Reusing tea on the next day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 22nd, '14, 08:25

Re: Reusing tea on the next day

by ole » Feb 22nd, '14, 08:25

I have done that a few times. Living in Norway mould is not that big of a concern over night anyway. Normally dry/cold conditions.

What really puzzles me is that I had a tieguanyin once that didn't taste much the first day, but always, without a fail bursted full of flavour when I reused it the following day. As if it just needed 24 hours to bloom to its full potential.

Feb 22nd, '14, 10:39
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 22nd, '14, 10:39

In summer, when it's hot and humid in HK, I never leave leaves in my pot for more than 24 hours; I always give the leaves a sniff test too. No problems yet.

In the cooler part of the year (it's now 14 degrees C out, or around 57 degrees, and most homes in HK are not insulated or heated), I can leave leaves in my pot for two days without any issues. Sometimes a long overnight brew can get you the last bit out of the tea before you clean your pot out, so I do this fairly often, but not as often as I used to.

Feb 24th, '14, 11:32

by tea girl » Feb 24th, '14, 11:32

ole wrote:I have done that a few times. Living in Norway mould is not that big of a concern over night anyway. Normally dry/cold conditions.

What really puzzles me is that I had a tieguanyin once that didn't taste much the first day, but always, without a fail bursted full of flavour when I reused it the following day. As if it just needed 24 hours to bloom to its full potential.
How did you store your leaves?

Feb 24th, '14, 11:34

by tea girl » Feb 24th, '14, 11:34

jayinhk wrote:In summer, when it's hot and humid in HK, I never leave leaves in my pot for more than 24 hours; I always give the leaves a sniff test too. No problems yet.

In the cooler part of the year (it's now 14 degrees C out, or around 57 degrees, and most homes in HK are not insulated or heated), I can leave leaves in my pot for two days without any issues. Sometimes a long overnight brew can get you the last bit out of the tea before you clean your pot out, so I do this fairly often, but not as often as I used to.
That is a good point to keep in mind. My house is overly-warm. My leaves are really just as good the next day as the first day. It seems so wasteful to discard them.

Feb 24th, '14, 22:01
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 24th, '14, 22:01

When drinking oolongs I like to get them over with in one day (ideally) but frequently finish them up the next day. I don't have time for five or more cups in a single session anymore.

Feb 24th, '14, 22:53

by tea girl » Feb 24th, '14, 22:53

jayinhk wrote:When drinking oolongs I like to get them over with in one day (ideally) but frequently finish them up the next day. I don't have time for five or more cups in a single session anymore.
That seems like a lot to me. I guess it is okay then to use the leaves the next day.

Feb 25th, '14, 00:36
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 25th, '14, 00:36

I prefer to use more leaf and go through more infusions; nice to watch your tea change to get a better feel for it. :)

Feb 25th, '14, 00:59

by tea girl » Feb 25th, '14, 00:59

It sounds good. I'll try it. Thanks :D

+ Post Reply