Tea Shops in Los Angeles?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 7th, '14, 03:09

Tea Shops in Los Angeles?

by LEOSCAT » Feb 7th, '14, 03:09

I love exploring China town. I heard mention of A shop called Tak Shing Hong in a thread. Is it located in China Town? Is there any other shops that I might find some Pots or Pu? I know the quality may be questionable, but it will add to the fun of my trips downtown.

Feb 7th, '14, 04:31

Re: Tea Shops in Los Angeles?

by ClarG » Feb 7th, '14, 04:31

Explore various stores in Chinatown. That's what I do in the Chinatowns in Philadelphia/NYC. I've found some really nice non-Yixing tea pots and various teas, and restaurants that way.

Feb 7th, '14, 11:29

Re: Tea Shops in Los Angeles?

by wyardley » Feb 7th, '14, 11:29

Tak Shing Hong / T&S Emporium has a few locations, though I think the Chinatown one is closed. You will find more Chinese stuff in the SGV than in Chinatown. I'd go to the one on the south side of Garvey in Monterey Park, probably, if you're looking for tea, but it's not tremendously exciting. In the same area, there's also Valley Coffee and Tea (Ok for greener style Taiwan oolongs), and Wing Hop Fung (which also has a location in Chinatown, and which also operates the Bird Pick stores (a bit more targeted towards white folks, in higher rent areas, with higher prices for the same teas). The latter is probably your best bet, though personally, I buy most of my tea from out of town.

Tea Habitat no longer has a brick and mortar, but does tastings occasionally. Bana Tea also doesn't have a brick and mortar, but she occasionally does presentations / talks around town.

HK2 Market in Rowland Heights has a snack stand that sells some Lin's teaware.

+ Post Reply