Fake Dayis

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 5th, '13, 21:49

Re: Fake Dayis

by mr mopu » Dec 5th, '13, 21:49

AllanK wrote:
AllanK wrote:
20131121_191548_4.jpg
20131121_194805_2.jpg
20131121_194805_2.jpg
20131121_191537_3.jpg
I am wondering how you can tell if a Menghai Dayi is real or fake. I recently bought this tea for auction on Ebay. As I cannot know the theory it is fake is true I will not mention the seller. Some aspects seem slightly wrong. The seal was slightly different than other Dayis I have bought. The paper with the tea (the interior paper descriptive) was all black and white. If it is a fake it is a decent tea. It is a bit more camphory than other ripe Dayis I have drank. It was a 2009 Menghai Dayi 7572 Ripe Tea. It is just small and subtle things that make me wonder if it is a fake.
I finally got the real 7572 from Berylleb King Tea and there were several differences. First, the Berylleb one was up to Dayi standards and had no perceptible taste of camphor, unlike the probably fake. The Berylleb had two holograms on the inner ticket, the other only one. The hologram on the seal were slightly different between both. The Berylleb glowed green, the other white. The Berylleb tea seal was nearly impossible to peal off, just like a Dayi, the other came off much more clearly. Here are the photos.
Thanks Allan for posting. I am glad people are able to see the "real" difference on these cakes. These guys have the "real deal" on Dayi cakes and they are always my first choice when getting them. I have a "personal" contact for them if you are looking for something specific or to save some $. Thanks again for posting I have no doubts in the "Authenticy"of anything they sell. Top guys in my book!

Dec 6th, '13, 23:39

by AllanK » Dec 6th, '13, 23:39

mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
AllanK wrote:
20131121_191548_4.jpg
20131121_194805_2.jpg
20131121_194805_2.jpg
20131121_191537_3.jpg
I am wondering how you can tell if a Menghai Dayi is real or fake. I recently bought this tea for auction on Ebay. As I cannot know the theory it is fake is true I will not mention the seller. Some aspects seem slightly wrong. The seal was slightly different than other Dayis I have bought. The paper with the tea (the interior paper descriptive) was all black and white. If it is a fake it is a decent tea. It is a bit more camphory than other ripe Dayis I have drank. It was a 2009 Menghai Dayi 7572 Ripe Tea. It is just small and subtle things that make me wonder if it is a fake.
I finally got the real 7572 from Berylleb King Tea and there were several differences. First, the Berylleb one was up to Dayi standards and had no perceptible taste of camphor, unlike the probably fake. The Berylleb had two holograms on the inner ticket, the other only one. The hologram on the seal were slightly different between both. The Berylleb glowed green, the other white. The Berylleb tea seal was nearly impossible to peal off, just like a Dayi, the other came off much more clearly. Here are the photos.
Thanks Allan for posting. I am glad people are able to see the "real" difference on these cakes. These guys have the "real deal" on Dayi cakes and they are always my first choice when getting them. I have a "personal" contact for them if you are looking for something specific or to save some $. Thanks again for posting I have no doubts in the "Authenticy"of anything they sell. Top guys in my book!
Are there any ripe teas from Berylleb that you have liked in particular? I was impressed with their packaging and the tea was excellent, some of the best I have had.

Dec 6th, '13, 23:58

by mr mopu » Dec 6th, '13, 23:58

The Dayi "Real Taste Ripe"is a good one. The 2007 "Jade Luster" was good. Any of the "Old Tea Nubs" are good. The 2010 "High Mountain Charm". These are three good ones but I have never really had a "Bad' one from them. They ship quick and in very secure packaging as you know. Another plus is they always send a good quantity sample. I don't take recommending a seller lightly. Before I put my name on them I try to make sure they are top notch. I usually try to keep the order under about 1000 grams so they don't have to split it shipping. They tell me that over 1000 grams and customs may open it up' Glad you liked what they have and what did they send as a sample if I can ask? The last time they sent me a sample of 50 grams from a 100 gram toucha. It was the "Panda" toucha they sell.

Dec 8th, '13, 21:47

by AllanK » Dec 8th, '13, 21:47

mr mopu wrote:The Dayi "Real Taste Ripe"is a good one. The 2007 "Jade Luster" was good. Any of the "Old Tea Nubs" are good. The 2010 "High Mountain Charm". These are three good ones but I have never really had a "Bad' one from them. They ship quick and in very secure packaging as you know. Another plus is they always send a good quantity sample. I don't take recommending a seller lightly. Before I put my name on them I try to make sure they are top notch. I usually try to keep the order under about 1000 grams so they don't have to split it shipping. They tell me that over 1000 grams and customs may open it up' Glad you liked what they have and what did they send as a sample if I can ask? The last time they sent me a sample of 50 grams from a 100 gram toucha. It was the "Panda" toucha they sell.
They sent a very nice sample of Oolong tea in three 7g vacuum sealed bags, all in a nice pouch. I have not yet tried the sample. I will probably wait until after the holidays to put in another order. I was so impressed I gave them excellent feedback. The emailed me to thank me for giving them such good feedback. I think they will become my preferred ebay tea seller. When you say customs may open it up, do you mean Chinese customs or US customs? Or both?

Dec 9th, '13, 06:50

by mr mopu » Dec 9th, '13, 06:50

AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:The Dayi "Real Taste Ripe"is a good one. The 2007 "Jade Luster" was good. Any of the "Old Tea Nubs" are good. The 2010 "High Mountain Charm". These are three good ones but I have never really had a "Bad' one from them. They ship quick and in very secure packaging as you know. Another plus is they always send a good quantity sample. I don't take recommending a seller lightly. Before I put my name on them I try to make sure they are top notch. I usually try to keep the order under about 1000 grams so they don't have to split it shipping. They tell me that over 1000 grams and customs may open it up' Glad you liked what they have and what did they send as a sample if I can ask? The last time they sent me a sample of 50 grams from a 100 gram toucha. It was the "Panda" toucha they sell.
They sent a very nice sample of Oolong tea in three 7g vacuum sealed bags, all in a nice pouch. I have not yet tried the sample. I will probably wait until after the holidays to put in another order. I was so impressed I gave them excellent feedback. The emailed me to thank me for giving them such good feedback. I think they will become my preferred ebay tea seller. When you say customs may open it up, do you mean Chinese customs or US customs? Or both?
I think Chinese customs are the ones to worry about.

Dec 16th, '13, 18:39

by AllanK » Dec 16th, '13, 18:39

mr mopu wrote:
chin wrote:I got the light and used it on the tea. It had a hologram, but different from most of my other Dayis. It did not have the word Dayi light up. My question is, would the word Dayi light up? Are all holograms the same since 2008 or have they changed them?
Hi AllanK,

There are 2 identifications for every dayi tea cake. One is sticker on the wrapper and the other one is on the tea cake itself. As for 2008 and 2009 tea cakes, the identification sticker on the wrapper will light up the hologram of "益" and the identification on the tea cake will light up the hologram of "益" and "DAYI". Refererence below:
+1 Great info![/quote]

Are there also holograms on the cheaper V93 Ripe Touchas, specifically the 2010 variety? I am curious because I broke out my V93 touchas today and used the light, no hologram noticed.

+ Post Reply