlight will do. But, I suppose it could be quite different with your local climate and humidity.

Aug 29th, '13, 23:08

Storing Pu-erh

by Exempt » Aug 29th, '13, 23:08

wert wrote:Just keeping it an airy and dry space
I'm sorry but wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. Puerh needs humidity to keep the fermentation process going and constant airflow will make puerh loose all flavor and aroma.

Aug 29th, '13, 23:13

Storing Pu-erh

by Exempt » Aug 29th, '13, 23:13

TIM wrote:
Exempt wrote:
Can you explain why would it stops or limits the aging process?
As far as I'm aware puerh requires certain amounts of oxygen and airborne microbes to ferment. After a certain amount of time in a totally closed environment the necessary elements will be used or changed which will limit or stop the fermentation process.

Of course I don't know nearly as much about puerh as you so this may not be correct, however, I know Marshaln does not believe in sealing puerh and I respect his opinion as well.

Aug 30th, '13, 00:21

by MarshalN » Aug 30th, '13, 00:21

Hmm, I've been invoked...

I don't think constant airflow is the answer. In fact, my storage has very little airflow. I don't believe in sealing the tea, at least not when they're young (when we have 20 years old cakes it's a different problem) but I think airflow is bad.

I store my tea in a cupboard with doors. I only open it when I need something from it. It's not like a fridge door or anything - it will allow a minimal amount of air to circulate, but that's it. In a place like Hong Kong a tight seal runs a very high risk of mold.

Your mileage may vary, depending on your location and climate, but airflow, from what I've seen so far, is never a good idea.

+ Post Reply