2010-12 EoT cakes

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Mar 3rd, '14, 05:14

Re: 2010-12 EoT cakes

by solitude » Mar 3rd, '14, 05:14

thanks for the replies.

I also tried recently some of my Douji and ys cakes from 2010-11 (douji: nannuo, jingmai, yudou, jindou, YS: shang chun, san he zhai, cha qi, bada) and I was mostly happy with them. They often lack the strong qi or durability, but those 6-7 infusions are tasteful and can keep my attention. Also the price back then was ok.

Before we start to conclude that the EOT cake are inferior or poorly processed based on my post, I would like to know what do you guys think about those teas. Maybe it is a transient period or my expectations are just to high.

Mar 3rd, '14, 08:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Mar 3rd, '14, 08:04

solitude wrote: Before we start to conclude that the EOT cake are inferior or poorly processed based on my post, I would like to know what do you guys think about those teas. Maybe it is a transient period or my expectations are just to high.
Honestly I am really happy of the few EoT's bing that I have at home.

Mar 3rd, '14, 13:45

by shah82 » Mar 3rd, '14, 13:45

Well, Solitude, I, for example, have different priorities...Where you are interested in 6 strong tasting, complex brews, I'm far more interested in qi, aftertaste, dynamicism, etc.

Usually because when it comes to puerh, where the real money comes in, is when it has good aftertastes, qi, texture, etc...

I think the 2010 are much more negatively impacted than the 2011 EoT, and the 2012 is negatively impacted by the lower quality of leaves compared to previous years.

Mar 3rd, '14, 23:14

by Exempt » Mar 3rd, '14, 23:14

William wrote:
solitude wrote: Before we start to conclude that the EOT cake are inferior or poorly processed based on my post, I would like to know what do you guys think about those teas. Maybe it is a transient period or my expectations are just to high.
Honestly I am really happy of the few EoT's bing that I have at home.
Same. I have two cakes of the 2011 Mansai which have been getting thicker darker, and richer over the years in my humidor. I also have an unopened tong of the 2010 mansai but I have not tried this tea besides the samples that I originally received.

Mar 4th, '14, 03:54

by Tead Off » Mar 4th, '14, 03:54

The various opinions about EoT's cakes proves once again that it is important to rely on your own sensibilities regarding teas. Even at 'upper level' connoisseur tables, there will be differences of opinions and evaluations based on subjective concepts. Even the most obvious taste will be interpreted differently by various people. Puerh is the most argued about tea that I've come across, yet.

Mar 4th, '14, 04:12

by chrl42 » Mar 4th, '14, 04:12

Tead Off wrote:The various opinions about EoT's cakes proves once again that it is important to rely on your own sensibilities regarding teas. Even at 'upper level' connoisseur tables, there will be differences of opinions and evaluations based on subjective concepts. Even the most obvious taste will be interpreted differently by various people. Puerh is the most argued about tea that I've come across, yet.
Funny thing you've said that.

#1 In Korea, there have been a wine blind testing gathered by nation's greatest authorities. The result is shocking, for them the price didn't mean a thing :mrgreen:

#2 There also have been held a blind testing gathered by musicians, is to pick the best sounding violin. The played instruments range from modern normal to Stradivarius. The result is, no one chose antique Stradivarius :mrgreen:

#3 On online community, an art student made up a story, posted paintings and said last ones are drawn by him. And formal ones he named artists, famous ones. Most of them dissed his paintings, lots of 'so-called' experts appeared and explained why his paintings can't rival the previous ones. But the truth is he lied, what he lied as he had drawn them, was actually drawn by even MORE famous painter :mrgreen:

I don't much about Puerh, but in Yixing teapot, things are much more organized than above cases. And Puerh also seem to speak for their prices :mrgreen: (but just my humble opinion).

Mar 4th, '14, 09:23

by solitude » Mar 4th, '14, 09:23

Interesting notes :)
Well, Solitude, I, for example, have different priorities...Where you are interested in 6 strong tasting, complex brews, I'm far more interested in qi, aftertaste, dynamicism, etc.
Thats a good point, those boutique teas are often more dynamic during the session and they are clear winners if we talk about qi. On the other hand I lately find myself to prefer simple teas from the mid 2000s with plantation origin. (xiaguan and menghai tuos for instance). The taste is often well defined falling in the category of rich-sweet-tobacco, while picking up character as it gets more aged. My pocket likes my current preference :).
The various opinions about EoT's cakes proves once again that it is important to rely on your own sensibilities regarding teas. Even at 'upper level' connoisseur tables, there will be differences of opinions and evaluations based on subjective concepts. Even the most obvious taste will be interpreted differently by various people. Puerh is the most argued about tea that I've come across, yet.
I would also add that there is so many factor during tea tasting. I am trying to minimize the variables (tea/water ratio, brewing vessel, steeping time, water quality etc.) but there is a factor which is very difficult to control, and can have quite an impact, the mood. Sometime I practice mindful meditations or yoga before a tea session which can really change how do I experience a tea (besides other positive impacts).
#1 In Korea, there have been a wine blind testing gathered by nation's greatest authorities. The result is shocking, for them the price didn't mean a thing :mrgreen:
I was actually thinking to ask my wife to randomly pick up cakes or samples, take 5-6g and give it to me so I can taste them blindly. I think that would gave a honest opinion without biases.

Mar 5th, '14, 09:08

by bankung » Mar 5th, '14, 09:08

#2 There also have been held a blind testing gathered by musicians, is to pick the best sounding violin. The played instruments range from modern normal to Stradivarius. The result is, no one chose antique Stradivarius :mrgreen:
Being a violinist myself, and have owned and played some best modern makers and old ones.

I am sure that Strad would be chosen if its in good playing condition. For a violinist, its quite easy to tell if the violin is modern or 300 years old Italian from a sound, given the place to try is a good concert hall, not a small hotel room where those experiments fond of. For listeners, its more tricky though. However, if a modern and a Strad are recorded by the same player and same music, the audio quality difference would be pretty obvious.

Mar 5th, '14, 20:45

by chrl42 » Mar 5th, '14, 20:45

bankung wrote:
Being a violinist myself, and have owned and played some best modern makers and old ones.

I am sure that Strad would be chosen if its in good playing condition. For a violinist, its quite easy to tell if the violin is modern or 300 years old Italian from a sound, given the place to try is a good concert hall, not a small hotel room where those experiments fond of. For listeners, its more tricky though. However, if a modern and a Strad are recorded by the same player and same music, the audio quality difference would be pretty obvious.
You know...I didn't mean anything against or disrespectful (as I've also been in the field of classical music)...I just recollect funny cases of past, but that's all.

I remember the tunes Heifetz used to have, it was nothin but 'close to heaven' :) I am sure Strad is just what it's supposed to be, although I think the player is *more* important factor than the instrument.

Cheers :D

Mar 6th, '14, 16:22

by solitude » Mar 6th, '14, 16:22

2011 Mansai today

Quite good session. No tea for two days so it felt really good to have a long session. Brewed in gaiwan with softer water than I usually use and i think it did the trick. Some woodiness is starting to clearly develop.

BTW, after so many experiments with yixings, porcelain seems to be the winner for young shengs. I wanted to raise a pot for this group of tea so badly but I may have to give it up :(

Mar 9th, '14, 09:30

by gasninja » Mar 9th, '14, 09:30

I recently have try to check a few of my EOT cakes every couple of months. I tried the 2010 bangwei a couple days ago. I did not enjoy this tea for a while and it has become much more enjoyable recently. I think that the 2010&11 teas are a more little thin and have a touch of harshness that is not present in the 2012 teas.The 2012 where not as imeadiately appealing as the earlier cakes but in the not so long run they have proved to be the better teas. I still feel they are decent active teas. Active meaning I can taste them evolving. So they will probably continue to improve.
I have had the same issue as Solitude. I have tasted a few of the 10/11 Eot cakes at one pointor another and they seemed flat and and rough. But I have retasted and mostly they have bounced back. Watching this has altered my preceptions on ageing a little. Teas can go through akward stages or the teas environment can negatively impact the way a tea behaves.

Mar 9th, '14, 11:22

by solitude » Mar 9th, '14, 11:22

gasninja wrote:I recently have try to check a few of my EOT cakes every couple of months. I tried the 2010 bangwei a couple days ago. I did not enjoy this tea for a while and it has become much more enjoyable recently. I think that the 2010&11 teas are a more little thin and have a touch of harshness that is not present in the 2012 teas.The 2012 where not as imeadiately appealing as the earlier cakes but in the not so long run they have proved to be the better teas. I still feel they are decent active teas. Active meaning I can taste them evolving. So they will probably continue to improve.
I have had the same issue as Solitude. I have tasted a few of the 10/11 Eot cakes at one pointor another and they seemed flat and and rough. But I have retasted and mostly they have bounced back. Watching this has altered my preceptions on ageing a little. Teas can go through akward stages or the teas environment can negatively impact the way a tea behaves.
It is good to read that I am not the only one with this impression. I also think that those teas are now in an awkward period. The fresh, floral, grassy notes are vanishing but the aged characters is not much present yet. lets see how do they perform in another 3-4 years.

Did some of you tried to seal some of the EOT cakes or other similar boutique cakes?

Oct 10th, '15, 05:38

by PuerhCollector » Oct 10th, '15, 05:38

I had recently revisited EOT’s Bulang teas and this is my contribution to the compilation of views. IMO Bulang tea is not for everyone :shock: but if you are a hardcore tea drinker and interested in building a long term collection the sheer power and content found in the potent tea leaves that hail from Bulang makes for an attractive consideration. EOT’s Bulang teas are fully loaded and are loud and aggressive in the best way. It is worth remembering at the start of your brewing session that a little goes a long way.

For those interested in reading the full entry on the 4 EOT’s Bulangs the linked is provided below.

http://theguidetopuerhtea.blogspot.com/ ... 20of%20Tea

Best, VP
Attachments
EOT Bulang 2009_2012 sml.jpg
EOT Bulang 2009_2012 sml.jpg (25.22 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

Oct 10th, '15, 08:45

by Tead Off » Oct 10th, '15, 08:45

+1! Indeed, those Bulang teas can pack a punch. I just want mine without smokiness. :lol:

Oct 10th, '15, 09:51

by mr mopu » Oct 10th, '15, 09:51

That was a nice article. I drank the 2012 at the same time as well. Nice blog to follow along as well.

+ Post Reply