American storage

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 13th, '14, 11:26

Re: American storage

by gasninja » Feb 13th, '14, 11:26

90 to 100%!is way to high. They may get that high when traditional storing in Hong Kong but that is done by professionals for a short Time and regularly monitored. I would not want anything over 80 %for any periode of time. For home storage. But that is all relative to temperature and what you want your aged Puerh to taste like. 70-75%!is safer ( very little if any risk of mold). My pumidor is usually between 75-80% In the summer and 65-70 in the winter. But I also have a seperate storage area for cakes that I dont want to have that much higher humidity in the warmer months. Either because I want to preserve the there flavor or because they have already been traditionally(wet) stored and I want them to dry out. I only have a few cakes that are sealed. The only time I personally seal a tea is when it has already reached or is close to a desired level of maturity. I seal it to slow down its ageing.

Feb 13th, '14, 12:27

by mr mopu » Feb 13th, '14, 12:27

gasninja wrote:90 to 100%!is way to high. They may get that high when traditional storing in Hong Kong but that is done by professionals for a short Time and regularly monitored. I would not want anything over 80 %for any periode of time. For home storage. But that is all relative to temperature and what you want your aged Puerh to taste like. 70-75%!is safer ( very little if any risk of mold). My pumidor is usually between 75-80% In the summer and 65-70 in the winter. But I also have a seperate storage area for cakes that I dont want to have that much higher humidity in the warmer months. Either because I want to preserve the there flavor or because they have already been traditionally(wet) stored and I want them to dry out. I only have a few cakes that are sealed. The only time I personally seal a tea is when it has already reached or is close to a desired level of maturity. I seal it to slow down its ageing.
I agree on 70-75% rh max. If you are cooler than about 55F I would drop it even lower.

Feb 18th, '14, 22:10

by bonescwa » Feb 18th, '14, 22:10

Thanks for the info. I am just keeping my puerh in brown paper bags in a cardboard box in a room that's about 75F and 55% humidity during the winter. In the summer, it'll b higher temp and humidity (no central AC). Seems in line with what I've read here and on blogs.

Feb 18th, '14, 22:12

by Tead Off » Feb 18th, '14, 22:12

bonescwa wrote:Thanks for the info. I am just keeping my puerh in brown paper bags in a cardboard box in a room that's about 75F and 55% humidity during the winter. In the summer, it'll b higher temp and humidity (no central AC). Seems in line with what I've read here and on blogs.
Should be fine. Mine is presently 28-30c/60-67RH

Feb 27th, '14, 12:32

by BioHorn » Feb 27th, '14, 12:32

bonescwa wrote:Thanks for responding,
I normally do the waking up thing with what I've been drinking do far (mostly samples) and it probably helps.

Im getting tired of the sample thing. When I get done with a sample, I want a lot more of it. And I like pretty much every sample so this might end up being a lot of tea. I like pretty much everything I've tried in its own way (teaurchin new sheng, 90s sheng, big factory shu) and I like to buy things in bulk in general, especially if I can get a deal.

And with aged sheng being so expensive now, I guess this is just another thread hoping somebody has a way to do it for cheap, without having to deal with humidors and such. I'm young so it's kind of like, if I have the chance to get new and teenage sheng now, forget about it, and not ruin it for 40 years that would be cool, but I know that's not likely unless I live in HK or Florida.
It is a pretty hard prospect. Without proper humidity control, trying to age sheng in NE Ohio would be a waste. The results I have been having with aging pu using boveda packs has been promising.

Our region seems to be pretty well suited for storing yancha and balled oolongs. I live in Shaker Heights. If you would like to have some tea together sometime, just send me a PM. I would be glad to share the results.

Feb 27th, '14, 12:41

by shah82 » Feb 27th, '14, 12:41

You live away from the lake?

Feb 27th, '14, 12:45

by BioHorn » Feb 27th, '14, 12:45

shah82 wrote:You live away from the lake?
Hi S.
I live about six miles from the lake.

Feb 27th, '14, 13:20

by shah82 » Feb 27th, '14, 13:20

Okay, I would have thought you had plenty of humidity to dry store...not enough warm days, or too much conditioned air, I suppose...

Feb 27th, '14, 14:07

by BioHorn » Feb 27th, '14, 14:07

shah82 wrote:Okay, I would have thought you had plenty of humidity to dry store...not enough warm days, or too much conditioned air, I suppose...
Crispy critters for most of the year. Here is a graph of our dew point. June-September might, on average, be marginal.

+ Post Reply