Lao Ban Zhang - Real or Fake?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 12th, '14, 23:05

Re: Lao Ban Zhang - Real or Fake?

by AllanK » Feb 12th, '14, 23:05

Teaism wrote:You can tell by tasting it. I tried their LBZ in 2009. A vendor brought them in exclusively at the price of US$ 200 per bing of 357gm. There are whole stack of brochures that comes along with it. Pretty impressive. At that time, I felt it was too expensive for that quality of tea and didn't buy a single piece.

The LBZ era is long gone, even since then, so don't waste time on it.

Anyway, Puer market will collapse very soon in about 2 years' time and by that time, look out for high quality tea offered by desperate producer. That is what happen in 2007 when true LBZ was offered to the market.

Cheers!
If the market collapses, will tea get cheaper or more expensive?

Feb 17th, '14, 17:50

by bagua7 » Feb 17th, '14, 17:50

Teaism wrote:Anyway, Puer market will collapse very soon in about 2 years' time and by that time...
We shall come...like true hyenas. :lol:

Cheers!

Feb 17th, '14, 22:48

by bonescwa » Feb 17th, '14, 22:48

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... 2sfaliqdjf

Anyway to tell that this is fake without having to buy it? I hate cheap things like this, it makes me feel as though I might as well buy it, just in case.

Feb 18th, '14, 01:39

by Tead Off » Feb 18th, '14, 01:39

bonescwa wrote:http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... 2sfaliqdjf

Anyway to tell that this is fake without having to buy it? I hate cheap things like this, it makes me feel as though I might as well buy it, just in case.
It's not exactly a cheap price. This is a 200g cake. Is it real LBZ? Maybe he got lucky. If not, it could be a related tea that is also very good. Leaves look good. I don't see any sample for sale. Roll the dice?

Feb 18th, '14, 03:22

by Teaism » Feb 18th, '14, 03:22

The real LBZ cost 10-20 times that amount. Why do a vendor want to sell the real stuff that cheap? I am sure he is not that ignorant.
www.teaism99.com

Feb 18th, '14, 03:56

by Tead Off » Feb 18th, '14, 03:56

It was made about 4 years ago by the seller. This is before the big boom. But, if it's real, it's a steal. If it's just good tea, still not bad. Without someone tasting it and reporting the results, we are left with our thoughts, and you know what that is worth. :D

Feb 18th, '14, 11:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Feb 18th, '14, 11:38

I like the 'we'. Want to do the honors and sample it Teadoff? Please share thoughts after that :D

Does the tea look clean enough to you?
“A cup of tea would restore my normality.”
- Douglas Adams

Feb 18th, '14, 12:45

by Tead Off » Feb 18th, '14, 12:45

the_economist wrote:I like the 'we'. Want to do the honors and sample it Teadoff? Please share thoughts after that :D

Does the tea look clean enough to you?
That's what I was suggesting to Bonescwa in his post. But, I don't think the seller has samples to purchase + I am too far away to order tea from Amrikaa. Maybe you are closer to the seller and should take the plunge? :D
The photos look good.

Feb 18th, '14, 15:06

by the_economist » Feb 18th, '14, 15:06

That's what I was suggesting to you in my post. You know what they say about tea, it's not the physical distances that matter but the spiritual ones.
- Douglas Adams

Feb 18th, '14, 22:00

by bonescwa » Feb 18th, '14, 22:00

I'll include it in my next order :)
I know that people have said this shop sold fake 1998 cnnps but for simple, everyday tea I have enjoyed some of his offerings. It's interesting how the medium end sellers like him, Scott of YS, etc. have been releasing their own cakes lately. Is there a general idea of the quality/authenticity of these products? YS seems to be making a lot.

Feb 18th, '14, 22:09

by Tead Off » Feb 18th, '14, 22:09

bonescwa wrote:I'll include it in my next order :)
I know that people have said this shop sold fake 1998 cnnps but for simple, everyday tea I have enjoyed some of his offerings. It's interesting how the medium end sellers like him, Scott of YS, etc. have been releasing their own cakes lately. Is there a general idea of the quality/authenticity of these products? YS seems to be making a lot.
This kind of question can be answered through your direct experience with any seller. One drinker may find teas to their liking, while another may prefer to go somewhere else. It always works this way. If any seller is honest with themselves, they've all bought duds at one time or another.

Sellers making their own cakes is an attempt at control and selection according to their 'knowledge' of tea. This is a good direction, IMO. It brings the seller into contact with the farmers and producers and there are personal relationships forged. It also allows the seller to pass on real information about the teas to their buyers.

Feb 18th, '14, 22:39

by mr mopu » Feb 18th, '14, 22:39

bagua7 wrote:
Teaism wrote:Anyway, Puer market will collapse very soon in about 2 years' time and by that time...
We shall come...like true hyenas. :lol:

Cheers!
I have been howling at the moon for a couple of months now.

Feb 19th, '14, 00:43

by the_economist » Feb 19th, '14, 00:43

Tead Off wrote: Sellers making their own cakes is an attempt at control and selection according to their 'knowledge' of tea. This is a good direction, IMO. It brings the seller into contact with the farmers and producers and there are personal relationships forged. It also allows the seller to pass on real information about the teas to their buyers.
I would be a bit more conservative and say only the best sellers are able to extract real information from their contacts and pass them on.
- Douglas Adams

Feb 19th, '14, 02:57

by Tead Off » Feb 19th, '14, 02:57

the_economist wrote:
Tead Off wrote: Sellers making their own cakes is an attempt at control and selection according to their 'knowledge' of tea. This is a good direction, IMO. It brings the seller into contact with the farmers and producers and there are personal relationships forged. It also allows the seller to pass on real information about the teas to their buyers.
I would be a bit more conservative and say only the best sellers are able to extract real information from their contacts and pass them on.
I am referring to the sellers who are making their own private label cakes who are directly in contact with the farmers and processors. They get to see and pick the leaf and grades for their teas. Doesn't get any closer than this for real information for people like you and me. :D

Feb 19th, '14, 03:20

by shah82 » Feb 19th, '14, 03:20

ok...

1) This particular tea from puerhshop is very likely to be fake. 2009 was the last year just anyone could buy LBZ, and even then, most people didn't get particularly great LBZ. Broadly speaking, the last probable reasonably high quality LBZ that was sold in the West was probably the 2007 Diancha that Jase-teas sold. Otherwise, you're left with ChenShenHao when Red Lantern had the 2008 cake, 2009 and 2010 bricks, before 2011 when prices exploded. Those are not pure.

2) Only people with rock solid connections and real money behind them can get any of the good stuff direct from the farmers today. As MarshalN said in one of his posts, if you go there, and you're a nobody, you'll never actually be offered the best grades of tea. Easier to find the best stuff where the buyers of that particular teas are in the seaboard cities. Moreover, as a practical rule, just about any tea north of Jingmai will have the truly good stuff locked down. None of those areas really got the acreage to support more than maybe 2 tons of gushu demand at best. About five thousand pure cakes. The ancient groves are larger in Banna + Jingmai, but there's still only so many cakes, and it's also far better known. You can walk up and have your leaf selected and cakes made, but the good stuff will already have been spoken for.

+ Post Reply